S10 Plus Exynos charging is a joke

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So to cut things short. I switched to the S10P from a Mate 20 Pro. And yeah the biggest disappointment to my S10P is the charging speed...

Charging while using the phone takes forever lmao. I remembered my M20P charging so fast Ampere app showed 5000 mA...

For a $1700 phone it should have better charging speed...

Btw, my S10P is the Exynos version. Anyone have a way to charge it faster? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190325-232946_Ampere.jpg
    Screenshot_20190325-232946_Ampere.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
5000 mA charge on a 4200 mAh battery is asking for an explosion. 1C is the absolute maxi,um you should charge a lithium battery (4200 mA). Something tells me that Ampere isn't being as accurate as it used to be.

Whether Samsung integrated Qualcom's Quick Charge technology into their Exynos SoCs properly is a different question. (You'll notice that Ampere says the maximum charge rate was 3120 mA, which is about as high as you want to go with a 4000 mAh battery. Also, draining the battery down below 24% - which you've obviously done - is a good way to keep the battery makers in business. 40%, then charge or off.)

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
So to cut things short. I switched to the S10P from a Mate 20 Pro. And yeah the biggest disappointment to my S10P is the charging speed...

Charging while using the phone takes forever lmao. I remembered my M20P charging so fast Ampere app showed 5000 mA...

Btw, my S10P is the Exynos version. Anyone have a way to charge it faster? Thanks.
Do you prefer the Galaxy to the Mate?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also suspect something erroneous with the Mate 20 charge reporting, but you said something else that caught my eye.

Charging while using the phone takes forever lmao.

If you're using the phone, charge rates naturally go down. There's a finite amount of power a charger can deliver, which is split between running the phone and adding to the battery. The harder you use the phone, the more power it will draw, leaving less to charge the battery. If this heats up the phone, the charge rate will be further reduced to try protecting the battery from damage.

Some manufacturers also just throttle the charge when the screen is on as a matter of course. I don't have any Samsung experience, but i know LG is bad about this. With sealed batteries, it's reasonable to do what they can to protect it.

Miljan Milosavljevic

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I set all my phones in slow charging mode. Only If I have a need for a fast charging, I turn it ON. Why? becouse all those Amps. are degrading life time of battery cells. If someone is planing to keep the phone for 2 years or longer I recommend this way.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
5000 mA charge on a 4200 mAh battery is asking for an explosion. 1C is the absolute maxi,um you should charge a lithium battery (4200 mA). Something tells me that Ampere isn't being as accurate as it used to be.

Whether Samsung integrated Qualcom's Quick Charge technology into their Exynos SoCs properly is a different question. (You'll notice that Ampere says the maximum charge rate was 3120 mA, which is about as high as you want to go with a 4000 mAh battery. Also, draining the battery down below 24% - which you've obviously done - is a good way to keep the battery makers in business. 40%, then charge or off.)

Well, my M20P was fine for around 5 months. Yes i know the battery will degrade faster but daym S10P Exynos is such a failure in charging.

But charging with screen off is more acceptable.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Do you prefer the Galaxy to the Mate?

Hi, of course i do. Why? Because i have OCD. i dont touch my buttons. Thus the Galaxy is better for me. And the camera might not be as WOW as the M20P but at least it doesnt tell me to be steady or hold bla bla while capturing photos with Auto mode.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I also suspect something erroneous with the Mate 20 charge reporting, but you said something else that caught my eye.

If you're using the phone, charge rates naturally go down. There's a finite amount of power a charger can deliver, which is split between running the phone and adding to the battery. The harder you use the phone, the more power it will draw, leaving less to charge the battery. If this heats up the phone, the charge rate will be further reduced to try protecting the battery from damage.

Some manufacturers also just throttle the charge when the screen is on as a matter of course. I don't have any Samsung experience, but i know LG is bad about this. With sealed batteries, it's reasonable to do what they can to protect it.

Alright let me give 3 examples. OnePlus 6 vs Mate 20 Pro vs S10P. OP6 and M20P does a very great job. S10P does crap. Yeah i know im not supposed to use the phone while charging but come on for $1700 this better be fast.

Even with screen turned off the S10P is far behind the OP6 and M20P...

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I set all my phones in slow charging mode. Only If I have a need for a fast charging, I turn it ON. Why? becouse all those Amps. are degrading life time of battery cells. If someone is planing to keep the phone for 2 years or longer I recommend this way.

I know. But i change phones every 6 months maximum. And this is crazy...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Alright let me give 3 examples. OnePlus 6 vs Mate 20 Pro vs S10P. OP6 and M20P does a very great job. S10P does crap. Yeah i know im not supposed to use the phone while charging but come on for $1700 this better be fast.

Even with screen turned off the S10P is far behind the OP6 and M20P...
It's a trade-off. If the reverse were true and Samsung charged just as fast with he screen on and in use, then we'd have even more people complaining in 6 months that their batteries are shot.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a trade-off. If the reverse were true and Samsung charged just as fast with he screen on and in use, then we'd have even more people complaining in 6 months that their batteries are shot.

My OP6 and OP6T battery charge lasted more than 6 months... Can still last a day easily...

jimjonesG7

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
You might be the minority with this problem.. And not a correct reflection of the thread title... My Exynos S10+ charges really fast, and try not to charge past 80%. Your expectations might need to come down a bit.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
xiaomi just introduced a 100W turbo charge a 4000mAh phone in 17 mins from zero percent.
Have a link to anything on that battery design? If that's not a typo, that would require a beefy battery (referring to the internal component design) to handle what looks to be up to a 5C charge rate. Making a 100W charger is easy. It's the battery design I'm curious about. I know batteries do exist in the RC world that are capable of a 5C charge rate, but they aren't a run of the mill Lipo.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

You know what's funny Samsung midrange phone A70 gets super fast charger 25w .

Fille84

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Didn't know fast charging was a high end feature..you can find fast charging in the cheapest phones out there. Personally I prefer a slower cooler charging, yeah it will take me an hour longer but so much better for the battery

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Charging speeds is really the only area Samsung really lags.

I also have the Oneplus 6T mclaren edition which has a 30w warp charge. Its really nice not to worry about battery being low because you can plug it in for a bit and get easily enough battery for the rest of the day.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Didn't know fast charging was a high end feature..you can find fast charging in the cheapest phones out there. Personally I prefer a slower cooler charging, yeah it will take me an hour longer but so much better for the battery

Fast charging isnt a high end feature. But for $1700 it better be fast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn