Long Term Concerns

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
So I've kind of had a rough couple of years with Samsung. After really liking my Note 5, I was entirely disappointed by the S7 (laggy, battery deterioration), S8+ (also laggy), and S9+ (overheating and battery deterioration).

For the past few days I've been using the 10+, it seems really great. One UI is definitely faster and more fluid than anything that's come before (it's honestly just as quick as my OnePlus 6T's UI), and the battery life has definitely been stellar.

But with pretty much all of the other S-line phones I've had troubles with, they've always seemed to get substantially worse at the 6-9 month mark. I didn't have many complaints about the S9+'s battery until about August, and then it just started struggling like crazy.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and have similar concerns? For anyone who's owned an S9+, did One UI improve the battery life or performance at all?

I dunno. I really like the phone. I really want to keep the phone. But I'm really questioning how many years of suffering eventual buyer's remorse I should have before I decide to call it quits permanently.

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I thought the S7 was a pretty good phone. Battery life was decent for about the first yr. I could be wrong, but I think that is simply the way things are. Batteries only last so long.

One thing I found helpful with the S7 was to completely wipe it and start from scratch. This is a lot of work, and shouldn't be needed, but I think all the app updates and software updates simply create an unseen mess. Starting from scratch seems to really speed things back up and help battery life.....at least temporarily.

S10 is great (fingerprint reader sucks for me).....but I think in a year it will be laggy and battery life will suffer.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
from my s8+ ,s9+,note9 never experience struggling or perfomance drop.
10+ with 8gb ram SD855 7nm chip 4100mah battery, I find it hard to believe it will struggle down the road

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Owned an S7 Edge, Note7, Note8, and Note9. Only one I ever had trouble with was the Note8. There were a few threads about it, but mine would randomly freeze. Most people who replaced their devices said it was a motherboard issue.

Of course, the Note7 I was forced to send back for the battery issue, but the two that I owned never gave me any problems.

I held onto the S7 Edge for a while because of the Note7 issue. Eventually battery life wasn't as good but it held up pretty well overall. Never really experienced lag on any of these devices.

CConn882

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
from my s8+ ,s9+,note9 never experience struggling or perfomance drop.
10+ with 8gb ram SD855 7nm chip 4100mah battery, I find it hard to believe it will struggle down the road
I've had heard others say this too, but frankly I've never been able to understand it.

For instance, I bought a Moto G5s for my daughter, and it would literally load most general apps faster than my S8+ would. That doesn't seem like something that would be person preference or something like that. I dunno.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had heard others say this too, but frankly I've never been able to understand it.

For instance, I bought a Moto G5s for my daughter, and it would literally load most general apps faster than my S8+ would. That doesn't seem like something that would be person preference or something like that. I dunno.

Dont forget Moto g5 is running close to bare bones stock Andriod but I dont have a Moto to compare to my s8+ .
Only devices I own is Samsung,Apple,1+6 and Google

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Lemme tell you something. Forget all prior galaxy s experiences. From the s9+ to note 9 and onward, there will be no lag and very little performance drop.

These phones are now past that stage. The s10 will not lag for the next 2 years. Period. From this point lag won't be a question.

The question will be battery life, fps (some way to unlock) , and camera. These 3 is what will improve but lag? No longer a worry.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries will slowly lose charging capacity if charged repeatedly to 100%. This is an issue for many as we've gotten used to plugging our phone in at night so that it's at 100% when we start the day. If you keep your phone between 20% and 85% you will preserve the battery's longer term storage capacity.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
So I've kind of had a rough couple of years with Samsung. After really liking my Note 5, I was entirely disappointed by the S7 (laggy, battery deterioration), S8+ (also laggy), and S9+ (overheating and battery deterioration).

For the past few days I've been using the 10+, it seems really great. One UI is definitely faster and more fluid than anything that's come before (it's honestly just as quick as my OnePlus 6T's UI), and the battery life has definitely been stellar.

But with pretty much all of the other S-line phones I've had troubles with, they've always seemed to get substantially worse at the 6-9 month mark. I didn't have many complaints about the S9+'s battery until about August, and then it just started struggling like crazy.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and have similar concerns? For anyone who's owned an S9+, did One UI improve the battery life or performance at all?

I dunno. I really like the phone. I really want to keep the phone. But I'm really questioning how many years of suffering eventual buyer's remorse I should have before I decide to call it quits permanently.

wow. Sounds like you've had some bad luck. My S9+ was gorgeous from day one, and never got bad. Battery was great. Your overheating comment, combined with bad battery life, makes me think you had some rogue processes going on that just ran the processor full tilt.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries will slowly lose charging capacity if charged repeatedly to 100%. This is an issue for many as we've gotten used to plugging our phone in at night so that it's at 100% when we start the day. If you keep your phone between 20% and 85% you will preserve the battery's longer term storage capacity.

This man speaks the truth and is science backed!! Read up on it and you will understand why and how to make your battery last longer. If you don't, that's fine too but expect your battery to die quicker and spend money on a new device.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
wow. Sounds like you've had some bad luck. My S9+ was gorgeous from day one, and never got bad. Battery was great. Your overheating comment, combined with bad battery life, makes me think you had some rogue processes going on that just ran the processor full tilt.

Heat is also a battery killer!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
For the S series, I started with the S7 Edge. That phone was ok early on buy as time went on, the lag set in and got worse. Today I can't even use that phone because the lag is the worst I have ever seen on any phone or device.

The next year I bought the factory unlocked S8+. It worked great but I sold it after about 7 months and in that time, there was no lag at all.

