11-23-2019 07:10 PM
81 1234
tools
    Unlocked works on all carriers and no bloat, and last to get updates. Pick your poison.
    06-30-2019 07:44 AM
    We did unlocked and now that I know I am staying with Verizon I want to just get a Verizon branded next time. Wish I had one now for my S10 Plus for the quicker updates mostly but something I read is coming to text messaging that we won't have in unlocked is RSC which sounds cool. Can unlocked phones be flashed to Verizon firmware than be the same as getting a Verizon phone? Has anyone ever done that?
    06-30-2019 10:32 AM
    We did unlocked and now that I know I am staying with Verizon I want to just get a Verizon branded next time. Wish I had one now for my S10 Plus for the quicker updates mostly but something I read is coming to text messaging that we won't have in unlocked is RSC which sounds cool. Can unlocked phones be flashed to Verizon firmware than be the same as getting a Verizon phone? Has anyone ever done that?
    Yes it can be done.
    06-30-2019 11:52 AM
    Yes it can be done.
    So then I would get quicker updates and have everything else regular Verizon people get when buying a Verizon phone? I don't know I am just thinking about it!
    06-30-2019 12:16 PM
    So then I would get quicker updates and gave everything else regular Verizon people get when buying a Verizon phone? I don't know I am just thinking about it!
    It be quick updates because carrier version get it faster then unlocked, it be exactly same how you buy Verizon version.

Edit: you can go back forth
    06-30-2019 12:18 PM
    It be quick updates because carrier version get it faster then unlocked, it be exactly same how you buy Verizon version.

Edit: you can go back forth
    Thanks, That should of said have not gave. I just hear people talking about the texting and RSC . Off topic but my husband BTW ended up having to send his phone into Samsung and they replaced the motherboard he now has no signal issues and we still have better signal with Verizon than Sprint. Anyway thanks have a good weekend. I am off to work! :-(
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-30-2019 12:30 PM
    Thanks, That should of said have not gave. I just hear people talking about the texting and RSC . Off topic but my husband BTW ended up having to send his phone into Samsung and they replaced the motherboard he now has no signal issues and we still have better signal with Verizon than Sprint. Anyway thanks have a good weekend. I am off to work! :-(
    Glad your husband phone is fixed now , if you need help if you go that way to flash Verizon version let me know. You have a great weekend also , im going work also
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    06-30-2019 12:34 PM
    @Rose4uKY, updates depend on the IMEI, not carrier/unlocked, so by flashing the Verizon version all you'll "gain" is more bloatware and being at the end of the update list (since Verizon doesn't have the IMEI of unlocked phones on their update distribution list).

As for RCS, that depends on two things - whether the carrier supports it and whether the text app you use supports it. Flashing the Verizon version of Android has no effect on whether Verizon supports which part of RCA (there are many parts, some of which haven't even been designed yet). Using Google Messages as your texting app (and keeping it updated) makes sure that you'll always have the latest parts of RCS as soon as they're released.
    libra89 and Rose4uKY like this.
    06-30-2019 02:36 PM
    So I bought an unlocked S10+ from Best Buy. I am on ATT and not going anywhere. I bought the unlocked to avoid the bloatware. I was also able to get the visual voicemail working. But cannot get VoLTE/Wifi calling on this device. I could go back to BB and return the unlocked and get ATT provisioned S10+. Worth it? Would love some opinions. Thanks
    if your SIM card came from an AT&T branded phone, then your account should be enabled for those things and they should work.

If not, simply find someone with an AT&T branded phone. Insert his SIM card into your phone. This will marry the phone IMEI to the AT&T database, at which point it will have those features.

Thank the Blackberry community for discovering this.
    06-30-2019 09:47 PM
    @Rose4uKY, updates depend on the IMEI, not carrier/unlocked, so by flashing the Verizon version all you'll "gain" is more bloatware and being at the end of the update list (since Verizon doesn't have the IMEI of unlocked phones on their update distribution list).

As for RCS, that depends on two things - whether the carrier supports it and whether the text app you use supports it. Flashing the Verizon version of Android has no effect on whether Verizon supports which part of RCA (there are many parts, some of which haven't even been designed yet). Using Google Messages as your texting app (and keeping it updated) makes sure that you'll always have the latest parts of RCS as soon as they're released.
    Oh Ok Thanks! My next phone will be Verizon one but it will be a while we own our S10 plus's and my husband said we have to keep these for a while. I'm too much of a phone junkie and he said I can't keep switching. LOL!
    07-01-2019 10:39 AM
    I've just always moved my T-Mobile sim to new phones. It came from a locked T-Mobile phone, so maybe I just luckily avoided all the issues when I bought an unlocked S10 direct from Samsung. I have HD voice, wifi calling, and visual voice mail (if I wanted it). I actually prefer to route my voicemail over to my google voice number for voice mail. I'm sure there is something I'm not getting by having an unlocked phone, but I'm not sure what it is. I could have bought a T-Mobile version, but they were sold out during the pre-order phase, so I went unlocked. I don't regret it at this point. I get great connectivity. When I'm downtown Atlanta, I get 100+ mb/s down with about a 40mb/s up.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is why they delay the updates for the unlocked US phone til the end of the carrier updates. Seems like I should get it before the carriers.
    07-05-2019 09:41 AM
    if your SIM card came from an AT&T branded phone, then your account should be enabled for those things and they should work.

If not, simply find someone with an AT&T branded phone. Insert his SIM card into your phone. This will marry the phone IMEI to the AT&T database, at which point it will have those features.

