My 2 week thoughts - Pros & Cons

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Always like to do this after a week or 2 with a new device, have been using the 10+ now for nearly 2 weeks. Not a review but more my pros and cons so far.

+ Love the in-hand feel of the ceramic. Went for ceramic as I do not use a case not necessarily for resistance to drops but more so scratches

+ Prefer the cut out to a notch. Although other than the Pixel’s bucket notch I really do not mind notches

+ The screen is amazing
+ Performance is good, no Samsung lag to report

+ Headphone jack, yay!

+ OneUi is much improved and offers features that are important to me on androis such as a good AOD, Bluetooth volume sync. Shame about the gesture implementation though!

+ Storage options plus SD support mean I can get all my stuff on there without worrying. Phones that top out at 128gb with no expandable (like the pixel) are just a little too close for comfort for me, storage is not something I want to worry about

+ The wide angle camera is genuinely useful

- Battery remains under-par for a 4100 ma cell. Have stated this on other threads so wont labour it.

- Linked to my first minus I get the sense that the Exynos is really inferior this year. We already pay more in the UK so I do feel a little short-changed here.

- The design is nice but not as next-level as Samsung would have you think. I still think even with the notch the iPhone looks more edge to edge than the S10

- Curved screens have had their time imo. For so many reasons (accidental touches, lost real-estate, edge distortion etc) but mostly I think curved screens are a bit of a cheat by Samsung. If you flattened it the side bezels would actually be pretty big

- FPS, mine has settled down now but as I also use the (insecure) face ID I do not use it as much as I should. It is not as reliable or fast as traditional sensors and honestly I would rather they sat out this first generation and stuck with one on the back

- Bluetooth audio is hit and miss. Spotify stops playing on a regular basis (never had this on pie on my Note 9) and when playing FLAC files the best quality option has really choppy audio so for LDAC you have to choose ‘balanced’ or lower.

- Camera hardware for the main camera is unchanged from the S9, which was already not as good as the pixel or mate 20 pro

- Power button is way too high. I wonder how many people have dropped their phones when they have to adjust to reach it. A bit like Samsungs FPS design from recent years, I get the sense that the main designer had the day off when they did this.

So overall a keeper just not the slam dunk I was hoping for. Interested in seeing how other are finding it?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Agree on most except:

+ Battery - My battery is definitely better than Note 9 (QC)
+ FPS - Now that I have the hang of it, hardly ever have fails.
+/- Power button - At first felt awkward finding from note 9 placement, but now no biggie.
+/- Bluetooth. For most part no issues but signal seems weaker than on note 9 and will cut out if I turn my head a certain way..lol.

Curved screens don't bother me and were worse on Note 9.
Camera, defintly seems better than note 9.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
I agree on most every aspect of your observations. The FPS works great for me without a problem and the battery seems fine. I wish we would just KILL the curved screens. We are moving away generation by generation so I would rather get on with it.

The camera can't be described as a win, but it's probably the most well rounded phone on Android other than that. Let's put it this way... I have REFUSED to buy a Samsung phone for years and years because of the curved display, lag lag lag, bloatware and heavy UI. This phone changed all of that and the hole punch is way better than a notch. If the camera would hold out as "one of the best" for the year, I would probably stick with it all the way through. Still hoping for a software update to change that before I switch. It's a great device.

Glen2018

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
I still use the S9 but from my experience with this product and what I've heard about the S10, I agree with all of your comments. Most of all, I agree that the fingerprint reader should be on the back. It's the most natural place for it and that's where my finger lands when I pick up the phone. Besides there is enough going on on the front so adding the fingerprint reader is likely very expensive and difficult.

I'm fine with my camera but whatever happened to the basic adjustments that could be done right after a photo was taken?

Overall though these are good phones.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: My 2 week thoughts - Pros & Cons

When they put the FPS on the back people were saying the front is the most natural place for it. Curved screens are fine imo. Apparently Samsung is selling plenty of curved screen phones or they would switch back. They must not be losing sales to competitors because of the curved screen. They should offer both versions to keep everyone happy, but the curved screens are keeping the majority happy. Samsung has always been about being different then the competitors.

Last edited:

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Strange though it may sound it would not surprise me if part the persistence with curved screens could be a costs measure i.e. it creates the illusion of a much smaller bezel than there actually is. I'll admit it does look and feel nice but some of the drawbacks are annoying. I prefer a flat screen and for example those Pixel 4 renders look really really nice!

In retrospect the camera is probably a neutral rather than minus as the additions do make up for the main sensor and even that is still very good.

Re battery maybe everybody who is happy is on the SD version?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I switched to the S10 after using a LG G6 for 2 years (which I really loved) and I'm now fully immersed in the S10 world. Great screen and the phone feels good in the hand. I like the improved battery life over my G6, but it took me a while to forget the old muscle memory of trying to press the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone!

The in-screen FPS is probably the quirkiest thing I need to deal with on the S10. Fortunately, I use the smart unlock feature with my bluetooth connection to my Gear Sport watch to keep my phone unlocked. However, I still need to deal with the FPS for certain apps.

External speakers are pretty loud, and the speaker phone works well. I'd prefer a flat screen (like with my LG G6), but after putting on a slim silicone case I don't have any false side screen touches.

In the end, I'm glad I made the upgrade especially with Samsung accepting my 2 year old G6 for $300 in their trade in offer.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I switched to the S10 after using a LG G6 for 2 years (which I really loved) and I'm now fully immersed in the S10 world. Great screen and the phone feels good in the hand. I like the improved battery life over my G6, but it took me a while to forget the old muscle memory of trying to press the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone!

The in-screen FPS is probably the quirkiest thing I need to deal with on the S10. Fortunately, I use the smart unlock feature with my bluetooth connection to my Gear Sport watch to keep my phone unlocked. However, I still need to deal with the FPS for certain apps.

External speakers are pretty loud, and the speaker phone works well. I'd prefer a flat screen (like with my LG G6), but after putting on a slim silicone case I don't have any false side screen touches.

In the end, I'm glad I made the upgrade especially with Samsung accepting my 2 year old G6 for $300 in their trade in offer.
Since you're new to the curved screens, check out the following app and you will see a big improvement. If you haven't yet, also download good lock from the Samsung store, you will find more helpful stuff.

Edge touch

http://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.app.edgetouch

Good lock

http://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.samsung.android.goodlock

Shantanusahai

Mar 22, 2019
Visit site

Silly bugs - the app shortcuts on the lock screen cannot be disabled for some reason. Even if you click on no shortcuts it still inserts one !!

The Bixby routines is buggy -in the driving mode routine where Spotify is connected to the car Bluetooth and playing, if a call comes on the phone, the song just keeps playing inside the phone speaker !! So one has to listen to music in the phone while talking !!

The camera in low light is dark and pixelated. Pretty bad pics even in slightly low light conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith