Under Display FPS works great!

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Apparently you need to tap the screen and it supposed to work very well.
If you moosh your thumbprint into the screen too hard it's not surprising it doesn't work.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
That's fair.

Well, people complained the iPhone one didn't work well, till people learned how to use it correctly. I am expecting the same from this as well. I mean, we see videos of people showing it working great out there. With normal FPS sensors, its recommended to move your finger around when scanning so it grabs different parts of your finger to allow it to unlock more reliably.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, people complained the iPhone one didn't work well, till people learned how to use it correctly. I am expecting the same from this as well. I mean, we see videos of people showing it working great out there. With normal FPS sensors, its recommended to move your finger around when scanning so it grabs different parts of your finger to allow it to unlock more reliably.

Yeah with any new tech there is bound to be human error. People will learn but Samsung can only explain it on the phone how to set it up. If people don't follow.. well.. that's on them.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, so far, the only one here who actually has the phone says it's finicky. Maybe he's not using it right, or maybe it will be improved with software updates, or maybe it's just not going to work well for some people. Jury still out on that one.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, so far, the only one here who actually has the phone says it's finicky. Maybe he's not using it right, or maybe it will be improved with software updates, or maybe it's just not going to work well for some people. Jury still out on that one.

There is definitely a learning curve with the under glass FPS. It will take some time for me to get used to it and hopefully should become easier. The real PITA is finding the spot to rest your finger when the display is off!

Additionally, I hope that Samsung keeps improving this with some software updates. I have received one update and that did improve the recognition somewhat.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It's first gen, so it's going to be hit and miss until people figure out the most effective way to use it, which probably means using it in a very straight forward, muscle memory type way.

Face ID improved tremendously with the XS. I suspect the Note 10 and other fall releases will nail it.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely a learning curve with the under glass FPS. It will take some time for me to get used to it and hopefully should become easier. The real PITA is finding the spot to rest your finger when the display is off!

Additionally, I hope that Samsung keeps improving this with some software updates. I have received one update and that did improve the recognition somewhat.
Couldn't they incorporate a position indicator as part of the AOD?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
After watching the video, it seems the trick is to tap the screen very lightly and briefly. This is going to be a new approach to many people who are used to more firm fingerprint presses and leaving the finger on the screen for a longer period of time. I'm thinking it actually will end up working quite well once we get used to the way it needs to be used.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
From the reviews I've seen, it works very well. Again it's a tap, and not a hard prolonged press. Like others point out it will just take time to learn it.

nndlb123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There is a update available now which makes it more reliable. We have them at work and for me works every time as long as you hit the correct spot. Also Samsung says they are going to add a position marker to AOD as an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumythgrewal