[SOLVED] Ads ... how to stop them?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ads ... how to stop them?

I am actually surprised that by now, at least, Google or even Samsung hasn't included a QR scanner in the camera app. It would make life a little easier, as QR codes are becoming more prevalent, and having it embedded in the camera would just make sense.

Except they have. For a while. Samsung in the form of Bixby, Google inside Assistant's Lens.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

How do I use those? I usually install Barcode Scanner on my phones and have had no issues but I'm curious anyway.

In Samsung camera's (as long as they support Bixby) you'll see the Bixby Vision button somewhere in the interface (either atop or at the bottom).

For Google, I'm not sure if it's in the camera or if you have to launch Google Lens from the Assistant.

OrangeBerry02

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

I am actually surprised that by now, at least, Google or even Samsung hasn't included a QR scanner in the camera app. It would make life a little easier, as QR codes are becoming more prevalent, and having it embedded in the camera would just make sense.

Here! Here!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure about Samsung but on other brands Google Lens is included in the camera app so it's very easy to scan QR codes. Another way is using Google Photos, take a picture or a screenshot from a site and scan it using the Google Lens option. Quite easy.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
For example, this is how it works with my G7+. As soon as the camera detects a QR code it will display that yellow button and if you tap it the associated link will pop up. No need to open Google Lens.Screenshot_20190330-142658.jpeg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I think it's been mentioned earlier but... In camera app Bixby Vision has QR scanner as well as scanning barcodes and wine bottles and translating text.

I use it often while disabling the Bixby button and super surprised the translate works better than Google translate or lens.

Here! Here!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, Bixby Vision is pretty much the only worthy-of-your-time thing about Bixby. Yes, routines are nice in the S10 line but come on... you can do those with other apps, too. Bixby Vision, however, is not only not bad, but sometimes feels better than the rest! But, you know, Bixby, so people either won't try it or will 'never ever ever buy another Samsung again OMG why' because they put a Bixby button somewhere.