[SOLVED] Ads ... how to stop them?

OrangeBerry02

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Since getting my S10 I've been plagued with full page ads popping up when I open my phone ... not every time but regularly enough to be really irritating. Never had this problem on my S8 so I guess I've got something wrong in the settings, hit a button or whatever.

Don't really want to add software to resolve the problem if I can help it.

Grateful for any help.

OrangeBerry02

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Ads ... how to stop them?

Those ads are caused by an app that you downloaded. This guide can help you to find the culprit.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=901497

Sadly this has not worked ... the ads NEVER show up in recent apps and trying to work out the culprit from Running Apps is for me impossible. I have methodically, using the system proposed, removed ALL apps I have on apart from my basic core apps and I still have the problem. I now have the occasional appearance of a really irritating video from BT trying to sell me something ... as a result I am just about to cancel an order I have with them that isn't related!

So ... I will tolerate the intolerable until I can find the time to return everything to factory settings and start again from scratch.

... but, thanks for trying to help. And everyone else, be careful!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Sadly this has not worked ... the ads NEVER show up in recent apps and trying to work out the culprit from Running Apps is for me impossible. I have methodically, using the system proposed, removed ALL apps I have on apart from my basic core apps and I still have the problem. I now have the occasional appearance of a really irritating video from BT trying to sell me something ... as a result I am just about to cancel an order I have with them that isn't related!

So ... I will tolerate the intolerable until I can find the time to return everything to factory settings and start again from scratch.

... but, thanks for trying to help. And everyone else, be careful!
Do you want to try what we did here?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=952232

Post your memory usage and running services screens right after getting the ad and we'll take a look.

OrangeBerry02

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Do you want to try what we did here?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=952232

Post your memory usage and running services screens right after getting the ad and we'll take a look.

Definitely ... v kind thank you ... I will post when it happens again and I can do the screenshots for you. I hasten to add I don't really understand what I'm doing but can replicate Plff710's output for you to look at.

MUCH appreciated.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

After a quick look a couple of apps grabbed my attention, Solitaire and QR Code scanner. Similar apps have several reviews complaining about intrusive ads. Not sure which ones you have installed though.

OrangeBerry02

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

After a quick look a couple of apps grabbed my attention, Solitaire and QR Code scanner. Similar apps have several reviews complaining about intrusive ads. Not sure which ones you have installed though.

You are good, thanks.

I'll properly uninstall both and report back!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Check the reviews for those two apps in the Play Store and maybe uninstall them temporarily to see if the ads stop.

OrangeBerry02

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site

Javier P

Thanks to you, problem now solved. As it turns out I could have solved the problem myself if I had read (as you advise) the reviews for the culprit software before installing. Lesson learned for the future!

In my case, the culprit was QR Scanner by G-Tool Lab. Having uninstalled that app, no full page advertisements have re-appeared.

Many thanks ... you have saved me piles of anguish re-setting my phone ... and it works now, as it should!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

the culprit was QR Scanner

I am actually surprised that by now, at least, Google or even Samsung hasn't included a QR scanner in the camera app. It would make life a little easier, as QR codes are becoming more prevalent, and having it embedded in the camera would just make sense.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Javier P

Thanks to you, problem now solved. As it turns out I could have solved the problem myself if I had read (as you advise) the reviews for the culprit software before installing. Lesson learned for the future!

In my case, the culprit was QR Scanner by G-Tool Lab. Having uninstalled that app, no full page advertisements have re-appeared.

Many thanks ... you have saved me piles of anguish re-setting my phone ... and it works now, as it should!
Excellent! Glad it helped and thanks for the follow up. See you around the forums.

Leafs1201

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

I had this a couple of months ago on my Note 8, turned out it was a rogue app that was doing it, IP Vanish was the culprit for me, as soon as I uninstalled it the ads stopped, needless to say I haven't put it on my S10+ either.