My new S10+ is not receiving two factor sms messages when using the Google messages sms app. However, if I open the default Samsung installed sms messaging app and set it as the default sms app, the message containing the two factor code is there and waiting. If I then switch back to the Google messenger app, I can then see the two factor message in the Google messenger app. I have not noticed an issue with sending or receiving any other messages to anyone, it seems to just be in regards to two factor codes. I have noticed this behavior from multiple two factor services not just one particular service sending a two factor sms code. If anyone has an ideas as to what might be causing this I would really appreciate it. I much prefer the Google messenger app over the Samsung default but it is annoying having to switch between them when using sms two factor authentication. Verizon Wireless is my phone carrier.
    04-02-2019 01:38 PM
    My new S10+ is not receiving two factor sms messages when using the Google messages sms app. However, if I open the default Samsung installed sms messaging app and set it as the default sms app, the message containing the two factor code is there and waiting. If I then switch back to the Google messenger app, I can then see the two factor message in the Google messenger app. I have not noticed an issue with sending or receiving any other messages to anyone, it seems to just be in regards to two factor codes. I have noticed this behavior from multiple two factor services not just one particular service sending a two factor sms code. If anyone has an ideas as to what might be causing this I would really appreciate it. I much prefer the Google messenger app over the Samsung default but it is annoying having to switch between them when using sms two factor authentication. Verizon Wireless is my phone carrier.
    In the Google Messenger app, try: Settings -> Advanced -> Service messages & turn "Receive service messages" on.
    04-02-2019 04:03 PM
    In the Google Messenger app, try: Settings -> Advanced -> Service messages & turn "Receive service messages" on.
    Unfortunately, I don't have that setting as an option ☹️
    04-05-2019 01:21 AM
    You keep saying Google Messenger??? I don't find a messenger app from Google unless you mean Hangouts... Please post the Play Store share link for the app you're talking about.
    04-06-2019 12:31 AM
    You keep saying Google Messenger??? I don't find a messenger app from Google unless you mean Hangouts... Please post the Play Store share link for the app you're talking about.
    It's called Messages. It's the Google messages app.
    04-06-2019 12:41 AM
    Attached Thumbnails S10+ Google Messages app not receiving two factor sms-2802.jpg  
    04-06-2019 12:43 AM
    Yeah I found that but that's messages but the closest thing to a messenger app Google has is Hangouts. Anyway, why do you like Google messages so much? IMO Google does a lot right but they suck at messaging. Handsent, also known as Now SMS, is pretty good as are several others. If you have Verizon Messages+ isn't bad either. Another alternative is getting a Google Voice account. I use that as my two step phone number for everything. Plus for those of us who don't want to pay for visual voicemail it's a great alternative, and again it ties into all of your Google services.
    04-06-2019 02:08 AM
    Yeah I found that but that's messages but the closest thing to a messenger app Google has is Hangouts. Anyway, why do you like Google messages so much? IMO Google does a lot right but they suck at messaging. Handsent, also known as Now SMS, is pretty good as are several others. If you have Verizon Messages+ isn't bad either. Another alternative is getting a Google Voice account. I use that as my two step phone number for everything. Plus for those of us who don't want to pay for visual voicemail it's a great alternative, and again it ties into all of your Google services.
    I believe the OP was asking about Messages that's why I mentioned it.
    04-06-2019 10:46 AM
    Android Messages is the app I was referring. I have used it for several years and I like the desktop features it provides.
    04-06-2019 11:41 AM
    Android Messages is the app I was referring. I have used it for several years and I like the desktop features it provides.
    That's the one I posted
    Attached Thumbnails S10+ Google Messages app not receiving two factor sms-2802.jpg  
    04-06-2019 11:58 AM
    Lol, Google's messages is one of the best sms apps, imo.

On topic - I use messages and have no problem with 2 factor. Maybe clear cache from app or uninstall and re-install.
    04-06-2019 02:50 PM
    I believe the OP was asking about Messages that's why I mentioned it.
    I was directing that to the OP. Almost wrote that but thought it would be obvious. Sorry.
    04-06-2019 05:02 PM