anyone rocking their phone without a case?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I always rock my phones naked, generally sell them before they get any real damage and usually have insurance for price of mind. I am generally a Pixel/Nexus phone user for Android and an iPhone user and never have issues.

However, I've had the Galaxy S6, S8+ and now the 10+, for some reason, all of them seem to scratch very easily. The display usually gets surface scratches and the glass body the same. I've had the S10+ since launch and I already have a chunk taken out of the metal frame and some scuffs on the display. I've had the iPhone X and XS, every pixel version and none of them have any of this after months of use, what's up with Samsung! I work from home, my phones are always babied but for some reason, I always end up with a scuffed Samsung phone.

How did you get a chunk taken out of the frame?

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I was carrying it around naked but ended up letting a friend look at it and they placed it on the table a little harder then I wanted.. so now I use a case because other people don't give a crap about other people's stuff.. thank God no damage was done..

the case is to protect it from others lol, not myself..

Yep. That's why I'm very particular about others handling my phone. If they damage it, they're not going to want to pay for the damage. My phones don't have scratches and dents..and nicks.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
No case, only have a gel one around for hazardous situations. I am lucky to work in an office so day to day I do not really need one.

I've said elsewhere on here that cases push a lot of plus sized phones the wrong size of bulky for me so if I had to use one I'd choose a different phone. I probably would not go flagship either if I had to cover it up, a part of the flagship experience is the aesthetics for me.

I recognise the risk and have had one of 2 battle scars over the years and will no doubt have more but I am careful and I usually have insurance too.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I always rock my phones naked, generally sell them before they get any real damage and usually have insurance for price of mind. I am generally a Pixel/Nexus phone user for Android and an iPhone user and never have issues.

However, I've had the Galaxy S6, S8+ and now the 10+, for some reason, all of them seem to scratch very easily. The display usually gets surface scratches and the glass body the same. I've had the S10+ since launch and I already have a chunk taken out of the metal frame and some scuffs on the display. I've had the iPhone X and XS, every pixel version and none of them have any of this after months of use, what's up with Samsung! I work from home, my phones are always babied but for some reason, I always end up with a scuffed Samsung phone.

My iPhone Xs max had a scratch on the back after 2 days and I was practically handling the thing with velvet gloves, sometimes it just happens. My Xs max has another small scratch, hard to see but I have no idea where it came from either. My S9+, and Note 9 and even Pixel 3 XL were all sold on immaculate and pretty much as new so it does vary from device to device.

anon(5990673)

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
It's survived drop tests from 6 feet... The rest of the phone didn't do so well

yup, I watched that review !

I've decided to try it without the case.

For some reason S9+ black version was a smudge magnet, this ceramic black version is doing much better !

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yep. That's why I'm very particular about others handling my phone. If they damage it, they're not going to want to pay for the damage. My phones don't have scratches and dents..and nicks.
This. Just. This. I absolutely canna stand any kind of blemishes on my devices. Dust is about as much as I can tolerate. It's a sickness, I imagine, but it is what it is.

When I see someone using g their phone with scratches, nick's, or heaven forbid, with the screen cracked I feel both terrified and envious at the same time. ...envious that they're at such peace that such horrid damage doesn't bother them...and terrified that my phones could be such afflicted. Like I said, it's a sickness.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
This. Just. This. I absolutely canna stand any kind of blemishes on my devices. Dust is about as much as I can tolerate. It's a sickness, I imagine, but it is what it is.

When I see someone using g their phone with scratches, Nick's, or heaven forbid, with the screen cracked I feel both terrified and envious at the same time. ...envious that they're at such peace that such horrid damage doesn't bother them...and terrified that my phones could be such afflicted. Like I said, it's a sickness.

I can relate. I have no idea how people can just casually use a phone with a cracked screen.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
No case, only have a gel one around for hazardous situations. I am lucky to work in an office so day to day I do not really need one.

I've said elsewhere on here that cases push a lot of plus sized phones the wrong size of bulky for me so if I had to use one I'd choose a different phone. I probably would not go flagship either if I had to cover it up, a part of the flagship experience is the aesthetics for me.

I recognise the risk and have had one of 2 battle scars over the years and will no doubt have more but I am careful and I usually have insurance too.

Or I would say that you're unlucky to work in an office. 😋

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I have to remember this the next time someone wants to see my phone.

I use the screen protector provided by Samsung along with a clear Skinomi skin on the back. That's it. When I go out I just put it in a sleeve. Really like my phone without a case.

I would rock a lanyard if I were you. Just in case someone bumps your precious phone right out of your buttery hands. Accidents happen people!

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site

When I see someone using g their phone with scratches, nick's, or heaven forbid, with the screen cracked I feel both terrified and envious at the same time. ...envious that they're at such peace that such horrid damage doesn't bother them...and terrified that my phones could be such afflicted. Like I said, it's a sickness.

Even after a minor dink my phone is dead to me!

#helpneeded

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I ran mine w/out a case for the first couple of days while waiting on my case to be delivered, but I hated it. For one, I just feel like I'm going to break the phone w/out at least a slim case ... and more of a problem was how I had to hold the phone to avoid touching the screen just by holding it. Honestly, I HATE the curved edges and tiny/thin bezel. I don't see the benefit in any way of the curved edges, and they only get in the way for me.

So, I had a super slim case on the phone for a couple of weeks, and it was too slim on the sides ... I was still accidentally touching the screen on the edges when I didn't mean to be, just by holding the phone. So, I got the Spigen soft-touch silicone style slim case that's a lot like the stock apple silicone cases for the iphones, and it's perfect. Still very slim, protective, and just enough "meat" on the edges to keep me from touching the sides of the screen when I hold the phone like a normal person should be able to hold a phone.

Now, I'd LOVE to be able to run this thing w/out a case ... but I just can't. But I do like the way it looks and feels with the Spigen case, and I'm more than happy with it.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I'd agree that going naked is fantastic for the quality in-hand feel but a case is practical for more than just protection, those accidental touches and palm rejection are super annoying!

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I would rock a lanyard if I were you. Just in case someone bumps your precious phone right out of your buttery hands. Accidents happen people!
No lanyard and yeah accidents happen. I do have 2 cases and insurance. If I had a job where there was a greater risk of my phone getting damaged in some way I would probably use a case more often.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up a holster for an s10 plus without a case. I should have it tomorrow. Should allow me to carry the phone more securely this way. I'll see how it works out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Same here. I have co-workers where their screen protectors are jacked up and it drives me nuts. Couldn't imagine having a broken screen and using it. I'd have to immediately fix the screen or just buy another device.

Same here lol
And I see lot of people walking around with cracked screens ...me personally I just can't