Android Central Article on In-screen finger print sensors

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If they can be made to work via software or otherwise I'll take it, but otherwise give me the one on the back of the phone back that worked first time all the time.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Can't help but agree with the article. It's a solution without a problem. It's slower than what came before. Its... unnecessary. At least it's functional now but certainly not a better experience to me than the s9+/Note 9 fps.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
There are advantages and disadvantages to the various approaches used for security. But in-screen FPS's have enormous potential for growth. In particular, a large portion of the screen could be active as an FPS. It would be a mistake to abandon this tech.

To be clear, I've had some major problems with the FPS in the S10+. It is working reasonably well for me right now, but I know this may be temporary. Still, to argue that we shouldn't pursue this anymore seems silly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can't help but agree with the article. It's a solution without a problem. It's slower than what came before. Its... unnecessary. At least it's functional now but certainly not a better experience to me than the s9+/Note 9 fps.

Some valid points.

The only "problem" it solves if we can call it a problem is for those that wanted a Front Sensor without bezel. I never had an issue with rear sensors but I always hear complaints from those that want to open their phone without picking up their phone.
Realistically all you need is a pattern or pin unlock or secure face recognition to accomplish that task.

I guess consumers do like the cool factor and gimmicks do sell phones regardless of value added. I didn't buy it for the FPS so I have no regrets and it works good enough for me so it's a keeper.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
At the current state that aren't better than the awesome capacitive fingerprint sensors we had, obviously it's first gen and they will get better.

I don't think they should go away but they should work on improving them which obviously they will.

It's just unfortunate we are at that crossroads again where it'll take a couple of generations before they are on par in terms of speed, accuracy and ease of use.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There are advantages and disadvantages to the various approaches used for security. But in-screen FPS's have enormous potential for growth. In particular, a large portion of the screen could be active as an FPS. It would be a mistake to abandon this tech.

To be clear, I've had some major problems with the FPS in the S10+. It is working reasonably well for me right now, but I know this may be temporary. Still, to argue that we shouldn't pursue this anymore seems silly.

Agreed....I'll add that having a major player like Samsung take the plunge can only encourage the competition to join in and improve the tech.

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I never wanted an in screen, ultrasonic FPS. Yes, the tech is great, but the likelihood of some kind of software/hardware/user malfunction is greater too. In my opinion, at the current stage of development, it's a step down from what I had.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
At the current state that aren't better than the awesome capacitive fingerprint sensors we had, obviously it's first gen and they will get better.

I don't think they should go away but they should work on improving them which obviously they will.

It's just unfortunate we are at that crossroads again where it'll take a couple of generations before they are on par in terms of speed, accuracy and ease of use.

The biggest drawback for me is not its speed or accuracy. It might come under easy of use because it's virtually impossible to open it without looking it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The biggest drawback for me is not its speed or accuracy. It might come under easy of use because it's virtually impossible to open it without looking it.
Yes overall combination is what I meant. Just using the fingerprint sensor without thinking too much. At the current state it's not at that point.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes overall combination is what I meant. Just using the fingerprint sensor without thinking too much. At the current state it's not at that point.

Short of making a large sensor that takes input from a larger area I don't see it happening

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Some valid points.

The only "problem" it solves if we can call it a problem is for those that wanted a Front Sensor without bezel. I never had an issue with rear sensors but I always hear complaints from those that want to open their phone without picking up their phone.
Realistically all you need is a pattern or pin unlock or secure face recognition to accomplish that task.

I guess consumers do like the cool factor and gimmicks do sell phones regardless of value added. I didn't buy it for the FPS so I have no regrets and it works good enough for me so it's a keeper.

I would like the "it works" factor if it actually did for me.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Some valid points.

I have always had better experiences with rear sensors. Front has usually made it difficult to use my phone with one hand without discomfort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888