Under Display FPS works great!

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
It's first gen, so it's going to be hit and miss until people figure out the most effective way to use it, which probably means using it in a very straight forward, muscle memory type way.

Face ID improved tremendously with the XS. I suspect the Note 10 and other fall releases will nail it.

Is it as secure as an iris scanner?

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I agree, the FPS is not that impressive. I've had my device since Thursday so in the 4-5 days I've owned the S10+ I had it ask to "press harder", "keep your finger pressed a little longer", "make sure your finger covers the entire senor" or just "no match" at least more than dozen times. I've even gone as far as registering my thumb as 4 separate finger prints.

And this is all post day 1 FPS hardware update. I'm not suggesting it's horrible but it's not "quick" or reliable by any means. At least not in my experience using it. I'm hoping that future software updates make the reading slightly quicker so that only a tap is required rather than a full 1-2 second press.

And keep in mind, it also requires you to use almost the full surface of your thumb versus just the end or tip of your thumb.

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
After watching the video, it seems the trick is to tap the screen very lightly and briefly. This is going to be a new approach to many people who are used to more firm fingerprint presses and leaving the finger on the screen for a longer period of time. I'm thinking it actually will end up working quite well once we get used to the way it needs to be used.

I saw that video as well prior to owning the S10+. I have yet to get my FSP to work exactly as shown in that video. I also tried to register my thumb 4 separate times twice hoping for different results. Not once has a "tap" worked for me. It will always say "press harder".

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
So far, from the 3 people I have seen in the forums that actually have the phone, the FPS is not so great. Hopefully updates can improve it.

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
So far, from the 3 people I have seen in the forums that actually have the phone, the FPS is not so great. Hopefully updates can improve it.

It's still very usable. Just don't expect it to be 100% reliable. Also, I'd be hesitant in showing off this particular feature to your friends as a party trick because using it from a completely locked, black screen has an even lower rate of success. Using it from the lock screen helps because you can see the placement where they want you to press.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I will miss the Iris scanner secured way of unlocking hands free

Iris scanning on the S8 was a bit of a hassle for me. Apparently, my normal facial expression is "squinty" and I always had to enlarge my eyes for recognition. Either the S9+ improved squinty eye recognition, or it always unlocked using facial recognition for me ( I suspect facial), as I never had problems with unlocking that phone.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the FPS is not that impressive. I've had my device since Thursday so in the 4-5 days I've owned the S10+ I had it ask to "press harder", "keep your finger pressed a little longer", "make sure your finger covers the entire senor" or just "no match" at least more than dozen times. I've even gone as far as registering my thumb as 4 separate finger prints. ....

That's disappointing to hear. I don't think I've a single failure on the S9+ rear finger print reader. I hope the user experience is better or improved in near future.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Iris scanning on the S8 was a bit of a hassle for me. Apparently, my normal facial expression is "squinty" and I always had to enlarge my eyes for recognition. Either the S9+ improved squinty eye recognition, or it always unlocked using facial recognition for me ( I suspect facial), as I never had problems with unlocking that phone.

Yeah the s9+ and note 9 improved it a lot as they used both facial recognition and iris to make it faster and accurate

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I've found a way to get it to be a little more reliable. I have scanned the same finger a second time and it seems to be a little more effective now.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I love using facial recognition on the S9 Plus with Iris I think they called it intelligent scan. I don't remember but I use it now I just know I look into the phone and I look where I see this red dot an my phone unlocks right away. I'm just used to that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I love using facial recognition on the S9 Plus with Iris I think they called it intelligent scan. I don't remember but I use it now I just know I look into the phone and I look where I see this red dot an my phone unlocks right away. I'm just used to that.

Yes , will miss that
But at least my note9 and s9+ has it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae