How long does your phone battery go from 100% to 99%

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
My phone has great battery life, so it's not a big deal, but this is the fastest phone I've had dropping from 100% fully charged to 99%. It usually takes 4 minutes with screen on nonstop, but it takes around 6 minutes without even messing with it at all after unplugging. My s9+, and previous gens would take over 20 minutes before it dropped its first percent down without touching the phone. I'm just curious if it's the same with y'all, or if the AOD has to do with it.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My phone has great battery life, so it's not a big deal, but this is the fastest phone I've had dropping from 100% fully charged to 99%. It usually takes 4 minutes with screen on nonstop, but it takes around 6 minutes without even messing with it at all after unplugging. My s9+, and previous gens would take over 20 minutes before it dropped its first percent down without touching the phone. I'm just curious if it's the same with y'all, or if the AOD has to do with it.

Erm from 100% to 96% takes 30mins...with wifi and no AOD...

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Yep, mine takes about that amount of time, drives me bloody crackers!

Doesn't seem to affect anything though, I can get up to two days between charges with around 6-8 hours SOT, so it clearly doesn't affect it!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
From 100% to 99%? I don't know, maybe 5 or so minutes? Give or take a minute or two?

If your previous phones would take 20 mins to drop 1%, I'd imagine it wasn't calculating the battery % correctly. I mean if 20 min screen time is 1% drop, then *if it were accurate* then it should take 99 x 1% drops at 20 min screen time per 1% drop.

Quick maths:
99 x 20 mins = 2,000 minutes total screen time
2,000 minutes / 60 minutes = 33.33 hours screen on time

Yeah - no chance your previous phone had 33 hours screen on time. So it just wasn't calculating the initial 1% drop accurately. The S10 is probably calculating it correctly now.

With your S10 at 4 minutes for a 1% drop:

99 x 4 minutes = 396 minutes total screen time
396 minutes / 60 minutes = 6.6 hours screen on time

Much more reasonable screen on time.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
20 minutes with the screen not being turned on at all. If I had the screen on it would take about 4 or 5 minutes.
From 100% to 99%? I don't know, maybe 5 or so minutes? Give or take a minute or two?

If your previous phones would take 20 mins to drop 1%, I'd imagine it wasn't calculating the battery % correctly. I mean if 20 min screen time is 1% drop, then *if it were accurate* then it should take 99 x 1% drops at 20 min screen time per 1% drop.

Quick maths:
99 x 20 mins = 2,000 minutes total screen time
2,000 minutes / 60 minutes = 33.33 hours screen on time

Yeah - no chance your previous phone had 33 hours screen on time. So it just wasn't calculating the initial 1% drop accurately. The S10 is probably calculating it correctly now.

With your S10 at 4 minutes for a 1% drop:

99 x 4 minutes = 396 minutes total screen time
396 minutes / 60 minutes = 6.6 hours screen on time

Much more reasonable screen on time.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I've totally noticed this too. I get great battery life but that first one percent drops within what seems to be minutes. I won't even use the screen and in the short walk to the train I'll take my phone out and it reads 99%. My LG V30 stood at 100% for noticeably longer. Again though, I get great battery life so it's not really a concern, more a curiosity.

Rev.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you unplug the charger the instant the phone reaches 100%, it will drop to 99% (or even 98%) before you've finished removing the plug. (That's because the phone indicates "battery charge" by the voltage on the battery, and to charge the battery the charger has to put more voltage on the battery than a fully charged battery - that's how electricity works.) So at the instant the phone says 100%, the battery is probably charged to 99% or 98%.

(I go along with Mooncatt - I have the phone set to stop charging at 95%.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you unplug the charger the instant the phone reaches 100%, it will drop to 99% (or even 98%) before you've finished removing the plug. (That's because the phone indicates "battery charge" by the voltage on the battery, and to charge the battery the charger has to put more voltage on the battery than a fully charged battery - that's how electricity works.) So at the instant the phone says 100%, the battery is probably charged to 99% or 98%.

(I go along with Mooncatt - I have the phone set to stop charging at 95%.)

That's the other point I always make.

Which 100 % are we talking about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith