04-12-2019 05:48 AM
56 123
tools
    I think we can all agree that carriers still have way too much control over Android OEMs and for me bloat is all the stupid carrier apps installed on the phones. Everything else is definitely subjective. I know many Apple users would consider a lot of the apps installed by Apple bloat LOL.
    Yeah, pretty much everything on the first page, save for the weather.
    03-04-2019 01:07 AM
    I’ve always heard about crazy amounts of bloatware in androids. Seeing as this will be my first is there anything on the 10 I should be ready to delete right away?
    You should at least try the apps. You might actually like some of them, whether it's the carrier apps or OEM apps. Personally, I've always liked Samsung's calendar and email apps better than google's apps. And I end up keeping two or three carrier apps because it's useful. Again, all personal preference.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-04-2019 01:27 AM
    I'm just trying to figure out where people think the "bloatware" line is. Apparently, people will declare that what THEY don't want on a phone is, by definition, "bloatware".

The term "bloatware" has been stretched into meaninglessness.
    For me .. Facebook = bloat. Calendar app? Not so much bloat.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-04-2019 02:17 AM
    Bloatware is always there in android you cant escape from it. If you need a phone without any bloatware buy android one devices or pixel devices or PH1.
    03-04-2019 03:00 AM
    At least in the terms of PCs, bloatware could prove to be a security issue: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...rid-of-it.html

Bloatware is a subjective term. But everyone seems to agree that it is an unwanted program or app. Sure, Samsung thinks it's doing everyone a favor by installing Facebook as a system app on their phones, but there are going to be some people who don't want it on their devices. That still makes Facebook a bloatware app.
    03-04-2019 08:43 AM
    I think we can all agree that carriers still have way too much control over Android OEMs and for me bloat is all the stupid carrier apps installed on the phones.
    ANY carrier app?

Carrier account app, to log into your account? Visual voicemail app?

Remember, Android is a toolkit--not an operating system and UI. Compare that to iOS, which is at the exact opposite corner of the spectrum--it's a cohesive operating system and UI (whether you like it or not).

So it seems that in either case, you get what you get whether you like it or not. There's no real middle ground.

The other way to handle it is to do everything as a web app, and make all of the "apps" nothing but shortcuts to the web address. We have a local pizza chain that does that. They don't have an app per se, but they say they do and they put it into the app store, but it's just a shortcut to their web site which is highly optimized for mobile.
    03-04-2019 09:17 AM
    I'm just trying to figure out where people think the "bloatware" line is. Apparently, people will declare that what THEY don't want on a phone is, by definition, "bloatware".

I am with you on T-Mobile. I use all 3 T-mobile apps all the time. But Verizon is the pits, you have to use their dialer etc. One reason I would never use Verizon.
    03-04-2019 09:46 AM
    I am with you on T-Mobile. I use all 3 T-mobile apps all the time. But Verizon is the pits, you have to use their dialer etc. One reason I would never use Verizon.
    Huh? You have to use "their dialer" for what? I am lost lol.
    03-04-2019 11:23 AM
    Huh? You have to use "their dialer" for what? I am lost lol.
    I may be thinking of the Verizon messaging app then, I thought they had their own phone dialer app as well.
    03-04-2019 11:45 AM
    I may be thinking of the Verizon messaging app then, I thought they had their own phone dialer app as well.
    Nope.. same apps T-Mobile has Verizon has as well (account/vm/etc.) -- Hell even Verizon is now offering Caller ID Blocking for free whereas before it cost (because Verizon).
    03-04-2019 11:50 AM
    This is purely my opinion of course and it's not a popular one. But the word "bloatware" is extremely overrated and overused.

When I ordered my S10, I could have very easily ordered the unlocked version. But I ordered the AT&T one because I don't get caught up in this "bloatware" nonsense.

I much prefer being able to use AT&T's advanced messaging features and wifi calling. My girlfriend and I have really enjoyed the advanced messaging features on our AT&T phones and we didn't want to give that up. Not to mention we can walk into an AT&T store if something goes wrong with our phones.

Also, you can uninstall or disable 99% of the apps that AT&T puts on the phone. And in reality it's only like 8 apps lol. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like they are putting 2gb games on the phone.

