Unlocked vs Carrier? Pros/Cons?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My experience in Canada is the opposite. I get the security updates with or before my carrier's version.

And, I have all the functions that other Rogers subscribers do — including VVM and WiFi calling.

It's only in the US unlocked models, Samsung bends over back to carriers and ****supposedly they have to certify the updates from carriers even for unlocked models ****

I'm like really, if i wanted certification from carriers then I would just buy the carrier version

jhous3s

Mar 7, 2019
Visit site
Every phone up until my VZW Note 9 Has been SIM Unlocked even while financed. My Financed S10+ Arrived today, activated and inserted my T-Mobile Sim. The phone rejected the sim with a Message reading "Sorry, your device cant be activated on another carrier right now."

Bummer.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
That, among other things is why I only buy unlocked. Some of the carriers have the most antiquated rules and they change often. I've never really been impressed with anyone at the store level. I buy unlocked phones and I have Google FI / Project FI. Everything works and I've never had to call or talk to a human in 3 years and 6 different phones.

jhous3s

Mar 7, 2019
Visit site
Whats funny is the phone will accept the T-Mobile SIM and be able to make calls for like a minute after a reboot. Then BAM, no service.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I've always gotten unlocked in recent years because I use my phones on Project Fi / Google Fi. The carriers have eased up on some things but I also don't want to deal with the "red tape" when it comes to what I can and can't do. I need the freedom to do whatever I choose.

Amen to that! I started going unlocked with the N4.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Every phone up until my VZW Note 9 Has been SIM Unlocked even while financed. My Financed S10+ Arrived today, activated and inserted my T-Mobile Sim. The phone rejected the sim with a Message reading "Sorry, your device cant be activated on another carrier right now."

Bummer.
That's because Verizon just started locking their phones again. As part of the their deal to get 700mhz coverage they weren't supposed to do that. Up until now they had honored it. Now they're saying due to fraud they plan to lock them for the first 60 days. After that they'll be unlocked automatically. FCC isn't gonna do anything about it due to who is in charge of it currently.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That's because Verizon just started locking their phones again. As part of the their deal to get 700mhz coverage they weren't supposed to do that. Up until now they had honored it. Now they're saying due to fraud they plan to lock them for the first 60 days. After that they'll be unlocked automatically. FCC isn't gonna do anything about it due to who is in charge of it currently.
I'm with Verizon, I got the note 8 on launch day. That should not be locked, correct... Thanks

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Verizon, I got the note 8 ok launch day. That should not be locked, correct... Thanks
Yeah the Note 8 shouldn't be locked. This will be the first major phone release since they started doing it so all S10s will be locked for the first 60 days that you own them. They did it a little with the Pixel 3 but then backtracked and undid it.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... Now I'm even more confused on which one to buy, lol.

Unlocked = freedom of carrier but potentially slower updates and use of less features (in which I might not use anyway which you can't use WiFi calling on the pre/post paid whatever you want to call it accounts anyway)

Carrier phone can get an unlock code if the phone is paid off (which I'll be buying my phone cash all at once regardless) but will only get updates after unlock only if you use the original carriers sim card. Carrier phone will potentially get updates sooner, possibly more support, but you're kinda SOL if you want to switch providers and I feel these damned phones are too expensive and too much like a PC to be locked to one cell phone service provider UNLESS there's some high discount involved - imagine having your expensive high end PC tied to your internet service provider or your TV tied to your TV provider? Wouldn't make sense... Same concept here...

I think I'll still go unlocked just for the feeling that I'm more the owner of my phone and I can freely choose my cell phone service provider since I'm paying cash outright all at once for the device....

Thank you for this thread. I went with the unlocked (s10e) myself and I feel the same way as you about it being locked to a carrier if I want to switch, which I think I will be doing. I also went with it because less bloatware (I'm on cricket). The last time I tried an ATT Samsung phone (not a recent one), there was all of these AT&T apps that couldn't be removed, only disabled.

