With a Heavy Heart I Have to Stop Using My S10+ as My Daily Driver

knowledge775

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
For whatever reason my S10+ isn’t receiving all texts sent to me. This happened with my Note 9 as well. I suspect it has something to do with me leaving iMessages. I made sure I turned off iMessages before going to the S10+.

The last straw was my alarm didn’t go off as scheduled after a scheduled device restart this morning.

I absolutely love the S10+ and it’s the best device currently on the market. But I rely on it to perform the basics text and alarms. It failed me too many times...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For whatever reason my S10+ isn’t receiving all texts sent to me. This happened with my Note 9 as well. I suspect it has something to do with me leaving iMessages. I made sure I turned off iMessages before going to the S10+.

The last straw was my alarm didn’t go off as scheduled after a scheduled device restart this morning.

I absolutely love the S10+ and it’s the best device currently on the market. But I rely on it to perform the basics text and alarms. It failed me too many times...

Did you try the de register site as well ? (At the bottom) - https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Also how many people are you not getting texts from?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Amazing how Apple can screw up your text messaging when you depart from iPhone.

Well it technically isn't screwing up the texts as that is controlled by the carrier. iMessage registers your phone number to Apple servers. If you leave without toggling that off you are still registered so when iPhones go to text -- they lookup and use iMessage if it receives a "Yes" to your number being in the database.

Turning it off before leaving is the best way to get out of that database. If not then doing the simple 1 text de-registration method I linked in the 2nd post will do the trick. That will then remove the number from the database so iPhones will get a "No" back and default to regular carrier SMS texting.

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Well it technically isn't screwing up the texts as that is controlled by the carrier. iMessage registers your phone number to Apple servers. If you leave without toggling that off you are still registered so when iPhones go to text -- they lookup and use iMessage if it receives a "Yes" to your number being in the database.

Turning it off before leaving is the best way to get out of that database. If not then doing the simple 1 text de-registration method I linked in the 2nd post will do the trick. That will then remove the number from the database so iPhones will get a "No" back and default to regular carrier SMS texting.
I don't see this as a carrier issue, though it might be. I guess i feel you shouldn't have to deregister your number. Apple should recognize it's no longer an iPhone and then send the message along regular channels. The benefit of the number "registering" as an i message number with Apple is the messages can move quicker instead of checking each time if it's an iPhone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this as a carrier issue, though it might be. I guess i feel you shouldn't have to deregister your number. Apple should recognize it's no longer an iPhone and then send the message along regular channels. The benefit of the number "registering" as an i message number with Apple is the messages can move quicker instead of checking each time if it's an iPhone.

Well okay let's be fair. How is Apple going to tell your number is no longer an iPhone? They can't tell that from another persons phone. The only way they can is when you turn on iMessage via an iPhone or turn it off via an iPhone (or that link). They can't somehow guess the other number on the other side is no longer in an iPhone since they aren't the carriers themselves. If they were the carrier themselves they could see that information via the IMEI.

Remember the check isn't happening from the perosn's phone to the other person's phone. It can't do that. It can only check "did this number get registered via an iPhone for iMessage?" via a database.

So sadly your suggestion isn't a possibility.

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Well okay let's be fair. How is Apple going to tell your number is no longer an iPhone? They can't tell that from another persons phone. The only way they can is when you turn on iMessage via an iPhone or turn it off via an iPhone (or that link). They can't somehow guess the other number on the other side is no longer in an iPhone since they aren't the carriers themselves. If they were the carrier themselves they could see that information via the IMEI.

Remember the check isn't happening from the perosn's phone to the other person's phone. It can't do that. It can only check "did this number get registered via an iPhone for iMessage?" via a database.

So sadly your suggestion isn't a possibility.
Maybe i was unclear. I guess i feel it should never register/lock on to Apple. They should have to check each time if it's an iPhone. If not it should go the regular route. But as i mentioned that would delay things both for iMessage and for regular texts if there system has to check each outgoing message.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe i was unclear. I guess i feel it should never register/lock on to Apple. They should have to check each time if it's an iPhone. If not it should go the regular route. But as i mentioned that would delay things both for iMessage and for regular texts if there system has to check each outgoing message.

Again your suggestion is not possible. How do you suggest they check if the other side is an iPhone?

They could only know this information by getting the other phones IMEI and there is NO chance a carrier is going to allow iPhones to "query" any phone on the network to check that. That would be horrid.

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I dunno. I guess they look to see if the recipient phone is actively connected to iMessage. If it isn't it goes regular text.

Maybe they need a system where iMessage shows it's connected to Apple.

iMessage is a great system for those in the Apple world. For those that aren't, it seems to cause occasional problems.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I dunno. I guess they look to see if the recipient phone is actively connected to iMessage. If it isn't it goes regular text.

Maybe they need a system where iMessage shows it's connected to Apple.

iMessage is a great system for those in the Apple world. For those that aren't, it seems to cause occasional problems.

How would they have a system to show it is connected to Apple? You do realize keeping a full on alive connection to Apple at ALL times to just check this one thing would not only increase data usage it would be a big strain on networks and whatnot? That would be bad for carrier and for users in terms of battery life and everything if it had to constantly ping every second of the day.

I would say that would be a lose / lose. It isn't hard to turn off iMessage when you leave iPhone and if you forget to you literally go to that link I linked, put your number in, put in the code from the text, and you are done. 1 min tops to de-register? Also don't forget if a user does go to iPhone and simply turns off iMessage they will never register and therefor always be SMS only.

Your other suggestions would either harm user experience in terms of usability or they simply aren't possible since Apple can't just somehow find out if a number is an iPhone or not since they aren't the carriers.

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I agree that it would harm user experience, and increase data, etc, etc.

I agree it isn't difficult to deregister for ppl like you and i and others on the forum. For the average user.....a lot more difficult. Most Apple users just think iMessage is magic and if they left Apple they wouldn't have a clue about deregistering it. It would wreak havoc on their text messages until they figured it out.

I'm confident countless ppl who have switched from Apple to Android have spent time with tech support to figure out the problem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it would harm user experience, and increase data, etc, etc.

I agree it isn't difficult to deregister for ppl like you and i and others on the forum. For the average user.....a lot more difficult. Most Apple users just think iMessage is magic and if they left Apple they wouldn't have a clue about deregistering it. It would wreak havoc on their text messages until they figured it out.

I'm confident countless ppl who have switched from Apple to Android have spent time with tech support to figure out the problem.

I'm sure they contacted Apple or their carrier and it got fixed.

I'm all for making suggestions to make things easier for users but saying something like Apple should just know what number is on what phone just isn't in the realm of possibility if you understand how carriers and IMEI numbers function on the networks.

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure they contacted Apple or their carrier and it got fixed.

I'm all for making suggestions to make things easier for users but saying something like Apple should just know what number is on what phone just isn't in the realm of possibility if you understand how carriers and IMEI numbers function on the networks.

I'm sure they all get it fixed eventually. But unfortunately, like the op, not before prettily missing critical text messages.

I trust you are correct that it is not possible for Apple to know what numbers are on what phone. There are ways to eliminate the deregestering requirement, however, as you indicated that would take away from user experience for Apple users and increase data usage and tie up bandwidth, etc. Or maybe Apple opens up iMessage to all phones (i dunno if that's possible). Either way, nobody wants to reduce user experience for Apple so deregestering remains the solution.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
r maybe Apple opens up iMessage to all phones (i dunno if that's possible). Either way, nobody wants to reduce user experience for Apple so deregestering remains the solution.

That I wish they would. I think it is highly doubtful but that would be wonderful if they would.