Unlocked vs Carrier? Pros/Cons?

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Planning on getting a S10 Friday and I've always used ATT/Galaxy phones but I was thinking since these phones are so expensive, why be locked to a single carrier if I decide to change carriers sometime down the line (say I move and ATT doesn't work as good as another provider at my new location) but will I lose anything feature wise going to an unlocked phone? I feel anymore like a unlocked phone will feel more like mine because I'm free to use whatever carrier I want with it but I'm worried I might lose some carrier specific functions like perhaps auto data limit warnings or account apps or even support. But on the other hand, I pay $1000 for a phone then later decide I want to switch carriers then the phone is basically a throw away? School me.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I've always used ATT/Galaxy phones but I was thinking since these phones are so expensive, why be locked to a single carrier if I decide to change carriers sometime down the line (say I move and ATT doesn't work as good as another provider at my new location) but will I lose anything feature wise going to an unlocked phone? I feel anymore like a unlocked phone will feel more like mine because I'm free to use whatever carrier I want with it but I'm worried I might lose some carrier specific functions like perhaps auto data limit warnings or account apps or even support. But on the other hand, I pay $1000 for a phone then later decide I want to switch carriers then the phone is basically a throw away? School me.

Typically updates on unlocked are slower. I am not sure on getting features your carrier offers like wifi calling etc. I would guess when you put in their sim you would but someone else would know that answer.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't use WiFi calling with the pre-paid account anyway.... Not that I ever used it. I normally work out in the country outdoors where WiFi isn't available anyway...

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
I've always gotten unlocked in recent years because I use my phones on Project Fi / Google Fi. The carriers have eased up on some things but I also don't want to deal with the "red tape" when it comes to what I can and can't do. I need the freedom to do whatever I choose.

acroyle

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just received my unlocked S10 from Samsung direct and I do not have wifi calling. I haven't noticed anything else.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in a postpaid plan with ATT, but decided to pre-order an unlocked S10e. From my research, I'll lose wifi calling, visual voice mail and video calling. I do like those features, so I might exchange it for an Att version.

As jlangner mentioned, the updates might be slower with an unlocked version, but at least you'll get them. If you do get an Att phone, you can always request an unlock code from Att once you have paid off the phone. Then you can use it with any GSM carrier. However, if you do switch carriers, then you won't able to get updates unless you use an Att SIM when the update becomes available.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I've always gotten unlocked in recent years because I use my phones on Project Fi / Google Fi. The carriers have eased up on some things but I also don't want to deal with the "red tape" when it comes to what I can and can't do. I need the freedom to do whatever I choose.

...except an unlocked phone that is not a Fi-certified phone ends up living on T-Mobile prepaid service.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in a postpaid plan with ATT, but decided to pre-order an unlocked S10e. From my research, I'll lose wifi calling, visual voice mail and video calling. I do like those features, so I might exchange it for an Att version.

As jlangner mentioned, the updates might be slower with an unlocked version, but at least you'll get them. If you do get an Att phone, you can always request an unlock code from Att once you have paid off the phone. Then you can use it with any GSM carrier. However, if you do switch carriers, then you won't able to get updates unless you use an Att SIM when the update becomes available.
You can get visual voicemail by downloading their app. I've used it many times on unlocked devices. However wifi calling your out of luck. Unless it's the pixel it will not work.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
"...except an unlocked phone that is not a Fi-certified phone ends up living on T-Mobile prepaid service."

----

I've always activated it in my Nexus and popped it in the new phone and it seems to work fine. I get LTE and what feels like good coverage. Yes it does not switch carriers. Lately it hasn't been an issue anyway because FI is taking most phones now anyway. I'm on OnePlus 6 now and it's fully compatible.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
As jlangner mentioned, the updates might be slower with an unlocked version, but at least you'll get them.

That's a big, big maybe. Many people report that pretty much, updates on the Samsung sold unlocked phones don't exist.

You can get visual voicemail by downloading their app. I've used it many times on unlocked devices. However wifi calling your out of luck. Unless it's the pixel it will not work.

Which is interesting, because Blackberry made the KEYone take on the complete T-Mobile personality when the SIM was installed. Every functionality was there, just like it came from the T-Mobile store.

They chose to do that because they knew T-Mo would never carry a branded version of their phone, therefore they had to if they wanted to sell any.

But Sammy makes T-Mo branded phones, with full functionality, and I wonder how much input T-Mobile had in encouraging Sammy to leave carrier-specific functionality out of their unlocked units.

So Samsung had the choice to do unlocked phones right, but chose not to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a big, big maybe. Many people report that pretty much, updates on the Samsung sold unlocked phones don't exist.

My experience in Canada is the opposite. I get the security updates with or before my carrier's version.

And, I have all the functions that other Rogers subscribers do — including VVM and WiFi calling.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My experience in Canada is the opposite. I get the security updates with or before my carrier's version.

And, I have all the functions that other Rogers subscribers do — including VVM and WiFi calling.

Just to counterpoint, US Unlocked Note 9, still on Oreo and December security update.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
My understanding is that carrier versions got slower updates because the updates needed to go through carrier approval and the unlocked devices didn't have a middle man. Am I wrong?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So I have a question on the unlocked version of phones. Are we able to block OS updates, such as blocking a phone from going to pie from Oreo, or will it be forced like the carriers. Thanks

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that carrier versions got slower updates because the updates needed to go through carrier approval and the unlocked devices didn't have a middle man. Am I wrong?
As of late yes. The carrier versions have gotten updates before the unlocked models in the U.S. at least.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... Now I'm even more confused on which one to buy, lol.

Unlocked = freedom of carrier but potentially slower updates and use of less features (in which I might not use anyway which you can't use WiFi calling on the pre/post paid whatever you want to call it accounts anyway)

Carrier phone can get an unlock code if the phone is paid off (which I'll be buying my phone cash all at once regardless) but will only get updates after unlock only if you use the original carriers sim card. Carrier phone will potentially get updates sooner, possibly more support, but you're kinda SOL if you want to switch providers and I feel these damned phones are too expensive and too much like a PC to be locked to one cell phone service provider UNLESS there's some high discount involved - imagine having your expensive high end PC tied to your internet service provider or your TV tied to your TV provider? Wouldn't make sense... Same concept here...

I think I'll still go unlocked just for the feeling that I'm more the owner of my phone and I can freely choose my cell phone service provider since I'm paying cash outright all at once for the device....

So the updates for the unlocked phones where do they come from? Samsung themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

You also lose HD Voice.. I'm on ATT and using my Note 9 but it is not an ATT model. It was flashed onto it. For me, HD Voice is important because of call quality. Only reason why I'm going to trade in my Note 9 for ATT model S10+.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I always say I'm going to leave The Red Devil, but I can honestly say I've never not had coverage. They are a little more expensive but worth it to me. I ordered directly from Samsung and opted for the carrier version.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I always say I'm going to leave The Red Devil, but I can honestly say I've never not had coverage. They are a little more expensive but worth it to me. I ordered directly from Samsung and opted for the carrier version.

Your typo almost fits. Coverage when I think you meant courage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan