Not Receiving App Badges

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
Anyone else not showing any app badges when messages appear? This is mainly for my email app and messages app. I like seeing number of notifications from the app badges on my homescreen but I haven't figured out what the problem is. Everything is turned on as far as I can tell on my settings, then again I am a first time Android user. What am I doing wrong?

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Android world! Have you gone to the notifications settings and double checked "show with number" is selected and enabled?
Anyone else not showing any app badges when messages appear? This is mainly for my email app and messages app. I like seeing number of notifications from the app badges on my homescreen but I haven't figured out what the problem is. Everything is turned on as far as I can tell on my settings, then again I am a first time Android user. What am I doing wrong?
Screenshot_20190321-094454_Settings.jpeg

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing you are coming from iOS where it shows the number of unread items in the app like total number of unread messages/emails and not the number of unread notifications.

Out of the box in most Android phones/launchers, the app icon badge just shows unread notification from that app and not actually the unread contents inside that app itself like iOS. Personally, I prefer this for some apps but can see how it's not perfect for some apps like email if you just want unread emails count to be displayed on the app icon. You can change this in other launchers, for example in Nova launcher you can install an add-on called Tesla unread and set up for individual apps if you want this behavior. For example see in my screenshot Gmail shows unread emails 999+

I don't think there is a way to do this on stock samsung one UI launcher.

Nova launcher setting
https://i.imgur.com/8AY98Jr.jpg

Gmail unread example
https://i.imgur.com/aKuUwtx.jpg

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
Is this only possible with Nova Prime? I'm running Nova Free and don't have access to notification settings. Could it be that I'm not getting the app notifications because im running Nova?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is this only possible with Nova Prime? I'm running Nova Free and don't have access to notification settings. Could it be that I'm not getting the app notifications because im running Nova?
Yes the notification badges on the app icon is only on Nova prime. Personally my opinion Nova prime is worth it but I'm guessing there are lots of other launchers which might provide you similar functionality, but I'm not sure if they will be free or paid.

Not sure what you mean by getting only app notifications though? You get notifications irrespective of you have free or paid, that's built into Android. On the paid Nova version, you have much finer control on whether you want to display new notifications on app icon, or total unread messages on app icon etc.

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
Sorry, I meant badge notifications on the app. So, presumably, if I remove Nova Free and go back to One UI, I'll get normal badges on the app. Hmm... I rather like Nova launcher but $5 seems really steep for an app. I'll have to think about it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I meant badge notifications on the app. So, presumably, if I remove Nova Free and go back to One UI, I'll get normal badges on the app. Hmm... I rather like Nova launcher but $5 seems really steep for an app. I'll have to think about it.
Ok if you care only about app icon badge notifications then there are plenty of launchers like Nova. Though you might have sideload, look at many of the Pixel launcher derivatives and they all have app icon badges. Search for lawnchair launcher 2 alpha apk and sideload it. It's pretty great, or there is also CPL launcher and many others. Action launcher is one more option from play store though I'm not sure if app icon badges is available on free version (been a while since I last used action). There is also Microsoft launcher from play store which has app icon badges for free. And many more launchers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers