Bloatware

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I recently deleted Facebook from my Note 9 (I still have the messenger app though). I got rid of it because it kept pushing me the "suggested friends" notifications, and would do bizarre things like sending me the same notification several times in a row even as I was furiously dismissing it. Turning off the suggested friends feature didn't work so I finally just had to remove the app.

Dang, my battery life has markedly improved!
FYI Facebook on the Samsung internet browser with ad block plus works pretty well and doesn't eat your battery.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, then, for that matter simply don't put ANY default apps on the phone AT ALL.

Make NO decisions on behalf of the end user. He may not even WANT a calendar app, for example.

Let the end user seek out only whatever apps he wants.

So the phone should come with a blank screen? And you assemble your own Android. Now that would be... Interesting 😂

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm just trying to figure out where people think the "bloatware" line is. Apparently, people will declare that what THEY don't want on a phone is, by definition, "bloatware".

The term "bloatware" has been stretched into meaninglessness.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm just trying to figure out where people think the "bloatware" line is. Apparently, people will declare that what THEY don't want on a phone is, by definition, "bloatware".

It is subjective.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

It is subjective.

I think we can all agree that carriers still have way too much control over Android OEMs and for me bloat is all the stupid carrier apps installed on the phones. Everything else is definitely subjective. I know many Apple users would consider a lot of the apps installed by Apple bloat LOL.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I think we can all agree that carriers still have way too much control over Android OEMs and for me bloat is all the stupid carrier apps installed on the phones. Everything else is definitely subjective. I know many Apple users would consider a lot of the apps installed by Apple bloat LOL.

Yeah, pretty much everything on the first page, save for the weather.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I’ve always heard about crazy amounts of bloatware in androids. Seeing as this will be my first is there anything on the 10 I should be ready to delete right away?

You should at least try the apps. You might actually like some of them, whether it's the carrier apps or OEM apps. Personally, I've always liked Samsung's calendar and email apps better than google's apps. And I end up keeping two or three carrier apps because it's useful. Again, all personal preference.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

For me .. Facebook = bloat. Calendar app? Not so much bloat.

FentyRihanna

Dec 31, 2018
Visit site
Bloatware is always there in android you cant escape from it. If you need a phone without any bloatware buy android one devices or pixel devices or PH1.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
At least in the terms of PCs, bloatware could prove to be a security issue: https://www.computerworld.com/article/2966113/bloatware-what-it-is-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it.html

Bloatware is a subjective term. But everyone seems to agree that it is an unwanted program or app. Sure, Samsung thinks it's doing everyone a favor by installing Facebook as a system app on their phones, but there are going to be some people who don't want it on their devices. That still makes Facebook a bloatware app.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I think we can all agree that carriers still have way too much control over Android OEMs and for me bloat is all the stupid carrier apps installed on the phones.

ANY carrier app?

Carrier account app, to log into your account? Visual voicemail app?

Remember, Android is a toolkit--not an operating system and UI. Compare that to iOS, which is at the exact opposite corner of the spectrum--it's a cohesive operating system and UI (whether you like it or not).

So it seems that in either case, you get what you get whether you like it or not. There's no real middle ground.

The other way to handle it is to do everything as a web app, and make all of the "apps" nothing but shortcuts to the web address. We have a local pizza chain that does that. They don't have an app per se, but they say they do and they put it into the app store, but it's just a shortcut to their web site which is highly optimized for mobile.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

I am with you on T-Mobile. I use all 3 T-mobile apps all the time. But Verizon is the pits, you have to use their dialer etc. One reason I would never use Verizon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am with you on T-Mobile. I use all 3 T-mobile apps all the time. But Verizon is the pits, you have to use their dialer etc. One reason I would never use Verizon.

Huh? You have to use "their dialer" for what? I am lost lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I may be thinking of the Verizon messaging app then, I thought they had their own phone dialer app as well.

Nope.. same apps T-Mobile has Verizon has as well (account/vm/etc.) -- Hell even Verizon is now offering Caller ID Blocking for free whereas before it cost (because Verizon).

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
This is purely my opinion of course and it's not a popular one. But the word "bloatware" is extremely overrated and overused.

When I ordered my S10, I could have very easily ordered the unlocked version. But I ordered the AT&T one because I don't get caught up in this "bloatware" nonsense.

I much prefer being able to use AT&T's advanced messaging features and wifi calling. My girlfriend and I have really enjoyed the advanced messaging features on our AT&T phones and we didn't want to give that up. Not to mention we can walk into an AT&T store if something goes wrong with our phones.

Also, you can uninstall or disable 99% of the apps that AT&T puts on the phone. And in reality it's only like 8 apps lol. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like they are putting 2gb games on the phone.

I've had tons (more than I would admit lol) of phones over the years. I have not once noticed better performance or battery life on an unlocked phone. It's all hogwash.

And last but not least, I get software updates faster on the carrier phone. When I recently had my Note 9, I got the Pie update a few weeks ago. As of last week my buddy with an unlocked Note 9 still didn't receive the Pie update.

Once again, this is just my personal opinion. But I think it's all overrated.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
It is true that the consensus seems to be that carrier Galaxy phones get updates whereas unlocked models pretty much don't get any update love at all.

And I agree 1000% that I've never seen different performance or battery life from carrier phones vs unlocked.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Samsung does? That would be good, because Google's Messages app on the phone stinks with regard to notifications--but I use it because it has the web app on my computer.

I will look. I don't use Windows, but still, I'll take a look.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Flow?? Microsoft also has one called "Your Phone Companion". I use Google messages never had an issue regarding notifications.