If iMessages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It’s not panic - I simply think it’s a missed chance to make something great here, but instead it’s just lipstick on the pig.

That I can get on board with. If they were to "upgrade" it with encryption that would be a win win. I was simply looking at it as an "as is" product type of thing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, 1.0 had client-server encryption. In the latest version of the standard, the one that’s being pushed now, this has been removed, for whatever reason.

Ah see yeah now that I don't agree with. If the standard itself calls for it then yes -- if it didn't and that would be an upgrade on Googles part I would argue they wouldn't / shouldn't "have" to do it.

But obviously removing something is there is BS. So I can agree with you that is not cool.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ah see yeah now that I don't agree with. If the standard itself calls for it then yes -- if it didn't and that would be an upgrade on Googles part I would argue they wouldn't / shouldn't "have" to do it.

But obviously removing something is there is BS. So I can agree with you that is not cool.

I don’t know who exactly removed it and why - in those standard commissions, there are many opinions and interests clashing. Maybe the providers simply didn’t want to invest in the server infrastructure needed for decent encryption

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don’t know who exactly removed it and why - in those standard commissions, there are many opinions and interests clashing. Maybe the providers simply didn’t want to invest in the server infrastructure needed for decent encryption

That is definitely the question I would like to know. Sadly I am guessing we never will :(.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp and imessage types in realtime. Shows who's typing. When messages are received and sent. There is literally No lag... Samsung messenger lags. More so in grouptexts. WhatsApp is the better alternative. But not everyone is on it. Same goes with Line.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: If I Messages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

Even if they copied Apple it wouldn't be compatible with iMessage.
It can't be. iMessage is a proprietary protocol, owned by Apple, and they won't allow anyone else to use it, royalties or not.

Which is why the industry came out with RCS - it will have everything iMessage has and then some. (The projected plans call for phone-to-phone communication, with no server or carrier.) Bit, just as it took 10 years between the time SMS was invented and the time we saw it on a phone, RCS is going to take a while. (Not 10 years, I hope, but it won't be fully implemented by the end of 2019.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: If I Messages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

It can't be. iMessage is a proprietary protocol, owned by Apple, and they won't allow anyone else to use it, royalties or not.

Which is why the industry came out with RCS - it will have everything iMessage has and then some. (The projected plans call for phone-to-phone communication, with no server or carrier.) Bit, just as it took 10 years between the time SMS was invented and the time we saw it on a phone, RCS is going to take a while. (Not 10 years, I hope, but it won't be fully implemented by the end of 2019.)

But my point is no matter what they do there won't be a universal standard.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The industry - 3GPP and Open Mobile Alliance - is making it a universal standard. If Apple chooses to not follow the standard, that's Apple's fault. It's going to be open and non-proprietary, so it's Tim Cook's choice.

lparsons21

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site

According to this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Communication_Services it started around 2007 but it seems that it languished a bit until 2012. So we’re either 12 or 7 years into the product as of now. Using your invented to appearance on a phone for SMS, RCS is behind even that time frame by 2 years.

lparsons21

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
The industry - 3GPP and Open Mobile Alliance - is making it a universal standard. If Apple chooses to not follow the standard, that's Apple's fault. It's going to be open and non-proprietary, so it's Tim Cook's choice.

But if it ends up not being encrypted I’ll stick with apple.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
so, what will get a full rollout first, 5g or rcs?
2 way satellite texting for less than 1/2 the price of Apple or Samsung flagships..
Oops, already exists. Works anywhere in the world. 4 day use battery, ip67.
And as a side note, all of the car dealers, Subaru for instance with Starlink which claim to know where you are all the time if you need help. Lies. The GPS knows where you are and uses 4g lte for comm. No cell service, no one gets called. NO ONE is going to come help. Very misleading.

To conclude , RCS is already rolled out to Android, up to the carriers to flip on all the options.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The Verge have a great video explaining the entire thing and explain why Google aren't just replicating Apple's iMessage (skip to 5:11 for the explanation):

https://youtu.be/PCh-qRYMAKk?t=312

The person in the video asked Google why they don't just do what Apple is doing and they said because Andriod is open and they don't want to force everyone to use Google's own service for messages, but rather develop something for others to build on.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
OK I'm back. I downloaded the WhatsApp and opened it and then closed it. Later I opened it again and then closed it... It's worthless to me. It showed me 22 people from my contacts that have the app, that I could message but they are people I don't message... I can't add people, I can invite people, seriously...? All of this hype and hoopla are just that. You need to know people with the app for it to be of any use. I guess that's why iPhone users are so stuck on iMessage because it's about the only option they have. I don't know does Apple even have another messaging app? Anyway it was a complete waste for me and honestly if I have to convince (invite) someone else to get something I have to do what every SMS app I've ever had already did without the need to sway someone it's not worth it. Maybe overseas where ever people keep saying "everyone here is using it" it's not such a big deal but I just don't get it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK I'm back. I downloaded the WhatsApp and opened it and then closed it. Later I opened it again and then closed it... It's worthless to me. It showed me 22 people from my contacts that have the app, that I could message but they are people I don't message... I can't add people, I can invite people, seriously...? All of this hype and hoopla are just that. You need to know people with the app for it to be of any use. I guess that's why iPhone users are so stuck on iMessage because it's about the only option they have. I don't know does Apple even have another messaging app? Anyway it was a complete waste for me and honestly if I have to convince (invite) someone else to get something I have to do what every SMS app I've ever had already did without the need to sway someone it's not worth it. Maybe overseas where ever people keep saying "everyone here is using it" it's not such a big deal but I just don't get it.

Some people are able to get all their friends to use it so then it works out well. In other countries SMS/MMS used to (in some still does) cost a fortune so using an alternative makes sense for them. In the US since it is included everywhere most people don't even think about it really.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Any one truly believes the only reason some one uses iMessage is for vanity of blue bubbles is just lying to themselves haha, I mean is that even a thing? I have plenty of friends on both platforms and I don’t think any one cares about blue vs green.

Take all the extras out and just understand the reason why people on Apple like it is simple because it works and does just about everything they need without having to think about it.

If your on an Apple device you get extras, if you communicate with some one on Android it also just works minus the extras.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Any one truly believes the only reason some one uses iMessage is for vanity of blue bubbles is just lying to themselves haha, I mean is that even a thing? I have plenty of friends on both platforms and I don’t think any one cares about blue vs green.

Take all the extras out and just understand the reason why people on Apple like it is simple because it works and does just about everything they need without having to think about it.

If your on an Apple device you get extras, if you communicate with some one on Android it also just works minus the extras.

I know people that are "Blue Bubble Snobs", and have heard of many others.

It sounds stupid, but it is a thing ya know.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site

End-to-end encryption is preferable to client-server in this instance. Otherwise, companies would have access to unencrypted communications and/or governments could monitor the messages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze