I'm looking to see if I just misunderstood the best buy pre-order offer but their web site said it was up to $550 specifically for a Note 8 phone on a pre-order trade for a gift card. I got the unlocked S10+ with the intrest free financing from Best Buy.

When I came in for the trade they only offered $160.

I know the offer said "up to" but it might as well say up to $1,000,000.00 if they are going to play that game.

What have others here gotten from BB?
    03-12-2019 01:10 PM
    Was it in poor condition?

The website told me I would get $550 for my Pixel 3 XL, and when I went into the store, that is exactly what they gave me. I used to whole thing as a down payment on the S10+.

It might be because you bought the Unlocked model. I got the AT&T version.
    03-12-2019 02:12 PM
    I'm looking to see if I just misunderstood the best buy pre-order offer but their web site said it was up to $550 specifically for a Note 8 phone on a pre-order trade for a gift card. I got the unlocked S10+ with the intrest free financing from Best Buy.

I know the offer said "up to" but it might as well say up to $1,000,000.00 if they are going to play that game.

It's because it's unlocked. They now require activation as well. Unless you have them activate the unlocked phone on a carrier you won't get the $550.
    03-12-2019 02:18 PM
    It is a coupon code to make up the difference between the trade in value and the promo 550. I traded in a Note 8, got 550 and bought an unlocked model no activation required. The coupon codes come up during the tail end of the trade in process and the associate chooses the one for either an activation or an unlocked sale.
    03-12-2019 03:04 PM
    If the phone has any damage, however, you would only get the damaged trade in value. A damaged device would not qualify for the 550 offer.
    03-12-2019 03:04 PM
    Also, trade in values are dependent upon your model number being in the system. Some unlocked or T-Mobile variants don't show up in Best Buy's trade in data base. If you do have an unlocked Note 8, see if the associate can pull it up by typing in Note 8 unlocked instead of using the preselected phones.
    03-12-2019 03:06 PM
    I recall the terms said unlocked phones did not require the activation0. Just going by memory. But I also verified with customer service before purchasing that unlocked phones got the trade in offer.
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    03-12-2019 03:28 PM
    It's an AT&T Note 8 that is in good conditon. She said the top conditon price was 160.

I checked back with customer service and they just pulled the "up to" claim back. Which to me is some very shady marketing.
    03-12-2019 03:32 PM
    I did the Note 8 trade in for the unlocked S10+ and got the full $550. The trade in system shows $163 and they will apply the difference $367 in form of a coupon to the order to make the trade in value $550.

Not sure if the trade in offer for S10 still going on and if it's then you just ran into a clueless rep. May ask for a manager or go to different store.

At least for pre orders the trade in value for old phones like Note8 and G7 was $550. If that offer is no longer valid at best buy, Samsung.com is still offering $550 for Note 8.
    03-12-2019 04:17 PM

I bet when he processed your claim, he didn't select the correct promotional credit. Thus the reason you only got the $160.

When we processed promotions like this, there was usually a couple options..one would be to process the trade in as a normal trade in and the other would be to process it as a promotional trade in. He has to read the offers so that he selects the correct one.

I would bet money that's where the issue is.

I remember one of my co-workers did this. The customer was pissed ..rightfully so. So the GM gave the customer the difference on a Bestbuy gift card.
    03-12-2019 04:59 PM
    Went back in today and now they said it was too late? Anyway, I think I'm going on another 10 year Best Buy ban, lol. The last one was over a defective VCR.
    03-12-2019 06:12 PM
    It's because it's unlocked. They now require activation as well. Unless you have them activate the unlocked phone on a carrier you won't get the $550.
    I told them I was trading in an unlocked S9 Plus and that I wanted to buy a S10 Plus unlocked and they didn't say anything about activating it there. They said I would get $550 Sprint doesn't charge activation fees on unlocked phones. They better not try to give me any less than $550. I asked them 3 times to go over it with me on the phone and in store.
    03-13-2019 10:03 PM
    I told them I was trading in an unlocked S9 Plus and that I wanted to buy a S10 Plus unlocked and they didn't say anything about activating it there. They said I would get $550 Sprint doesn't charge activation fees on unlocked phones. They better not try to give me any less than $550. I asked them 3 times to go over it with me on the phone and in store.
    I traded unlocked Note 8 on launch day to get unlocked S10+ and got the full $550 without any issues. I didn't have to activate anything, after the trade in paid the remaining balance and walked out with a sealed S10+. You should be good but raise hell if they create any problem
    Rose4uKY likes this.
    03-13-2019 10:12 PM
    Going by this you will need to activate. But if you pre-ordered then you will be fine. Back then it included unlocked phones as well.
    03-14-2019 04:38 AM
    Best Buy Pre-order trade in offer on Note 8?-capture.png
    Best Buy Pre-order trade in offer on Note 8?-capture.png

