May i ask how best to transfer everything from the old phone (S9+) to new phone (S10+) please?

during the past one or two new phone transfers, i was able to use the Smart Switch app on the phone to do this. i used one of their included double headed plugs (in the box), and plugged the charging cable from the old phone to the new phone.

the Smart Switch app says press this if this is the old phone, and press that if this is the new phone.

is this the best way to do this transfer, please?

btw, i already bought another new microSD card for the S10+. my feeling is that if i left the old card in the S9+ during the transfer, and put the new card in the S10+ phone, the chances of the transfer going smoothly and getting as much as possible fully transferred is higher. if i pulled the old card out of the S9+ before the transfer and put it into the S10+ before the transfer, and THEN doing the Smart Switch, i'm concerned that the filing structure of the two phones might be different and the Smart Switch might get confused and the result might not be ideal.

any advice would be most appreciated. thanks.
    03-05-2019 09:53 AM
    I don't believe that Smart Switch transfers the contents of the SD card from one device to another.

You can however have Smart Switch on the original phone use the SD card as the destination and then move the SD card to the new phone and Smart Switch there will restore the contents.
    03-05-2019 10:05 AM
    I don't believe that Smart Switch transfers the contents of the SD card from one device to another.

You can however have Smart Switch on the original phone use the SD card as the destination and then move the SD card to the new phone and Smart Switch there will restore the contents.
    @bbgpsuser:

thanks for your advice.

i fear that doing what you said might be another option, i.e. using the SD card as the destination, doing the Smart Switch (on the old phone), and then transferring the SD card to the new phone, and only then do the Smart Switch on the new phone, things might get convoluted and might not work out as neatly or as well.

i figure that by buying a new card every year (some new card advances almost every year, slightly faster, with new standards, etc), it would allow for as seamless a transfer as one can hope for.

still, certain things get screwed up, i have found.

nonetheless, most things are transferred over well and one can be reasonably comfortable to start using the new phone relatively quickly, compared with the old days.

may i ask roughly how long you estimate the Smart Transfer to take using the data cable and the included "OTG" on the go plus (included in the box)?

i seem to recall that it takes something like 2 hours if not more for me!!
    03-05-2019 10:11 AM
    @bbgpsuser:

thanks for your advice.

i fear that doing what you said might be another option, i.e. using the SD card as the destination, doing the Smart Switch (on the old phone), and then transferring the SD card to the new phone, and only then do the Smart Switch on the new phone, things might get convoluted and might not work out as neatly or as well.

i figure that by buying a new card every year (some new card advances almost every year, slightly faster, with new standards, etc), it would allow for as seamless a transfer as one can hope for.

still, certain things get screwed up, i have found.

nonetheless, most things are transferred over well and one can be reasonably comfortable to start using the new phone relatively quickly, compared with the old days.

may i ask roughly how long you estimate the Smart Transfer to take using the data cable and the included "OTG" on the go plus (included in the box)?

i seem to recall that it takes something like 2 hours if not more for me!!
    I have used Smart Switch and a cable in the past and then just moved the SD card from the old phone to the new one. Never had an issue.

How long it takes depends on how much stuff you have for it to transfer over.
    03-05-2019 12:14 PM
    I have used Smart Switch and a cable in the past and then just moved the SD card from the old phone to the new one. Never had an issue.

How long it takes depends on how much stuff you have for it to transfer over.
    Backing up to the SD card is faster, & it's reliable...10 minutes to back up (11 GB, used 6.6 GB on the card), around that long to restore. In the time it takes me to drive to the store, my phone can be fully backed up.
    jamezr likes this.
    03-05-2019 03:09 PM
    Backing up to the SD card is faster, & it's reliable...10 minutes to back up (11 GB, used 6.6 GB on the card), around that long to restore. In the time it takes me to drive to the store, my phone can be fully backed up.
    I plan to back my Note 9 on a 256GB SD Card then put it in my new S10+ when it comes tomorrow and restore it. This way all my settings messages and call history and music is all restored.
    03-05-2019 03:51 PM
    My current phone (s9+) I have used 56.1GB out of 64GB used of internal storage and 41.2GB out of 238.4GB on my 256GB SD card. I'm not gonna use that current sd card in my new s10 because I purchased a 512GB SD card to place my current one. How do I make sure ALL my content from internal storage and sd card get on my new sd card that'll be in my s10 plus?
    03-05-2019 04:53 PM