Thoughts on the camera

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
I don't think the camera on the S10 is bad at all. In fact, sometimes it's really really good. My problem is that I feel like I'm much more "inconsistent" with pics than usual on this phone. One thing that really seems to make a difference is the scene optimizer.

The scene optimizer has a major influence on the photos that this phone takes. IMO this is a little difficult for me because the pics seem to vary so much depending on whether it recognizes a scene or not. Whenever it is off or doesn't recognize something I feel like the camera is washed out and lacks both contrast and saturatuon. These two pics were taken with and without the optimizer - they are very different to me. However, sometimes when it's on it is a bit much as well and I feel like there is some over sharpening on the pics. Still trying to get the hang of things but it wonder what everyone's experience has been?
b30c8294dff26f0186435fc90161bf6b.jpg
a5d980ff3b64493dc8d8e5f86fd5a077.jpg

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
I find the scene optimiser better most of the time (for example it makes skies a nicer deep blue and less faded), but sometimes it makes images worse, for example:

-Anything that's red get massively over saturated. I had a photo where one dark red car was parked on the side of the road, and with scene optimiser it became bright red and stood out of the picture like a sore thumb.

-For night mode, it makes images brighter but noisier and less good quality. So when taking pictures at night, I always turn it off.

-Taking pictures of my white and grey cats, it recognises them as cats and somehow turns the grey in their fur to brown, making them look really weird and not at all like it real life!

wallstreet123456

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to set the image size on the S10? In the past we could set it to certain MP when taking the shot. I liked that because when I wanted to send something via e-mail I would set it to the smallest size so it could be sent via my e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My S8 seemed to focus a little faster when I tapped the focus icon on the camera screen. I guess it's cuz the S10's dual aperture takes a little longer.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know how to set the image size on the S10? In the past we could set it to certain MP when taking the shot. I liked that because when I wanted to send something via e-mail I would set it to the smallest size so it could be sent via my e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

I think this has to do with the ratio button up on the top of the camera. It's auto set to 3:4, if you change it to some other setting like Full, the mp should change from the default 3:4. I think.

Ken776

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Actually the 16:9 aspect ratio is a somewhat lower resolution than the 4:3 AR. That's generally true with any camera, but I often find the 16:9 AR more pleasing when displayed on a TV or phone, since it fills up the entire frame.

As I look at the details on my computer, the 16:9 AR is 4.2mb while the 4:3 is 5.5mb.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
I find the scene optimiser better most of the time (for example it makes skies a nicer deep blue and less faded), but sometimes it makes images worse, for example:

-Anything that's red get massively over saturated. I had a photo where one dark red car was parked on the side of the road, and with scene optimiser it became bright red and stood out of the picture like a sore thumb.

-For night mode, it makes images brighter but noisier and less good quality. So when taking pictures at night, I always turn it off.

-Taking pictures of my white and grey cats, it recognises them as cats and somehow turns the grey in their fur to brown, making them look really weird and not at all like it real life!
I think that's a good example of my issue. It is very hit and miss. When it works it's far better than nothing and when it doesn't it is pretty bad. I feel like they could have found a middle ground and simply made the default camera settings have a bit more contrast. I feel like scene optimizer mostly increases contrast. If I shoot in pro-mode I find myself increasing the contrast almost every time for a better photo. Then again, on pro mode I always screw up the rest and end up with something too dark and crappy. I wish the camera just had a bit more contrast without the use of the optimizer.