From iPhone XS to S10+, Samsung/Android has finally arrived.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
So just wanted to post for those thinking about doing the same and share my thoughts.

I have used Android numerous times before from Samsung like the S2/6/7/8, I have also tried LG G5 and a Note 7, all of which have been nice phones but after a while I always end up back with iPhones and a few years back after the S8 I finally gave up and told myself I would stick with iOS or so I thought.

I was in the fence and missed the pre order since I was nervous to try Android again and I have watched tons of videos and read tons of posts on the S10+ many of which cast even more doubts with radio issues, FPS issues, camera issues and more so here are some thoughts from the switch of platforms and device performance.

The S10+ is just excellent, there is no way around it, this is the first time on an Android device where I do not feel like a second class citizen.

The phone is blazing fast, I have not touched the animations because I like them, I enjoy the fluid nature of iOS and leaving them on makes me feel at home.

One major area of improvement and I am not sure if it's Samsung or Android is the scrolling, scrolling on my older Android phones felt terrible, too fast and janky, if you have used an iPhone for an extensive amount of time you know what I am talking about, it's fluid and super smooth, the S10+ feels mostly the same and while it may not be major to me it's a vast improvement.

The fingerprint sensor while not as seamless an experience as face ID, is brilliant and while I won't discount that some people may be experiencing issue, for me mine is working incredibly well, I get the random miss but its easily 95% accurate and feels relatively the same speed as face ID.

Call quality and device reception have been phenomenal, the audio is clear, loud and crisp and I have more bars on the S10 in the same area than I would on my iPhone .

One UI actually is awesome , I do not want to change it out and it feels like Samsung figured it out finally, it just assists rather than gets in the way unlike previous Samsung interfaces. It's buttery smooth and actually looks very nice , Samsung removed a bunch of the excess and now the phone feels like a more polished version on Android rather than Samsung's own version of what they want Android to look like, this is a massive imorovment.

Apps on Android used to look like crap, sorry but compared to their iOS counterparts they just did, this is not the case, I am blown away how much better things are these days on the app store , granted these are all commercial apps I am talking about but seriously, it's pretty much a one to one now and I noticed some apps like Starbucks have the identical UX now for both operating systems.

Battery has been very good so far, I tried something different this go round. Usually I disable every single Samsung feature, every good location service and on and on to conserve battery and no matter what I could not stop obsessing over the battery, this is no longer the case, I didn't turn a single thing off this time and I can easily get 6.5+ hours of SoT, basically a normal day or moderate use with tons of emails and notifications add YouTube and Spotify and I can end the day with roughly 40% battery and about 4+ hours of SoT.

I won't go into the whole notch versus punch but the screen is gorgeous as are both but yeah this screen rocks.

What can I say the whole experience between hardware, software and the quality of apps has made this feel like a first class experience unlike any of my previous attempts trying to move to Android.

Cameras are something I am still working out but seem to be on par with the XS, some times the S10 shot is better other times the iPhone is better, having the wide angle is very cool.

Samsung has really outdone themselves this time, if you are not totally tied into the apple ecosystem and or just want to try something fresh this is one hell of a device and will surely make that transition feel much more seamless than past iterations.

I am still working out how to send mass images to my wife since we used to use airdrop for this but now we are trying Google images which unfortunately required her to make a Google photo account.

I want to be able to send her numerous images that will save directly to her device not to Google photos but we will find a way.

Video chat we are going to try Allo or hangouts.

Anyways this is just a great device , I have been honestly trying to find a reason to return it since I feel guilty for spending the money when I have an XS but it's just that good I just can't.

Sorry for such a long winded post but I wanted to try and type something long on my S10+ and thought these thoughts might be useful to others.

Cheers

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit I didn't read the whole post, but I'm glad you are enjoying your phone. Just a note Allo is being done away with for messaging. Duo is excellent for video calls though. My iPhone using family even prefers it to FaceTime. Enjoy!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
My only problem with the iPhone is the PRICE.

I have both, TBH I only got the XS Gold 64GB because I saved $420 over retail cost. I would've kept my 256GB iPhone 8 Plus.

Each has it's advantages. If I had to pick android because it will keep me entertained as I can CUSTOMIZE it and like I said cheaper and honestly the S10 is so beautiful.

As I said in the other thread I'm actually EXCITED about this upgrade and not just because I can.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So just wanted to post for those thinking about doing the same and share my thoughts.

I have used Android numerous times before from Samsung like the S2/6/7/8, I have also tried LG G5 and a Note 7, all of which have been nice phones but after a while I always end up back with iPhones and a few years back after the S8 I finally gave up and told myself I would stick with iOS or so I thought.

I was in the fence and missed the pre order since I was nervous to try Android again and I have watched tons of videos and read tons of posts on the S10+ many of which cast even more doubts with radio issues, FPS issues, camera issues and more so here are some thoughts from the switch of platforms and device performance.

