Why would Samsung make their first Flagships for this year not compatible with 5G? 5G is coming by the 2nd half of this year, and I wanted to get the S10 Plus. Now I'm in a dilemma of waiting til past June to get the 5G version, or getting the regular plus this week. I would have preferred all S10s to come with 5g capabilities for the price they are selling them. I have the S9+ and now I dont know if I should wait for the 5G version
    03-04-2019 10:41 PM
    Why would Samsung make their first Flagships for this year not compatible with 5G? 5G is coming by the 2nd half of this year, and I wanted to get the S10 Plus. Now I'm in a dilemma of waiting til past June to get the 5G version, or getting the regular plus this week. I would have preferred all S10s to come with 5g capabilities for the price they are selling them. I have the S9+ and now I dont know if I should wait for the 5G version
    It's going to be several years before 5G is useful. At this point you're going to end up paying more money for something that you won't be able to use for a while, and even then it's going to be very limited. Save your money, and once the phone hardware has matured it might be worth getting.
    03-04-2019 10:58 PM
    That's very true. Just like when LTE was first introduced. Thanks lol now I'm gonna stick to the S10 Plus and enjoy it til 5G is in full, solid effect
    03-04-2019 11:08 PM
    That's very true. Just like when LTE was first introduced. Thanks lol now I'm gonna stick to the S10 Plus and enjoy it til 5G is in full, solid effect
    Good plan. If you keep your phones for two years, by that time 5G should be more widespread and the tech will have matured. It should even be significantly more mature by this time next year.
    03-05-2019 07:32 AM
    that was my initial thoughts as well, but unless you live in the few area's actually being deployed, it would be a waste now anyway. I figure by my next phone in 2 years, it will be the next version of the Fold, thats half as thick, $500, does 5G, and has 10Tb of memory in it...
    03-05-2019 07:36 AM
    Agree with the above. Plus, 5G always seems connected primarily with handsets even though handset data speed improvement is more evolutionary than revolutionary. It's real disruptive value is in other areas. Imagine going from 1 choice of cable broadband internet providers to 4-5 and not having to be slave to the physical cable at all. Dramatically improved services like traffic control, emergency services, AR, etc. The only people that will have it in the next year or two probably already solid 4G services anyway.
    03-05-2019 08:43 AM
    I don't think its Samsung's fault. Verizon won the bid and Verizon Wireless is slow on everything. They are slow giving out updates and all of that stuff. I think a big part is Verizon that's delaying the phone. I wanted the 5G phone as well really bad. However, when Verizon's CEO didn't give us a time frame I know the 5G phone wouldn't be out anytime soon. It sounded like typical big red (a.k.a Verizon Wireless). So I said forget it, and I will get a normal factory unlock S10+.

To me if it was AT&T, T-Mobile, etc... that won the bid. The 5G phone would be out with the regular S10 phones.
    03-05-2019 11:31 AM
    Reading statements from Qualcomm, they are basically saying the first gen 5G chips is a bit of a dog. Takes a lot of space in a phone for all the components, uses a lot of battery, and will only be compatible with the carrier it is made for. Second gen 5G chips (later this year, in phones very end of this year, or next year) addresses these issues. Between this, and the very limited carrier 5G deployment we will actually see, I understand why Samsung did this. It's basically just not really ready yet, despite the hype.
    03-05-2019 11:37 AM
    I don't think its Samsung's fault. Verizon won the bid and Verizon Wireless is slow on everything. They are slow giving out updates and all of that stuff. I think a big part is Verizon that's delaying the phone. I wanted the 5G phone as well really bad. However, when Verizon's CEO didn't give us a time frame I know the 5G phone wouldn't be out anytime soon. It sounded like typical big red (a.k.a Verizon Wireless). So I said forget it, and I will get a normal factory unlock S10+.

To me if it was AT&T, T-Mobile, etc... that won the bid. The 5G phone would be out with the regular S10 phones.
    Why would they launch a 5G phone when there's not one iota of a network to use it?
    03-05-2019 05:24 PM
    5G is not going to be ubiquitous in the 2nd half of this year -- maybe a city or two. I don't know where you got the idea that 5G is going live like LTE in the 2nd half of the year.
    03-05-2019 06:05 PM
    I live in Houston Tx, and have T-Mobile. That's the information the executives have spread. So that's where I got "the idea" from. Direct quotes from T-Mobile.
    5G is not going to be ubiquitous in the 2nd half of this year -- maybe a city or two. I don't know where you got the idea that 5G is going live like LTE in the 2nd half of the year.
    03-06-2019 10:30 PM
    I live in Houston Tx, and have T-Mobile. That's the information the executives have spread. So that's where I got "the idea" from. Direct quotes from T-Mobile.
    Don't trust executives. They will say anything to sell anything. Remember -- they aren't your friends.
    03-06-2019 10:40 PM
    Why would they launch a 5G phone when there's not one iota of a network to use it?
    Why would a carrier roll out a new technology when not one phone can make use of it?

Things have to start somewhere.
    03-06-2019 10:48 PM
    Why would a carrier roll out a new technology when not one phone can make use of it?

Well it makes more sense for the carriers to launch first then phones support versus the other direction.
    03-06-2019 10:50 PM
    Well it makes more sense for the carriers to launch first then phones support versus the other direction.
    My main point is that someone has to be first.

It's funny, though, because remember all the complaints that the Note 9 would not be compatible with 5G? That was before any carrier or any phone (these complaints were before the actual N9 release, mind you) had the tech and people were already acting as if it was obsolete.

Tech enthusiasts are a finicky bunch. Lol
    03-06-2019 10:54 PM

You mean like how they rolled out LTE? Or 3G? Both of those technologies had fairly substantial suburban/city coverage before any devices went on sale. At the rate we're going, 5G coverage will be essentially non existent when the first phones go on sale.
    03-06-2019 10:56 PM
    My main point is that someone has to be first.

It's funny, though, because remember all the complaints that the Note 9 would not be compatible with 5G? That was before any carrier or any phone (these complaints were before the actual N9 release, mind you) had the tech and people were already acting as if it was obsolete.

Tech enthusiasts are a finicky bunch. Lol
    Network first, then devices.
    03-06-2019 10:57 PM
    Network first, then devices.
    Tell that to the N9 crowd.
    03-06-2019 11:16 PM
    Because that's typical Verizon.
    03-09-2019 11:07 AM
    Far more important than 5G right now, is 802.11ax or Wifi 6. These phones have it, and it's awesome.
    03-09-2019 11:13 AM
    Because that's typical Verizon.
    Except it's not Verizon. It's Samsung launching the phone.
    03-09-2019 11:36 AM
    Except it's not Verizon. It's Samsung launching the phone.
    Yes but Verizon paid the most money to Samsung and won the bid war to be the frist ones to have the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G phone. If this was AT$T or some other carrier my opinion is that they would have the 5G version out now or very soon. Not wait until June or later.
    03-09-2019 11:40 AM
    Yes but Verizon paid the most money to Samsung and won the bid war to be the frist ones to have the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G phone. If this was AT$T or some other carrier my opinion is that they would have the 5G version out now or very soon. Not wait until June or later.
    My mistake. I thought all of the S10's were 5G compatible.
    03-09-2019 11:46 AM