Thank the Blackberry community for discovering this.
    In Canada, and with Samsung at least - as long as you buy a "Canadian" unlocked model, a brand new phone out of the box will initialize your carrier firmware / features on boot up. So it essentially becomes a "locked" phone with carrier features enabled. As far as I know this only works with Samsung but it may work with other brands as well.
    07-05-2019 07:20 PM
    In Canada, and with Samsung at least - as long as you buy a "Canadian" unlocked model, a brand new phone out of the box will initialize your carrier firmware / features on boot up. So it essentially becomes a "locked" phone with carrier features enabled. As far as I know this only works with Samsung but it may work with other brands as well.
    This is how Apple sells phones via Best Buy and similar. The first SIM card it sees locks it into being that branded phone.

The ONLY place you can buy a new completely and always unlocked iPhone is directly from Apple.
    07-05-2019 09:11 PM
    This is how Apple sells phones via Best Buy and similar. The first SIM card it sees locks it into being that branded phone.

The ONLY place you can buy a new completely and always unlocked iPhone is directly from Apple.
    Then again Apple is sort of a moot point here because Apple actually has control over its phones and OS so the customer experience tends to be a reflection of the carrier only (as it should be) as opposed to who you bought your phone from.
    07-05-2019 09:58 PM
    My experience in Canada is the opposite. I get the security updates with or before my carrier's version.

And, I have all the functions that other Rogers subscribers do — including VVM and WiFi calling.
    US unlocked s9+ averaged once every 4 months, if your lucky on getting updates.
    07-08-2019 03:55 AM
    US unlocked s9+ averaged once every 4 months, if your lucky on getting updates.
    Doesn't seem to have gotten better. I have two AT&T unlocked S10+ phones. I have one flashed to the T-Mobile firmware and one with the unlocked models firmware.

The unlocked is on the May 1 update and the T-Mobile is on the June 1 update.
    07-08-2019 04:50 AM
    Doesn't seem to have gotten better. I have two AT&T unlocked S10+ phones. I have one flashed to the T-Mobile firmware and one with the unlocked models firmware.

The unlocked is on the May 1 update and the T-Mobile is on the June 1 update.
    I thought someone said if you flash to the carriers firmware you still have to wait for unlocked updates but you flashed to T mobile and you already have June? I am on unlocked and still on May and was wondering difference if I flashed to Verizon Firmware. My next phone will be Verizon and not unlocked.
    07-08-2019 10:29 AM
    I thought someone said if you flash to the carriers firmware you still have to wait for unlocked updates but you flashed to T mobile and you already have June? I am on unlocked and still on May and was wondering difference if I flashed to Verizon Firmware. My next phone will be Verizon and not unlocked.
    Hi Rose
    If you have the unlocked version and flashed to a carrier you would get the updates from the carriers your not on the unlocked firmware anymore,which is usually faster then unlocked firmware.

Unlocked version wait to all 4 carriers give it a pass then they get it.

Carrier sim unlocked is same follow carrier updates.
    07-08-2019 11:13 AM
    Hi Rose
    If you have the unlocked version and flashed to a carrier you would get the updates from the carriers your not on the unlocked firmware anymore,which is usually faster then unlocked firmware.

Unlocked version wait to all 4 carriers give it a pass then they get it.

Carrier sim unlocked is same follow carrier updates.
    Oh Ok Thanks! I asked about flashing to Verizon and if it would turn it into like buying a Verizon branded phone cause I also wanted the RSC I think it's called for texting when it got turned on and I was told it would work with Messaging Plus but anyway someone said flashing to Verizon they would still know it was unlocked due to IMEI number or something and that I wouldn't get updates any quicker. So I decided against but maybe I'll consider it again I don't know.
    07-08-2019 11:28 AM
    Oh Ok Thanks! I asked about flashing to Verizon and if it would turn it into like buying a Verizon branded phone cause I also wanted the RSC I think it's called for texting when it got turned on and I was told it would work with Messaging Plus but anyway someone said flashing to Verizon they would still know it was unlocked due to IMEI number or something and that I wouldn't get updates any quicker. So I decided against but maybe I'll consider it again I don't know.
    Yeah once you flash to Verizon firmware it's exactly like you purchased from Verizon and will get updated from Verizon even though you have unlocked version phone when you flash you convert it . And you you can always go back to unlocked if choose to.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    07-08-2019 11:36 AM
    Yeah once you flash to Verizon firmware it's exactly like you purchased from Verizon and will get updated from Verizon even though you have unlocked version phone when you flash you convert it . And you you can always go back to unlocked if choose to.
    Oh wow thanks I didn't know and someone else on here said different in another thread but thanks I may consider it now. But I hate to have to restore my phone again LOL!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-08-2019 11:41 AM
    Oh wow thanks I didn't know and someone else on here said different in another thread but thanks I may consider it now. But I hate to have to restore my phone again LOL!
    Yes definitely back everything up , when your ready I can guide you .
    I flash my phones often between carrier and unlocked use 2 different carrier also .
    07-08-2019 11:47 AM
    Yes definitely back everything up , when your ready I can guide you .
    I flash my phones often between carrier and unlocked use 2 different carrier also .
    Really so it's not hard to do. Does that mess with the warranty? Anyway thanks! I have to think about it.
    07-08-2019 12:05 PM
    Really so it's not hard to do. Does that mess with the warranty? Anyway thanks! I have to think about it.
    It shouldn't , your not flashing a custom ROM, it's a official stock Samsung firmware.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    07-08-2019 12:06 PM
    Yeah, but there's another reason: Rooting. That was possible on unlocked versions but not carrier versions from ATT and Big V.
    08-11-2019 06:36 PM
81 1234