The offer still shows on the website and in the terms & conditions it clearly states you can trade in the Note 8. I suggest speaking to a manger.
    03-14-2019 08:55 AM
    Going by this you will need to activate. But if you pre-ordered then you will be fine. Back then it included unlocked phones as well.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2da672d28a.jpg
    Lol no you can, and we have many people including me who didn't have any issue trading in for the full $550 and get the unlocked model without issues. From the screen shot you posted, if you scroll down more you will see the full terms and conditions, read the trade in offer terms there. It clearly says applicable for unlocked model and no activation is required.

In short:
    "Unlocked phones: Activation not required."

Full text:
    "TRADE-IN OFFER:
    *Valid in store only and on trade-in of a smartphone in good working condition. Must trade in eligible device and activate a Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10 or S10+. Trade-in offer does not apply to prepaid phones. $550 total trade-in value eligible with trade-in of a Samsung Galaxy Note8 or newer and other select phones. Upon trade-in of a valid phone, customer will receive a Best Buy gift card. Unlocked phones: Activation not required. Payment is by Best Buy gift card and coupon. Only one coupon per purchase and can only be used once. Taxes/surcharges due at time of purchase. Taxes applied to price of phone prior to the trade-in credit. Not all phones are eligible for trade in and trade-in value may vary. Customer must own trade-in device. Remaining Sprint Flex lease payments will be due immediately at the time of trade-in. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. Excludes phones that are cracked or that lack power. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason. Not compatible with other trade-in offers. No rainchecks. See a Blue Shirt or BestBuy.com/TradeIn for details."
    03-14-2019 09:29 AM
    Best Buy is trash.
    03-14-2019 09:31 AM
    Lol no you can, and we have many people including me who didn't have any issue trading in for the full $550 and get the unlocked model without issues. If you scroll down more you will see the full terms and conditions, read the trade in offer terms there. It clearly says applicable for unlocked model and no activation is required.

In short:
    "Unlocked phones: Activation not required."

Full text:
    "TRADE-IN OFFER:
    *Valid in store only and on trade-in of a smartphone in good working condition. Must trade in eligible device and activate a Samsung Galaxy S10e, S10 or S10+. Trade-in offer does not apply to prepaid phones. $550 total trade-in value eligible with trade-in of a Samsung Galaxy Note8 or newer and other select phones. Upon trade-in of a valid phone, customer will receive a Best Buy gift card. Unlocked phones: Activation not required. Payment is by Best Buy gift card and coupon. Only one coupon per purchase and can only be used once. Taxes/surcharges due at time of purchase. Taxes applied to price of phone prior to the trade-in credit. Not all phones are eligible for trade in and trade-in value may vary. Customer must own trade-in device. Remaining Sprint Flex lease payments will be due immediately at the time of trade-in. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. Excludes phones that are cracked or that lack power. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason. Not compatible with other trade-in offers. No rainchecks. See a Blue Shirt or BestBuy.com/TradeIn for details."
    Thanks for clarifying! It's the extra $100 trade in that requires an activation.
    03-14-2019 09:33 AM
    Thanks for clarifying! It's the extra $100 trade in that requires an activation.
    Yes that's correct
    03-14-2019 09:35 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2da672d28a.jpg
    Yes I pre ordered in store on 2/22 waiting for phone to come in.
    03-16-2019 10:22 PM