I'm bummed about missing out on HD Voice and WiFi calling though. I don't really need the latter but it has its uses. I'm having hangups on the HD Voice part, I'll have to think about if I will really miss that. I use that on my iPhone all the time.

amthill39

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
Do the carrier models still have the AT&T branding on the back of the phone? I read the S8 models finally got rid of the branding, curios if that is the case for all Samsung phones now.

rongotti

May 4, 2017
Visit site
That's a big, big maybe. Many people report that pretty much, updates on the Samsung sold unlocked phones don't exist.
Nah, that's BS, I am on my third Samsung unlocked phone in a row and I have had no issues at all with updates (T-Mobile and Verizon)

I always say I'm going to leave The Red Devil, but I can honestly say I've never not had coverage. They are a little more expensive but worth it to me. I ordered directly from Samsung and opted for the carrier version.
I was with them for 15 years, I switched to TMobile last year and have loved every minute of it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Bummer.

That is their "theft protection" they are doing. It will eventually auto-unlock.

I always say I'm going to leave The Red Devil, but I can honestly say I've never not had coverage. They are a little more expensive but worth it to me. I ordered directly from Samsung and opted for the carrier version.

I have had Verizon for around 2 + years now -- never not had LTE yet in my travels. I am lucky that I have a big enough plan and how I do it makes them very cheap for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I wound up with another ATT phone because Best Buy couldn't let me know the night before if I would be able to purchase in store the next morning and my order on Best Buy's website said pickup the 15th so I drove to my normal ATT store where I bought most of my previous phones in which opens an hour earlier than Best Buy and they had the S10 model I wanted available for purchase and didn't want to take a chance since there was already two other people waiting at the door with me for the S10 so I took it.

ATT said on my pre paid plan that after 6 months of service that they'll unlock it for me and that it's done on their website and that I won't even have to call. Fair enough to me, I took the ATT phone to make sure I got one today and didn't have to wait until the 15th. And the person who asked, no ATT branding on the phone what so ever. Happy with the device so far and the packed in AKG ear buds are the best sounding buds I've ever used, even better than my Sennheiser Momentums (and the AKG's are the most comfortable too!) Major leap over past ear buds (remember how bad the S7's where? Yikes!)

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I wound up with another ATT phone because Best Buy couldn't let me know the night before if I would be able to purchase in store the next morning and my order on Best Buy's website said pickup the 15th so I drove to my normal ATT store where I bought most of my previous phones in which opens an hour earlier than Best Buy and they had the S10 model I wanted available for purchase and didn't want to take a chance since there was already two other people waiting at the door with me for the S10 so I took it.

ATT said on my pre paid plan that after 6 months of service that they'll unlock it for me and that it's done on their website and that I won't even have to call. Fair enough to me, I took the ATT phone to make sure I got one today and didn't have to wait until the 15th. And the person who asked, no ATT branding on the phone what so ever. Happy with the device so far and the packed in AKG ear buds are the best sounding buds I've ever used, even better than my Sennheiser Momentums (and the AKG's are the most comfortable too!) Major leap over past ear buds (remember how bad the S7's where? Yikes!)

Since you went with the AT&T version, how are the preinstalled AT&T apps? Is there a lot of them? If so, can any of them be uninstalled?

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Since you went with the AT&T version, how are the preinstalled AT&T apps? Is there a lot of them? If so, can any of them be uninstalled?

I have the AT&T S10. It has about the same amount as normal. I think they added a few newer ones but I can't remember what they were since I already nuked them all lol.

Most of them can be uninstalled and the rest can be disabled.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I have the AT&T S10. It has about the same amount as normal. I think they added a few newer ones but I can't remember what they were since I already nuked them all lol.

Most of them can be uninstalled and the rest can be disabled.

Haha! Thank you, I'll think about it.

Edit: I'll pass on that version. Not for the ads but I just learned since I'm not directly on AT&T, I wouldn't get updates ever unless I decide to move to them.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Our 1st unlocked phone was the Note 8 only because we were thinking of leaving Sprint. Than I got the 9 plus unlocked. We are still with Sprint but my 9 plus I believe ended up getting Visual Voice Mail but I use You Mail but I do have WiFi calling not sure about HD Voice. And we do get updates just not as quick as carriers. I just got my pie update on my 9o plus a couple weeks ago. But I like not having all that bloatware and the option to still leave Sprint if I want. And they consider it bring your own device and don't charge us activation fee.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
IMO, if you are staying with your carrier you should get the carrier branded phone. On AT&T, you lose a lot of features with the main one is HD Voice. When you are calling someone you don't get LTE instead you get 3G(4G in AT&T). Other features like visual voicemail and etc it is optional.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca