Ultrasonic Fingerprint Sensor - How Secure Is It?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Whether optical, capacitive or ultrasonic, how secure are these device features? Are they stored locally on the device only or can they be accessed and used for identity theft? Are they uploaded to the Samsung or Google Cloud? Given the recent data breeches, I have reservations.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Way more secure than Face ID. I believe (correct me if I am wrong), but its the only method on the phone that will allow you to pay with Samsung pay and use logins as they think its secure enough for that.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Way more secure than Face ID. I believe (correct me if I am wrong), but its the only method on the phone that will allow you to pay with Samsung pay and use logins as they think its secure enough for that.

Maybe with the Time of Flight sensor in the next GS11+ or later, face unlock will rival Apple.

In the old days, while difficult and time consuming and before these technologies were available, identity theft could be resolved. Being able to hack and spoof a three dimensional print makes it that much harder to resolve.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Samsung pay also has a pin code so you don't need to use a print

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Whether optical, capacitive or ultrasonic, how secure are these device features? Are they stored locally on the device only or can they be accessed and used for identity theft? Are they uploaded to the Samsung or Google Cloud? Given the recent data breeches, I have reservations.

I believe they are only stored on the device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Face id is just as secure can use banking apps with it .

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Face id is just as secure can use banking apps with it .
Not if you can spoof it with a picture as unboxtherapy proved. It wont let you login to my banks like fingerprints work. If you are talking about the iPhone face I'd then that's different. But I didn't talk about that. We are discussing Samsung's face Id.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well do you mean Face ID as in the iPhone or Face Unlock (Samsung one)? They're two different things.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not if you can spoof it with a picture as unboxtherapy proved. It wont let you login to my banks like fingerprints work. If you are talking about the iPhone face I'd then that's different. But I didn't talk about that. We are discussing Samsung's face Id.

Oh , thought you said iPhone face id

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
It's so secure that you can't even log into your own phone with it.
Lol, but they are sending fixes. These fixes probably amount to relaxing the strictness of the match in order to get it to work. Eventually, a dry twig touching the right spot on the phone will probably unlock it.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Face ID is Apple's trademarked name for their facial recognition system.
I understand that. I didn't recall what Samsung called it so I didn't think it mattered as people usually just call both on Samsung's and apples face Id on sites.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's so secure that you can't even log into your own phone with it.

My concern, albeit overreacting and potentially unfounded, is that print scans can be hacked and spoofed by identity thieves from using it. I just want to make sure that it's not backed up to the cloud later to be hacked in a massive data breach.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The OP never questioned how secure the FPS is to gain access to the device...only how secure the data is that is being collected by the FPS systems

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My concern, albeit overreacting and potentially unfounded, is that print scans can be hacked and spoofed by identity thieves from using it. I just want to make sure that it's not backed up to the cloud later to be hacked in a massive data breach.

Normally with all these phones the biometrics stay on the phone on a separate chip that's encrypted and usually the OS itself can't even go in it. It can only ask yes or no questions and provide the data.. then the chip checks and hands back a yay or nay.