03-25-2019 09:13 AM
144 123 ...
tools
    All these shots I was trying to focus on my dog, which was really pretty still in all these shots, and in every one she seems out of focus and blurry. This is that same issue I had with the Note 9 which eventually lead me to returning it ...
    Is this camera just THAT bad or are Pixel cameras just THAT good? Having had the Pixel 2 XL and then the Pixel 3, have I simply been spoiled?
    03-17-2019 05:24 PM
    Here are my camera settings. These shots were with auto tracking auto focus both on and off... That setting didn't seem to affect the end result.
    03-17-2019 05:31 PM
    It’s not just you. It’s the camera. Pixel 3 camera IS that much better.
    03-17-2019 07:34 PM
    It’s not just you. It’s the camera. Pixel 3 camera IS that much better.
    There's something about Samsung cameras or processing that destroys sharpness of animal fur. Can't believe they have not addressed it yet.
    03-17-2019 07:48 PM
    I think the camera is fine myself, but then again I don't buy a phone for a camera. Point and shoot is all I need
    20blks, nuangel2, hasasimo and 2 others like this.
    03-17-2019 07:49 PM
    Here are my camera settings. These shots were with auto tracking auto focus both on and off... That setting didn't seem to affect the end result.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e592f33d73.jpg
    Try with screen optimized off
    YankInDaSouth likes this.
    03-17-2019 07:54 PM
    I really enjoyed a day in the park with my two kids and the S10 camera. Loved using all three cameras, live focus was great, and video was top notch. But once I head indoors in lower light, I really miss the Pixel 3. The S10 gives much softer images indoors.
    03-17-2019 07:55 PM
    Is it just me or in some of the photos you're focused more on the background rather than the dog?

Granted this is an older pic from Oreo days on S9, but the focus here on the snout is better and have less of the fur issues others say about Samsung.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwoa2x1gyy...52919.jpg?dl=0

Pixel however does indeed have better AI and is thus better for point and shoot situations.

Samsung is more finicky and produces softer images on Auto and you need a steadier hand compared to when you're using a Pixel. You're better off with custom Pro settings or Sport mode when taking pictures of animals.

Here's a crop of the above pic and its sharper than the posted one of your dog when zoomed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2ds5bu8bc...91209.jpg?dl=0

Maybe you could post links of uncompressed images?
    03-17-2019 08:02 PM
    Is it just me or in some of the photos you're focused more on the background rather than the dog?

Granted this is an older pic from Oreo days on S9, but the focus here on the snout is better and have less of the fur issues others say about Samsung.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwoa2x1gyy...52919.jpg?dl=0

Pixel however does indeed have better AI and is thus better for point and shoot situations.

Samsung is more finicky and produces softer images on Auto and you need a steadier hand compared to when you're using a Pixel. You're better off with custom Pro settings or Sport mode when taking pictures of animals.
    Not you OR me LOL it's the camera! I touched to focus on my dogs head/face in every one of those pictures. Camera instead opts to focus on background ... Even with tracking auto focus on, the yellow box was around my dogs head, but the background is always more clear in the pics. It's odd
    03-17-2019 08:16 PM
    Point and shoot is all I need
    As do I... Problem is I cannot point and shoot with this phone as it never seems to focus on the subject I want ... even outdoors sometimes
    03-17-2019 08:17 PM
    Not you OR me LOL it's the camera! I touched to focus on my dogs head/face in every one of those pictures. Camera instead opts to focus on background ... Even with tracking auto focus on, the yellow box was around my dogs head, but the background is always more clear in the pics. It's odd
    Did you try turning off Flaw Detection and Scene Optimizer?
    03-17-2019 08:18 PM
    Did you try turning off Flaw Detection and Scene Optimizer?
    I shall try that and test tomorrow
    03-17-2019 08:20 PM
    Seems like a lot of work that shouldn’t have to be done. Return and get the Pixel 3.
    03-17-2019 08:20 PM
    Turn scene optimizer off and make sure beauty mode is off. When you tap on the Filters icon on the top right you'll see two sections below for Filters and Beauty. Tap on Beauty and make sure it's off.
    03-17-2019 08:21 PM
    Seems like a lot of work that shouldn’t have to be done. Return and get the Pixel 3.
    Already have a Pixel 3 Thing I'm debating is whether or not I want to turn it in to Sammy for $550 towards the S10+
    maverick96 likes this.
    03-17-2019 08:23 PM
    Turn scene optimizer off and make sure beauty mode is off. When you tap on the Filters icon on the top right you'll see two sections below for Filters and Beauty. Tap on Beauty and make sure it's off.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I checked and it was off.
    03-17-2019 08:25 PM
    I took this photo of one of my dogs this morning before you made this thread. Looks good to me, but it's possible I'm losing my eyesight lol.
    Attached Thumbnails What am I doing wrong? Or is this camera just THAT bad?-4272.jpg  
    03-17-2019 08:25 PM
    I took this photo of one of my dogs this morning before you made this thread. Looks good to me, but it's possible I'm losing my eyesight lol.
    Not only is that a cute dog, but it is a nice shot
    WizeGuyDezignz and Eggmundo like this.
    03-17-2019 08:27 PM
    What ratio you all using?
    03-17-2019 08:27 PM
    Not only is that a cute dog, but it is a nice shot
    Thanks! Chocolate miniature pinscher. ♥

I used default settings and just shot it on auto. I really hope you get this issue straightened out as this is a great phone!

Good luck!
    03-17-2019 08:30 PM
    Also, not to deminish the quality, but it's shot against a solid background right by the dog. Issue I am seeing is when there's depth of some kind behind the subject.I am no photographer, not sure of the lingo LOL

All I know is that most every other phone, I tap on the area of screen where the subject I want to focus on is and hit the shutter button and that's it. With this phone (as well as my short stint with the Note 9) I do that it does not seem to focus on the subject.
    WizeGuyDezignz likes this.
    03-17-2019 08:34 PM
    Thanks! Chocolate miniature pinscher.

I used default settings and just shot it on auto. I really hope you get this issue straightened out as this is a great phone!

Good luck!
    Min pins are too cute!

And thanks! Really am enjoying the phone otherwise. But not being able to have a reliable shooter is a no go. Have to be able to take a quick shot of my kids and dogs and be satisfied with the results!
    03-17-2019 08:36 PM
    As do I... Problem is I cannot point and shoot with this phone as it never seems to focus on the subject I want ... even outdoors sometimes
    I honestly haven't played with the S10 camera much. I was hoping it is better then the note 9, that camera was slow IMO.
    03-17-2019 08:52 PM
    Min pins are too cute!

And thanks! Really am enjoying the phone otherwise. But not being able to have a reliable shooter is a no go. Have to be able to take a quick shot of my kids and dogs and be satisfied with the results!
    Don't you have a Pixel? I do and I use it for the camera, the s10 for everything else...though I have had some major issues with the Pixel 3 camera as well. Pictures disappearing and a laggy shutter. No phone is perfect.
    03-17-2019 10:19 PM
    I do have the Pixel 3, but was going to trade it in for the $550 towards my S10+. Don't need, or like, having 2 devices and switching back and forth.
    03-18-2019 04:05 AM
144 123 ...