The S10+ is just excellent, there is no way around it, this is the first time on an Android device where I do not feel like a second class citizen.

The phone is blazing fast, I have not touched the animations because I like them, I enjoy the fluid nature of iOS and leaving them on makes me feel at home.

One major area of improvement and I am not sure if it's Samsung or Android is the scrolling, scrolling on my older Android phones felt terrible, too fast and janky, if you have used an iPhone for an extensive amount of time you know what I am talking about, it's fluid and super smooth, the S10+ feels mostly the same and while it may not be major to me it's a vast improvement.

The fingerprint sensor while not as seamless an experience as face ID, is brilliant and while I won't discount that some people may be experiencing issue, for me mine is working incredibly well, I get the random miss but its easily 95% accurate and feels relatively the same speed as face ID.

Call quality and device reception have been phenomenal, the audio is clear, loud and crisp and I have more bars on the S10 in the same area than I would on my iPhone .

One UI actually is awesome , I do not want to change it out and it feels like Samsung figured it out finally, it just assists rather than gets in the way unlike previous Samsung interfaces. It's buttery smooth and actually looks very nice , Samsung removed a bunch of the excess and now the phone feels like a more polished version on Android rather than Samsung's own version of what they want Android to look like, this is a massive imorovment.

Apps on Android used to look like crap, sorry but compared to their iOS counterparts they just did, this is not the case, I am blown away how much better things are these days on the app store , granted these are all commercial apps I am talking about but seriously, it's pretty much a one to one now and I noticed some apps like Starbucks have the identical UX now for both operating systems.

Battery has been very good so far, I tried something different this go round. Usually I disable every single Samsung feature, every good location service and on and on to conserve battery and no matter what I could not stop obsessing over the battery, this is no longer the case, I didn't turn a single thing off this time and I can easily get 6.5+ hours of SoT, basically a normal day or moderate use with tons of emails and notifications add YouTube and Spotify and I can end the day with roughly 40% battery and about 4+ hours of SoT.

I won't go into the whole notch versus punch but the screen is gorgeous as are both but yeah this screen rocks.

What can I say the whole experience between hardware, software and the quality of apps has made this feel like a first class experience unlike any of my previous attempts trying to move to Android.

Cameras are something I am still working out but seem to be on par with the XS, some times the S10 shot is better other times the iPhone is better, having the wide angle is very cool.

Samsung has really outdone themselves this time, if you are not totally tied into the apple ecosystem and or just want to try something fresh this is one hell of a device and will surely make that transition feel much more seamless than past iterations.

I am still working out how to send mass images to my wife since we used to use airdrop for this but now we are trying Google images which unfortunately required her to make a Google photo account.

I want to be able to send her numerous images that will save directly to her device not to Google photos but we will find a way.

Anyways this is just a great device , I have been honestly trying to find a reason to return it since I feel guilty for spending the money when I have an XS but it's just that good I just can't.

Sorry for such a long winded post but I wanted to try and type something long on my S10+ and thought these thoughts might be useful to others.

Cheers

Glad your enjoying your phone too! My dad has an iPhone we use tango for video chat.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit I didn't read the whole post, but I'm glad you are enjoying your phone. Just a note Allo is being done away with for messaging. Duo is excellent for video calls though. My iPhone using family even prefers it to FaceTime. Enjoy!
Actually you are correct haha, I meant Duo just got the names confused :)

Cheers!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I totally agree. The s10 line is amazing. Love mine as well. my wife and I use whatsapp for video and photo sharing and also video calling. She likes her iphone and has no intention of switching. So we use whatsapp.

PacManDroid

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I as well made the change but from an iPhone X, really what's the difference from what you had haha. Any way, I have not had any regrets about the switch. I too have jumped back and forth between iOS and Android using mostly Nexus/Pixel phones along the day. The only thing I miss so far is being able to use force touch on your keyboard to easily move the cursor around.

REALLY loving my S10+ so far

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

Cheers

Second class citizen? 🤔 This thought from Apple users is one of the main reasons I've avoided and can't stand Apple. It's a locked down overpriced device. No reason to feel you're first class just for owning it. Although the S10 isn't cheap either. At least they allow you to make it your own.🙄

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Second class citizen? This thought from Apple users is one of the main reasons I've avoided and can't stand Apple. It's a locked down overpriced device. No reason to feel you're first class just for owning it. Although the S10 isn't cheap either. At least they allow you to make it your own.
Sorry I think you completely missed the comments purpose. When I said second class I am not describing the price rather the quality of the software experience.

It's not exactly a secret that most vendors used to cater to the iOS market first and then eventually roll out an Android app and typically the overall quality of the Android app used to be subpar in comparison.