Next I bought the factory unlocked S9+ and it too had no lag. I had to say this was my most favorite Samsung S series phone to date, even over my Note 9 that I still have and use today. I sold it on Friday after owning it for 8 months.

Now I cough the AT&T S10+ ceramic white edition with 12GB RAM. it's performance is just solid and where I may have noticed some stuttering when scrolling through picture heavy apps such as Instagram on phones such as my XS Max, this phone just keeps on scrolling smoothly, even after scrolling through a page with several thousand pictures on it. This is the biggest reason I wanted the phone with the 12GB RAM. I'll likely never fill the 1TB storage but again, it's the RAM I wanted.

The second best phone that I still own and use is my Note 8. That phone after 1.5 years is still just as solid in battery performance and everything I use the phone for as it was on day one. No lag ever. It's a beast that phone and I prefer it over my Note 9. I can't say enough good things about that phone to this day. To me, it's the best Note that Samsung has ever made. I repeatedly charge this phone when it gets down to 5% and up to 100% each and every time and have superb battery performance as I said above. I refuse to believe the 100% battery charge will harm the phone. I have never seen that occur on any phone, ever and I do this to every phone.

I feel that Samsung has solved the lag problem starting with the S8+.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For the S series, I started with the S7 Edge. That phone was ok early on buy as time went on, the lag set in and got worse. Today I can't even use that phone because the lag is the worst I have ever seen on any phone or device.

The next year I bought the factory unlocked S8+. It worked great but I sold it after about 7 months and in that time, there was no lag at all.

Next I bought the factory unlocked S9+ and it too had no lag. I had to say this was my most favorite Samsung S series phone to date, even over my Note 9 that I still have and use today. I sold it on Friday after owning it for 8 months.

Now I cough the AT&T S10+ ceramic white edition with 12GB RAM. it's performance is just solid and where I may have noticed some stuttering when scrolling through picture heavy apps such as Instagram on phones such as my XS Max, this phone just keeps on scrolling smoothly, even after scrolling through a page with several thousand pictures on it. This is the biggest reason I wanted the phone with the 12GB RAM. I'll likely never fill the 1TB storage but again, it's the RAM I wanted.

The second best phone that I still own and use is my Note 8. That phone after 1.5 years is still just as solid in battery performance and everything I use the phone for as it was on day one. No lag ever. It's a beast that phone and I prefer it over my Note 9. I can't say enough good things about that phone to this day. To me, it's the best Note that Samsung has ever made. I repeatedly charge this phone when it gets down to 5% and up to 100% each and every time and have superb battery performance as I said above. I refuse to believe the 100% battery charge will harm the phone. I have never seen that occur on any phone, ever and I do this to every phone.

I feel that Samsung has solved the lag problem starting with the S8+.

I agree, I also charge my battery from 5 percent to 100 and never had any issues on any of my phone's . My iPhone x is still at 92 percent capacity.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I also charge my battery from 5 percent to 100 and never had any issues on any of my phone's . My iPhone x is still at 92 percent capacity.

I bought my iPhone XS Max on October 29th. The battery capacity right now still shows 100% and I charge when it gets to 5% all the way up to 100% each and every time. If anything, I've seen nothing but proof this is nothing but good for the battery.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I bought my iPhone XS Max on October 29th. The battery capacity right now still shows 100% and I charge when it gets to 5% all the way up to 100% each and every time. If anything, I've seen nothing but proof this is nothing but good for the battery.

Yeah I agree ,So far it's proof for me also or I would have changed my charging habits.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Well then, you would be wrong.

Here's a guick link to help you get up to speed on the subject.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"Cycling between 85 and 25 percent (green) provides a longer service life than charging to 100 percent and discharging to 50 percent (dark blue). The smallest capacity loss is attained by charging Li-ion to 75 percent and discharging to 65 percent."

Here's another:

https://www.popsci.com/charge-batteries-right#page-4

"Shallow discharges and recharges are better than full ones, because they put less stress on the battery, so it lasts longer. When your battery is discharging, Battery University recommends that you only let it reach 50 percent before topping it up again. While you're charging it back up, you should also avoid pushing a lithium-ion battery all the way to 100 percent."

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well then, you would be wrong.

Here's a guick link to help you get up to speed on the subject.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"Cycling between 85 and 25 percent (green) provides a longer service life than charging to 100 percent and discharging to 50 percent (dark blue). The smallest capacity loss is attained by charging Li-ion to 75 percent and discharging to 65 percent. This, however, does not fully utilize the battery."

My real world experience proves otherwise. Those words on that page are just that, words on a page. What counts is actual usage and my usage says charging from 5% to 100% has never harmed any of the batteries in any of my phones.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I know, kind of like "fake news" I guess. Of course there's the fact that you really wouldn't know what, if any, damage was being done until 2-3 years after initial usage. But feel free to believe whatever you want.

I'm sure these experts must all be wrong.
My real world experience proves otherwise. Those words on that page are just that, words on a page. What counts is actual usage and my usage says charging from 5% to 100% has never harmed any of the batteries in any of my phones.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I know, kind of like "fake news" I guess. Of course there's the fact that you really wouldn't know what, if any, damage was being done until 2-3 years after initial usage. But feel free to believe whatever you want.

I'm sure these experts must all be wrong.

The oldest phone I have to this day with it's original battery is my Note 4 and Note edge. Both of those phones still have the original batteries in them and to this day, they run a full day on one charge just as they did when new. That phone was out in 2014. I charged both of those phones from 5% to 100% and again, they still run just as they did when new. That's my evidence that it doesn't harm the batteries. I still power them on occasionally to keep the batteries in shape.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908