Ceramic Owners... Are you happy?

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
I've got the base model S10+ in Prism White. The wife wants one, so I'm thinking about going up to the 1TB / 12GB ceramic and giving her mine. Is everyone happy with it? Would you have made a different decision if you could do it again? Anything you really like / dislike about the ceramic build now that you've had some time with it?

Liquid_Chaos87

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I love mine. Got the Ceramic black. It is not a true black, but has more a brownish hue to it, but it looks really nice. Also better knowing it is more resistant to scratches. Feels like a well built phone in your hands.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've got the base model S10+ in Prism White. The wife wants one, so I'm thinking about going up to the 1TB / 12GB ceramic and giving her mine. Is everyone happy with it? Would you have made a different decision if you could do it again? Anything you really like / dislike about the ceramic build now that you've had some time with it?

I love the ceramic but I have no need for 1TB of storage. I imagine most people that go that route will never fill it up. I also don't see an advantage to 12GB of memory. I went with 512 because I got it for the same price as the 128. I have no regrets and will probably never fill it past half way but I can always add an SD card.
It's your money and if you think you'll get your money's worth with the 1TB don't last my thoughts stop you.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the ceramic black and am happy. I had the normal S10 too (which I returned) and IMO the ceramic just feels more substantial in the hand, heavier but in a good way.

It is just opinion but the glass S10 is very well built but I found the lack of weigh a little disconcerting, others will prefer a lighter phone so YMMV.

P.S You do not have to get the 1TB version to get ceramic the 512gb version also has the option.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Congrats to all who own one. I considered it but decided that cost/value benefit wasn't the best for my situation, not to mention the resale value.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I feel I have made the right decision in buying my ceramic white 1TB S10+. I wanted the 12GB RAM more then anything and so far in the two full days that I've used my phone, I've seen the benefits of the extra RAM, especially in scrolling through long search pages of images in instagram. It's just so smooth and this phone has just been that way through everything I've done on it.

I wish my iPhone XS Max was this smooth in doing the same things I mentioned above, it's not.

IMG_0934.jpg

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I feel I have made the right decision in buying my ceramic white 1TB S10+. I wanted the 12GB RAM more then anything and so far in the two full days that I've used my phone, I've seen the benefits of the extra RAM, especially in scrolling through long search pages of images in instagram. It's just so smooth and this phone has just been that way through everything I've done on it.

I wish my iPhone XS Max was this smooth in doing the same things I mentioned above, it's not.

View attachment 300391
The s10+ is just a very smooth phone. 12GB RAM? Even more so I'd imagine.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
I have the ceramic black and am happy. I had the normal S10 too (which I returned) and IMO the ceramic just feels more substantial in the hand, heavier but in a good way.

It is just opinion but the glass S10 is very well built but I found the lack of weigh a little disconcerting, others will prefer a lighter phone so YMMV.

P.S You do not have to get the 1TB version to get ceramic the 512gb version also has the option.
Interesting. I guess I only viewed the added weight as a negative. Never thought to look at it as a positive. I just picked up my wife's current iPhone XS Max and at 208 grams (a little more than the ceramic S10) it feels different for sure. I'm assuming it has a more premium feel than the glass version.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I normally like to go for the best but 12GB of RAM? Monstrous. I like it...but 8GB will do for me...for now. I'd love to see how the OS uses 12GB.

Your 8GB is already way more than adequate.

The extra RAM will only hold more apps in memory without having to reload them. 12GB will not run smoother or faster. Quantity of RAM does does not increase speed at all unless we use faster RAM. The only time RAM impacts speed is if we go well below what is needed to operate in which case we have a bottleneck. The real answer to speed is faster processing.
The downside to too much RAM is that it is always on whether it is being utilized, so effectively it will drain your battery faster.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

The extra RAM will only hold more apps in memory without having to reload them. 12GB will not run smoother or faster. Quantity of RAM does does not increase speed at all unless we use faster RAM. The only time RAM impacts speed is if we go well below what is needed to operate in which case we have a bottleneck. The real answer to speed is faster processing.
The downside to too much RAM is that it is always on whether it is being utilized, so effectively it will drain your battery faster.
I've read that before, so the extra RAM may be useful when there's a bigger OS that needs it or if you just tend to load a huge plethora of apps. Now, they should have made the battery another 100-200mah bigger on the 12GB model just to put a cherry on top but I imagine perhaps not too too many 1TB models are moving for it to make business sense.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've read that before, so the extra RAM may be useful when there's a bigger OS that needs it or if you just tend to load a huge plethora of apps. Now, they should have made the battery another 100-200mah bigger on the 12GB model just to put a cherry on top but I imagine perhaps not too too many 1TB models are moving for it to make business sense.

Most would not notice the additional drain unless they somehow measured it.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site

Yea, I think the 12GB ram is more fun to have than it is actually practical. One thing for sure is you don't have to worry about optimization of your memory or killing apps all the time. I was getting the 1TB because I do a lot of 4K video.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea, I think the 12GB ram is more fun to have than it is actually practical. One thing for sure is you don't have to worry about optimization of your memory or killing apps all the time. I was getting the 1TB because I do a lot of 4K video.

Without a doubt the primary reason to get that model is the 1TB storage. I only store hi-res audio files so 512 will hold me and I can always add my SD card.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I agree..

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Amen. No phone needs 12GB of RAM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2