03-19-2019 08:02 AM
    Wow. I've been fortunate to not have to pay for a screen replacement. Definitely don't want to start now. I wouldn't do it even if I had the cash.

If I were prone to breaking screens I would be buying less expense or used phones more often. I already question my sanity anytime I buy a phone over $500-600.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-19-2019 08:33 AM
    Good grief, that's just ridiculous. I've replaced screens/digitizers on iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5SE, 6, 6 Plus. 4 and 4S were a total pain in the backside. The 6 and six plus are the easiest screens to replace ever. I can do it in like 10 to 15 minutes. Granted, they were not waterproof so there was no glue to mess with but I would imagine that the 7 and 8 would be very similar but you'd have glue to contend with. I haven't looked into it but I'm sure the iPhone X models are a nightmare. I've never replaced a screen on any Samsung phone because they were expensive and the process seemed like too much of a pain.

Anyway, Samsung makes sick phones and they just simply are not easy to repair. They are not really meant to be taken apart. You're carrying a $1k toy in your pocket. Get insurance and treat it like it costs that much or buy a cheap phone. With that said, it does seem kind of stupid that it costs the same to buy a new phone.
    cwbcpa and mustang7757 like this.
    03-19-2019 08:34 AM
    Even more reason for insurance, a good case, and some type of way screen protector.
    03-19-2019 08:54 AM
    you guys think insurance would cover a screen repair that cost as much as the phone? I dont use insurance on my phones for about 3 or 4 years now
    03-19-2019 09:52 AM
    And I still rock mine naked !
    03-19-2019 10:11 AM
    you guys think insurance would cover a screen repair that cost as much as the phone? I dont use insurance on my phones for about 3 or 4 years now
    If you have insurance it should cover it. Keep in mind some companies will not repair it. They will replace with a refurb.
    03-19-2019 10:15 AM
    If you have insurance it should cover it. Keep in mind some companies will not repair it. They will replace with a refurb.
    Cool..wonder what the deductible cost
    03-19-2019 10:23 AM
    Yes, T-Mobile is $10/month and has $150 deductable. Square trade is $9/month and I think $149 deduct. If you break a screen every 3-4 years still cheaper than breaking with out insurance.
    03-19-2019 10:37 AM
    Cool..wonder what the deductible cost
    Probably 150 to 200. I have never broken a screen except deliberately.
    03-19-2019 10:43 AM
    cool, good to know guys.
    03-19-2019 10:45 AM
    Sprint's was $11 and it went up to $13 but I was told the screen price was cheaper now. I think I remember them saying $129 but I am not a 100% sure it was a while back when I spoke to someone about the increase in insurance. But I think because we have unlocked it may be different too I guess I need to find out. But I feel safer having the insurance even if we never have used it. Well I did once back in the day I lost my pink Katana flip phone and had to pay $50 deductible for another one. LOL!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-19-2019 10:56 AM
    Those prices are not translating to all regions, so in US I'm assuming it's going to be $450 or $500 keeping on the high end. Even if it's $999 still insurance is not worth to me lol. All the premiums I haven't paid over all these years pays itself for the screen repairs or a few new phones if *** in case *** I break it. And luckily I can afford that big payment if I have to make so I'm still good with no insurance. Obviously I'm not saying mine is the right way, it's just it works for me this way.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-19-2019 11:00 AM
    Those prices are not translating to all regions, so in US I'm assuming it's going to be $450 or $500 keeping on the high end. Even if it's $999 still insurance is not worth to me lol. All the premiums I haven't paid over all these years pays itself for the screen repairs or a few new phones if *** in case *** I break it. And luckily I can afford that big payment if I have to make so I'm still good with no insurance. Obviously I'm not saying mine is the right way, it's just it works for me this way.
    I agree I'm same way
    bhatech likes this.
    03-19-2019 11:09 AM
    I get it. I think about same as well. My luck I would cancel the insurance and then a month after buying phone it gets stolen, etc and then have to pay for it 2 more years and pay for a new one as well. I have never broken a screen but I have cracked a whitestone from a drop. Now my son, he breaks an iphone screen at least 1 time a year and breaks numerous protectors....careless.
    03-19-2019 11:14 AM
    Yes, I broke my screen twice in two months, the only times I have ever broken a screen, and Samsung premium care overnited me a new phone. I did hit the max for the year, but $150 each was far cheaper than a new phone. Phone insurance is the only care insurance I have ever bought, and will buy, because it is worth it.
    5 S7s, 4 Note 8's. All covered with premium care. Only the two were my fault and the rest were factory defects. With defects they overnight you a new phone, no premium care and you have to mail it back and wait multiple weeks for them to fix it, and you don't get a replacement device unless you already have one.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-20-2019 06:24 PM
    Yes, I broke my screen twice in two months, the only times I have ever broken a screen, and Samsung premium care overnited me a new phone. I did hit the max for the year, but $150 each was far cheaper than a new phone. Phone insurance is the only care insurance I have ever bought, and will buy, because it is worth it.
    5 S7s, 4 Note 8's. All covered with premium care. Only the two were my fault and the rest were factory defects. With defects they overnight you a new phone, no premium care and you have to mail it back and wait multiple weeks for them to fix it, and you don't get a replacement device unless you already have one.
    That is not bad , sorry that happened to you .
    03-20-2019 06:57 PM
    Holy hell that's expensive. So repairing the screen is more expensive than repairing the phone? My goodness that sucks.

PSA, I've got an Uber Visa card and it has $600 in mobile phone insurance with the only caveat being that you pay your carrier's monthly bill with the card (no annual fees or anything). It's only a $25 deductible so I guess I would be paying "only" $485.

Yeah, I am never taking this phone outside of my home without a case on it. Not after seeing those repair costs!
    03-20-2019 07:20 PM
    Holy hell that's expensive. So repairing the screen is more expensive than repairing the phone? My goodness that sucks.

PSA, I've got an Uber Visa card and it has $600 in mobile phone insurance with the only caveat being that you pay your carrier's monthly bill with the card (no annual fees or anything). It's only a $25 deductible so I guess I would be paying "only" $485.

Yeah, I am never taking this phone outside of my home without a case on it. Not after seeing those repair costs!
    They ought to make drop sensing air bags for devices.
    03-20-2019 07:30 PM
    I bet that'll be available on the Galaxy Fold 2 next year.
    03-20-2019 07:42 PM
    Parachute from higher falls 😜
    03-20-2019 07:44 PM

Case and going get dome screen protector
    arunma likes this.
    03-20-2019 07:45 PM
    I believe that article is taking a stab at the screen costs. I just checked 2 vendors I order replacement screens from, and neither even has the S10's listed.
    03-20-2019 08:42 PM
    Case and going get dome screen protector
    Can't blame you. I use a Spigen case. I've stuck to the pre-installed screen protector because it doesn't collect dust, and I'm told by YouTube reviewers that apparently even the Whitestone Dome has the tendancy to collect dust around the edges. Once you install your dome, maybe you can tell us if that's true?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-20-2019 08:45 PM
    Can't blame you. I use a Spigen case. I've stuck to the pre-installed screen protector because it doesn't collect dust, and I'm told by YouTube reviewers that apparently even the Whitestone Dome has the tendancy to collect dust around the edges. Once you install your dome, maybe you can tell us if that's true?
    It definitely does collect dust but I wipe my screens down whenever build up happens . I have Dome on my Note 9 and S9+ . I'll probably order this weekend and keep you posted what I think about it.
    03-20-2019 08:50 PM