I've had tons (more than I would admit lol) of phones over the years. I have not once noticed better performance or battery life on an unlocked phone. It's all hogwash.

And last but not least, I get software updates faster on the carrier phone. When I recently had my Note 9, I got the Pie update a few weeks ago. As of last week my buddy with an unlocked Note 9 still didn't receive the Pie update.

Once again, this is just my personal opinion. But I think it's all overrated.
    03-04-2019 11:57 AM
    It is true that the consensus seems to be that carrier Galaxy phones get updates whereas unlocked models pretty much don't get any update love at all.

And I agree 1000% that I've never seen different performance or battery life from carrier phones vs unlocked.
    03-04-2019 08:22 PM
    Samsung has an app for Windows not sure about others that let you message from your computer.
    03-05-2019 02:04 PM
    Samsung does? That would be good, because Google's Messages app on the phone stinks with regard to notifications--but I use it because it has the web app on my computer.

I will look. I don't use Windows, but still, I'll take a look.
    03-05-2019 02:16 PM
    Samsung Flow?? Microsoft also has one called "Your Phone Companion". I use Google messages never had an issue regarding notifications.
    03-05-2019 02:43 PM
    You don't have to use any Verizon apps at all
    03-05-2019 03:03 PM
    Just got the S10 from Verizon. For the S9, Samsung offered backup/restore and spam blocking for free. Now, both are gone and Verizon has inserted their fee based options which not only cost more than FREE but also suck. Thanks, Verizon. I want the Samsung stuff back...
    03-07-2019 04:22 PM
    I got the unlocked version and it has facebook on it and will not let me delete it!! I dont like crap book, I dont want it on my phone, I paid 1000$ for something I cant control whats on it, thats what is really issing me off...this is the first time (this is first unlocked phone) I have not been able to delete that crappy app.

thats why you order the unlocked version, i will never buy a android from a carrier again
    03-07-2019 04:30 PM
    Just got the S10 from Verizon. For the S9, Samsung offered backup/restore and spam blocking for free. Now, both are gone and Verizon has inserted their fee based options which not only cost more than FREE but also suck. Thanks, Verizon. I want the Samsung stuff back...
    Their spam app stuff is supposed to be good.

Sometime this month the fee based one will be free so that's a plus.
    03-07-2019 04:47 PM
    Their spam app stuff is supposed to be good.

Sometime this month the fee based one will be free so that's a plus.
    That is a plus. I hope they updated it because the version I have now isn't as good as Samsung's product.
    03-07-2019 04:48 PM

Apps that are not needed by the user because they have an app that they prefer over the app that cannot be removed and still shows up in things like sharing items. Example is the factory email app that I've never used. Another is redundant ones like the factory sms and Verizon's Message +, both do overlapping things but neither can be removed. Package Disabler was fine until I had to reinstall it and that requires a third purchase because the developer won't honor my previous purchases
    03-18-2019 08:45 AM
    My only gripe with Samsung on this phone is that I can't disable their apps but if you are going to use them, really there isn't much that's too bad. My previous phones didn't let me uninstall but I could at least disable. Unfortunately Samsung really doesn't allow it. I would love to kill - contacts, email, messages, internet, gallery, calendar and every single trace of Bixby... but I just turn every permission I can find off and pretend they are not there.
    filanto likes this.
    03-18-2019 09:57 AM
    Apps that are not needed by the user because they have an app that they prefer over the app that cannot be removed and still shows up in things like sharing items. Example is the factory email app that I've never used. Another is redundant ones like the factory sms and Verizon's Message +, both do overlapping things but neither can be removed. Package Disabler was fine until I had to reinstall it and that requires a third purchase because the developer won't honor my previous purchases
    Attached Thumbnails Bloatware-18039.jpg  
    04-10-2019 10:52 PM
    PD doesnt seem to work on my S10P.
    04-10-2019 11:22 PM
    PD doesnt seem to work on my S10P.
    It fails to install even though it is in my list of apps in the play store. I'll live with the bloat since I just bought the app last year and the developer won't stand behind the purchase. Not buying again
    04-11-2019 09:27 AM
56 123