So again no snobbery for owning a device with an apple logo, just the overall experience quality and polish.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I think you completely missed the comments purpose. When I said second class I am not describing the price rather the quality of the software experience.

It's not exactly a secret that most vendors used to cater to the iOS market first and then eventually roll out an Android app and typically the overall quality of the Android app used to be subpar in comparison.

So again no snobbery for owning a device with an apple logo, just the overall experience quality and polish.

I didn't mean to sound harsh. My apologise. They catered to Apple because it is an US company and it paid them to. Most others are from other countries. Samsung=South Korea, etc. They've had to work harder to infiltrate the US market. They're doing a good job considering what they're up against. There has always been an uncalled for arrogance tied to owning an iPhone that I've never understood though. That turned me off from it. I also feel that the P30 is a great device, but they and others are up against the same barrier that Samsung had to break. Not being a US company.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Well that's not the case now as I assume I like others are turning toward devices like the S10+ since it feels like Samsung has really done an incredible job and might have made it enticing enough to sway people over.

Honestly at this point the experience is on par in more ways than not.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Well that's not the case now as I assume I like others are turning toward devices like the S10+ since it feels like Samsung has really done an incredible job and might have made it enticing enough to sway people over.

Honestly at this point the experience is on par in more ways than not.

Well. Welcome aboard. I hope your experience continues to be a good one. 😁

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend and I switched from Apple as well. I had the Xs Max and she had the regular Xs, we also both had apple watch series 4's. Now I have the S10+ and she has the S10, both with the new active watches. We are so happy that we have switched over, the camera is amazing on this thing! I used it last night at a concert and the video playback is great. We are both happy that we made the switch after so long with apple and all the nickle and dime'ing they do!

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Second class citizen? This thought from Apple users is one of the main reasons I've avoided and can't stand Apple. It's a locked down overpriced device. No reason to feel you're first class just for owning it. Although the S10 isn't cheap either. At least they allow you to make it your own.

While you can argue that the devices Apple puts out are locked down being that you don’t have as many customization options, the vast majority of android users never really “customize” their phone short of throwing a default widget and a background picture.

I wouldn’t say Apple devices are overpriced at this point when both android and Apple offer pretty much the same capabilities. Yes you can organize the icons on the screen on android. But for me being both an android and an iPhone user I tend to lead more towards iPhone for a few reasons. One being the truly seamless integration of features that you just don’t get with android. Like messages, FaceTime, phone calls between devices, hell even AirPods are pretty darn seamless.

Android still has a long way to go to catch up to somethings Apple has done very well. I’m looking at all the multiple apps that come default on androids vs iPhones. Why do we need multiple internet browsers? Multiple email apps? Multiple messaging apps?

I would say build quality between the iPhone XS Max and the Galaxy S10+ is pretty close to equal, Samsung has a better display but the display on the iPhone is no slouch either.

I definitely prefer apples faceid vs any fingerprint scanner, it just works way better for me. I’d have a hard time moving back to fingerprint unlocking at this point.

Also the price point for the high end Samsung phones is pretty close to apples too.

heatherburks

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Cheers

What device do your wife use? If it's a Samsung too there is a way to "Airdrop"

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
She is using an XS Max.

The only trying part of me going off on my own with Android is the loss of iMessage and airdrop since my wife and both kids use iPhones .

heatherburks

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
She is using an XS Max.

The only trying part of me going off on my own with Android is the loss of iMessage and airdrop since my wife and both kids use iPhones .

Ah well if she gets a Samsung it does have a thing called Share to Device which is the same as Airdrop. Maybe you can persuade her over? Otherwise email or Facebook messenger sends in the best quality.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
While you can argue that the devices Apple puts out are locked down being that you don’t have as many customization options, the vast majority of android users never really “customize” their phone short of throwing a default widget and a background picture.

I wouldn’t say Apple devices are overpriced at this point when both android and Apple offer pretty much the same capabilities. Yes you can organize the icons on the screen on android. But for me being both an android and an iPhone user I tend to lead more towards iPhone for a few reasons. One being the truly seamless integration of features that you just don’t get with android. Like messages, FaceTime, phone calls between devices, hell even AirPods are pretty darn seamless.

Android still has a long way to go to catch up to somethings Apple has done very well. I’m looking at all the multiple apps that come default on androids vs iPhones. Why do we need multiple internet browsers? Multiple email apps? Multiple messaging apps?

I would say build quality between the iPhone XS Max and the Galaxy S10+ is pretty close to equal, Samsung has a better display but the display on the iPhone is no slouch either.

I definitely prefer apples faceid vs any fingerprint scanner, it just works way better for me. I’d have a hard time moving back to fingerprint unlocking at this point.

Also the price point for the high end Samsung phones is pretty close to apples too.

The display on the iPhone is also made by Samsung. Let's not kid ourselves like they made their own.