MMS problems on S10

Steeler94

Apr 13, 2019
Visit site
The issue is that I'm in a group chat of 5 members consisting on iPhones and 2 Android users. My texts are sent to the group chat fine, but most of the time, their texts get sent to me separately. It says subject, a time, and an expire date. I have to tap to download the message, and then it gets sent directly to the group chat and then i can read their text. It was having the same issue on the stock messaging app and android messages. My carrier is Sprint.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And the problem is with the senders. They can send a group message as individual texts, or as an MMS. If they choose MMS, that's what you receive. (iPhones don't use SMS apps, they use iMessage, so they may not have that choice, and all group messages get sent as MMS - I don't do fruit, so I don't know.)

Bottom line, it's not on your end.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
And the problem is with the senders. They can send a group message as individual texts, or as an MMS. If they choose MMS, that's what you receive. (iPhones don't use SMS apps, they use iMessage, so they may not have that choice, and all group messages get sent as MMS - I don't do fruit, so I don't know.)

Bottom line, it's not on your end.
It actually can can be on his end.

If you're not receiving it properly and you have to tap to download the message then there might be something wrong with your service. I'd suggest contacting Sprint to make sure your service is properly configured.

Also, what device did you come from before the S10. Did you do a restore of data which included that group chat? Another option is you may need to delete that group message and have someone send you another message.

If you came from an iPhone then you need to make sure you completely disassociate your number from all your iOS devices like iPad, MacBook, etc.

The only time it would be on their end is if you receive the message as just an individual sms message without the download option. That's usually a sign that they don't have group mms enabled. And it's typically from an Android device. Hope this helps.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Were on Sprint and my husband received a group message from his boss also sent to a few other co-workers. We've been having signal problems with Sprint since we got the phone and pictures don't send and it takes forever if they do send. But my husband kept getting the download button yesterday to download from this group chat and it would say expired and nothing would download. We really think it's a Sprint problem. I am not sure but their is supposed to be an update Tuesday.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Were on Sprint and my husband received a group message from his boss also sent to a few other co-workers. We've been having signal problems with Sprint since we got the phone and pictures don't send and it takes forever if they do send. But my husband kept getting the download button yesterday to download from this group chat and it would say expired and nothing would download. We really think it's a Sprint problem. I am not sure but their is supposed to be an update Tuesday.

I feel for you guys on Sprint with those issues.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
That's tough, probably enough to make me switch carriers.

I know we never had problems with our old phones his Note 8 or my 9 Plus. Their saying it's a problem they know about others are complaining too and Tuesday is supposed to be this update so will see.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I know we never had problems with our old phones his Note 8 or my 9 Plus. Their saying it's a problem they know about others are complaining too and Tuesday is supposed to be this update so will see.

Well I hope they get it back on track fast , keep us posted !

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I know if it's not fixed we're either going to have to switch phones but I think it's a Sprint thing. It took me too long to get my phone to begin with. One person did say he switched his out and it's a difference between night and day. I don't know but that is why we got unlocked when we got the Note 8's cause of maybe switching. But I am on such a good old grandfathered in plan with my 23% discount and am mostly on Wifi I am sticking with it. Until now of course it's so bad we may have to switch. Verizon told me can't have the unlimited plan and my work discount with Sprint I get it on the 1st main line total then each other line is like 19.99. Let's hope it gets fixed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's why I switched. O was on Sprint when I retired and moved. In NY, I got solid signal all over (of course). Here in Fayetteville, NC? Spotty, noisy in my house, nothing in my sister-in-law's house. AT&T? Solid, except for one part of town. TMobile? Solid all over and with the MVNO I'm using, saving a ton of money. -> Happy camper.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Here in KY it's Verizon and AT&T those 2 in no order at the top and then T-Mobile and Sprint are the lower 2. One day my friend was doing FB live video at a club downtown and I didn't have good signal and she has T-Mobile and had good signal depends where we are. But if I switch I really wanted Verizon before. Most people I know have Verizon and AT&T and a couple have T-Mobile and a few on Sprint. But it's mainly a worse problem since we got these phones. I send an MMS and it just spins and spins and takes forever to send.