Phone locking before Google assistant responds...

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried with smartlock off? I don't use that and don't have anything at hand that I could use to test whether that combination causes issues but since you mentioned it and you mentioned that the phone isn't actually locked when the screen goes to sleep I'm wondering if the two may be related??? Again related to your smartlock, are you actually talking to the device or are you talking to a Bluetooth device when this happens that just channels through your device?
Pretty sure smart lock has to be enabled for voice to unlock the phone.. I'm going to play with it a bit at work today maybe factory reset and see if that fixes it...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure smart lock has to be enabled for voice to unlock the phone.. I'm going to play with it a bit at work today maybe factory reset and see if that fixes it...
Yeah all the tests I did in the beginning of this thread were with the screen off, phone locked and without smart Lock enabled. It opened and responded just fine. Which is why I was wondering if turning it off would help you. Meanwhile factory resetting is pretty extreme but if you've weighed all your options And you feel that's what you need to do. Just post back so if anyone else finds this thread with the same question they'll have some direction.

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah all the tests I did in the beginning of this thread were with the screen off, phone locked and without smart Lock enabled. It opened and responded just fine. Which is why I was wondering if turning it off would help you. Meanwhile factory resetting is pretty extreme but if you've weighed all your options And you feel that's what you need to do. Just post back so if anyone else finds this thread with the same question they'll have some direction.
How does one disable smart lock? In my settings there is no like master off switch, should I just go in and remove all the items set to smart lock?

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
wow so I use to have this exact problem on my S8 (screen off > say ok Google > screen lights up > ask question)

the screen would simply die out and sometimes it would say the results while the screen timed out and sometimes it wouldn't (would cut off whatever the assistant was saying)

I never thought that was actually a problem to be honest I shut off voice to activate because I used bxActions to remap the button anyways

now I just tried with my s10e and it not only shows the results but it shows a lock at the top! what!?!?! I've never seen this before ahaha

I know this isn't much help but what I'm saying here is you're not alone. I definitely 100% had this kinda problem with my S8, my s10e is working fine tho without me doing anything to it so I have no idea what the deal is.

(could this be like the missing beep sound you sometimes have and dont have? I did something which I thought was crazy and wouldn't work to get the beep back on my s10e I installed Nova Launcher and allowed it her permssion somewhere in settings and the beep came back which makes 0 sense to me but it works and I don't even use Nova Launcher it just sits in my phone)

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Oddly enough yes sometimes I get the beep and sometimes I don't but that never really bothered me...

So yeah that could be another symptom...

My s8+, Notes 8, and my wife's Note 9 are all fine...

Super friggin weird!

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You aren't alone. My S10 does the same thing if I try to use "OK Google" to wake and ask a question from a locked screen. Have to unlock the phone to see the response. Noticed it a couple weeks ago and seemed odd to me, but hadn't looked for a fix yet.

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried disabling all smart lock except for voice, as without that enabled the phone didnt recognize when I said ok google... I'm at a loss I may open a ticket with Samsung will keep you all posted...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried disabling all smart lock except for voice, as without that enabled the phone didnt recognize when I said ok google... I'm at a loss I may open a ticket with Samsung will keep you all posted...
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. I was thinking of whatever keeps your phone unlocked when connected to a Bluetooth device... I like your style tho, really talking it to the masses. If this doesn't get you an answer it'll certainly help anyone coming behind you.

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. I was thinking of whatever keeps your phone unlocked when connected to a Bluetooth device... I like your style tho, really talking it to the masses. If this doesn't get you an answer it'll certainly help anyone coming behind you.
Thanks man I'm trying lol... I reached out to Samsung and of course they pushed it off as a Google issue so I need to open a ticket with them...

I will get this figured out!

-Corey

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
To those who have had this issue in the past was it a fresh new phone that had data copied from a different phone?

I upgraded from a note 8 and the rep. did a data copy from my old phone... wondering if that could cause an issue....

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Fixed!!!!! Lol...

So I inadvertently held down the home button and it opened the assistant...! I knew it looked different! What it's been opening with "ok google" was simply Google, not the assistant... Now its opening the assistant and is working properly...

Hope this post helps someone else in the future!

-Corey

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Fixed!!!!! Lol...

So I inadvertently held down the home button and it opened the assistant...! I knew it looked different! What it's been opening with "ok google" was simply Google, not the assistant... Now its opening the assistant and is working properly...

Hope this post helps someone else in the future!

-Corey
so by opening Google assistant via long press your issue was fixed? that's a new one lmao glad it fixed

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I noticed yesterday that mine was fixed after the new Verizon update installed. No changes other than that, but the results now appear and get read by the assistant, even if it was locked when initiated.

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed yesterday that mine was fixed after the new Verizon update installed. No changes other than that, but the results now appear and get read by the assistant, even if it was locked when initiated.
Awesome! I was hopeful that would fix mine but it didn't lol.. glad yours is working

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What I did was held down my home button until Google assistant popped up and after that Google assistant always responds now...

Give that a shot

That's an interesting turn of events. So no setting changes or anything like that, simply opening it was the thing that fixed it? Was it like you had to agree to terms and conditions, or like it wasn't enabled or anything? That seems odd but so did what you were describing so why not an odd fix. Posting back your solution means a lot to the community though.

coreyoli

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting turn of events. So no setting changes or anything like that, simply opening it was the thing that fixed it? Was it like you had to agree to terms and conditions, or like it wasn't enabled or anything? That seems odd but so did what you were describing so why not an odd fix. Posting back your solution means a lot to the community though.
No terms no nothing... If you watch the video of me having the issue you'll notice it's not the assistant that's responding just regular Google... opening Google assistant by holding down the home button somehow reminded my phone lol...

I don't know man strange for sure but works now lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital