Waterproof?

Dmanaz

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
So just how well is this protected from water. Samsung is always thrashing apple in commercials by spilling on it, dropping in pool etc?

Can I rinse it off if a kid gets it sticky etc?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
yes s10 has IP68 rating -IP68 are deemed fit enough to withstand dust, dirt and sand, and are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So just how well is this protected from water. Samsung is always thrashing apple in commercials by spilling on it, dropping in pool etc?

Can I rinse it off if a kid gets it sticky etc?

iPhones have been water resistant recently and pretty much every flagship is.. Yes you should be fine rinsing off or accidental drops in pool etc.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I've talked to Samsung reps on Twitter about this, and they say that the water resistance feature is meant as an insurance policy, not a guarantee. If you drop it in the sink it'll be fine, but you shouldn't do this deliberately because if water does penetrate the device and trigger the liquid damage indicator near the SIM tray, it'll void your warranty. Contrast this with a device like the Galaxy Watch, which is specifically intended for underwater use (I think Samsung will even cover water damage to the Galaxy Watch under warranty). Also, the S10+ is not impervious to chlorinated water, salt water, or soapy water. Chlorine and salt will degrade the water resistant sealing over time, and soap reduces the surface tension of water and might make it capable of penetrating the phone's sealing. On the other hand the Galaxy Watch is OK for chlorine and salt, though Samsung says you should wash your watch off after a swim (basically, keep it on while you shower).

Rinsing your phone under the tap should be OK though. I do that and have never had problems.

Cloudane

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
(I think Samsung will even cover water damage to the Galaxy Watch under warranty).

They won't. I'm just arguing this with them now, as the worst I've ever done to my GW is take it out in the rain as they advertise on their own website - liquid damage, warranty void. It seems these claims of "water resistant" are not worth the paper they're written on, but I'm certainly not just accepting their answer either!

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
20190720_182312.jpg

This was taken yesterday ony s10 5g I dont recommend this. My speaker was affected.
I was able to fix it but air in a can on the speaker. I will be using a waterproof case now.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised to here that Water Damage is not covered under warranty. I learned about this with my Note 9, I had issues with it after taking it to the shower but it was days after I kept getting the error messages.

User here gave me a tip to clear the USB data.

It helped but turns out it was the Huawei USB type C cable that was the problem.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not promoting underwater use or regular submersion of your phone ... but ... I have submerged my S8+ and my S10+ MANY times, and have - very often - gotten it very wet, to the point that the little warning indicator notification shows up saying not to plug in the charging cable because the USB port detected water and needs to dry out before you plug it in again.

That said, I have had NO issues with water resistance on either phone, or my Galaxy Watch (S3 Frontier). So far, both have been "as advertised" and I am extremely satisfied with the water resistance of the devices. I regularly wipe any/all of these devices down with damp cloths, and even take my phone in the shower in the mornings sometimes if I want to take a long shower and look at my emails, calendar, etc. and plan out my work day. I'll let it get plenty wet without reservation.

Just throwing that out there for anyone looking for real world experience with dunking, submerging, washing, flooding, etc. any of these devices with water ... including my pool.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The phone is water-resistant, NOT waterproof. The 2 terms are not interchangeable, contrary to public perception.

Rain, spills, accidental drops in water with immediate removal: OK
Submerging in water (especially pool or ocean water): not OK

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised to here that Water Damage is not covered under warranty. I learned about this with my Note 9, I had issues with it after taking it to the shower but it was days after I kept getting the error messages.

User here gave me a tip to clear the USB data.

It helped but turns out it was the Huawei USB type C cable that was the problem.
How do you clear USB data.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How do you clear USB data.
Go into your app manager, then select to show system apps and scroll down to the USB app. Clear the data (not cache) and it may make the notification go away if it wasn't actually exposed to water.

For the thread in general, I wouldn't purposely take any electronic device into the water unless their warranty specifically covers water damage. IP and durability ratings can serve a purpose, but their use in consumer goods has become little more than marketing gimmicks.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just note that the phone is water resistant to freshwater, NOT salt water or chlorinated water or anything else.

So don't think you can do got a dip in the beach/pool with the phone in your pocket and expect for it to make it out ok.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Just note that the phone is water resistant to freshwater, NOT salt water or chlorinated water or anything else.

So don't think you can do got a dip in the beach/pool with the phone in your pocket and expect for it to make it out ok.

Was waiting for someone to point it out XD

Theoretically chlorinated water shouldn’t be more dangerous than freshwater to your phone, but still, it’s a risk. The IP68 rating is mainly for you to have peace of mind if your phone gets wet in the rain or because of a spilt glass of water