Biometrics update rolling out

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
With the new software update I would consider re-registering new prints. Unless there is a change log to detail what do you update entails they could have done stuff like reduce the number of minutiae points in order for a successful match or they could have a changes on the registering of the fingerprints where they produced the level of depth in the 3D. For all you know they may actually have change from making a detailed 3D image to basically making a 2D image to reduce the complexity. That would be funny 2D image with an ultrasonic sensor.

It was from the Galaxy Store. After using my phone for a few hours, I don't see a huge improvement with the FPS rejection rate.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
With the new software update I would consider re-registering new prints. Unless there is a change log to detail what do you update entails they could have done stuff like reduce the number of minutiae points in order for a successful match or they could have a changes on the registering of the fingerprints where they produced the level of depth in the 3D. For all you know they may actually have change from making a detailed 3D image to basically making a 2D image to reduce the complexity. That would be funny 2D image with an ultrasonic sensor.

For all we know we don't know what they did if anything to improve the recognition.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It just pops up from the Galaxy store. If available then it should show by checking the Galaxy store too.. The update is awesome. Unlocking is faster than before and I dont see the dreaded No Match message often.. Earlier it was like 50 - 50 chance of unlocking.. Now I would say its more than 90%. The one aspect I hated is fixed now. :)

If you are on auto update will you get a notification?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure.. I had turned off auto updates.. If you had it ON may be its already updated in the background??
You will definitely get a notification even if it's auto update. Either way you can always check the fingerprint version in Settings - Biometric and security - Biometric preferences

The updated version should be 2.0.8.4

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked s10 on T-mo. Checked for software updates and downloaded+installed this morning. Huge improvement in finger print recognition.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked s10 on T-mo. Checked for software updates and downloaded+installed this morning. Huge improvement in finger print recognition.
There are two separate updates, one is the March security update which is rolling out as a system update and another is biometric update thru the Galaxy store. Just FYI they are two separate updates.

djlee0314

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Haven't received update for my TMO S10+ yet. For those that have received the update, are you re-registering your fingerprints to see the improvement or seeing the improvement with fingerprints already registered?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
There are two separate updates, one is the March security update which is rolling out as a system update and another is biometric update thru the Galaxy store. Just FYI they are two separate updates.

Really? I went into the Galaxy store app just now, went into three-dot menu, selected "all", and selected "apps". Samsung stuff like Smart Switch, Notes, Gear 360, Car Mode, etc. are listed but nothing like fingerprint or biometric or security. And this article on this very website shows a screenshot that looks like a regular Android system update screen: https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s10

I will say, the system update I downloaded today was something like 512 MB, and the screen shot from the article is showing a 6 MB update....sooo I dunno...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Really? I went into the Galaxy store app just now, went into three-dot menu, selected "all", and selected "apps". Samsung stuff like Smart Switch, Notes, Gear 360, Car Mode, etc. are listed but nothing like fingerprint or biometric or security. And this article on this very website shows a screenshot that looks like a regular Android system update screen: https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s10

I will say, the system update I downloaded today was something like 512 MB, and the screen shot from the article is showing a 6 MB update....sooo I dunno...

It hasn't rolled out to everyone yet