Those that upgraded from the Note 9: Any regrets?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I ask this because I'm trying to decide between the two. I have already bought a screen protector and an OtterBox Defender Pro for the S10+, but every time I visit a local store and compare the two phones, I still wonder if I'd be missing out on the Note over the S10+. By the time I do end up purchasing an upgrade to my 6P, the S10+ will no doubt be cheaper, and the Note 9 cheaper still. Obviously, the Note 10 is going to be *WAY* out of my price range unless I wait until Spring 2020.

I've never owned a Note, so I don't know what it's like to miss the S-Pen. I consider myself a basic user, in that I don't do anything graphics intensive like gaming or benchmarking, and I only take point-and-shoot photos. All I really do is talk, text, stream my music with GPM, watch YouTube videos and visit Reddit and other forums. I probably wouldn't use the S-Pen all that often, but isn't it better to have the S-Pen and not use it, than to need it and not have it? It does seem like the better bang-for-your-buck buy.

The issue is I'd like to be as future-proof as possible. I'm not concerned about 5G at this point, since just like early 4G LTE, 5G will be a huge battery hog and be initially expensive to use the service. I plan to keep whatever I get for three years, until those kinks are worked out.

So, those that have come from the Note 9, have you any regrets? Does the fingerprint scanner on the S10+ still suck after the update? How do you find the battery life between the two, in terms of standby time? Since I'm a lighter user, I'm concerned with how much battery drain occurs per hour, as well as overnight when not in use. I know it's subjective, but I'd appreciate your feedback and experiences. Thanks in advance!

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
No regrets at all. The S10 Plus is a way better device than the Note 9. Battery life is a lot better also. The FPS still sucks somewhat but is much improved after that latest update. The S-Pen is the main attraction of the Note 9 but found myself using it very little. I've had every note device since the Note 2. The Note 10 will be interesting but I'm sticking with the S10 plus.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Read this rumor - About the only reason I can see to wait for a reasonable price on the Note would be if you really, really like the S-Pen (I do - when I left Notes, I bought stili). Otherwise (4 cameras, but I think phone manufacturers are getting ridiculous - one with a large zoom range and one, maybe monochrome, with a large dynamic range and great light sensitivity is enough) there's not much difference. Close to the same size, Snapdragon 855 (probably running at the same speed), probably the same RAM/storage mix. I think the S-Pen is going to be the only difference.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
First let me say I still have my Note 9. S10+ is very nice however I believe I will let it go, FPS is not that great and even on Verizon IMO the 9 has better Lte connection. Now I will keep the S10e because its pocket size, and flat screen. So with the 9, S10+ and the S10e, the S10+ will soon leave my collection. Thats how I will roll.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.

I was just saying to myself I missed the S-Pen. LOL

I even posted how I didn't really wanna sell my Note 9 but had to if I wanted the S10+.

I actually wanted to sell my Huawei P20 Pro but the Note had a higher resale and more interest.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Still have my Note 9, will either wait for the Note 10 or 11 that will be a upgrade for me.
My s10+ is a small upgrade from my s9+ but still have that also.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Still have my Note 9, will either wait for the Note 10 or 11 that will be a upgrade for me.
My s10+ is a small upgrade from my s9+ but still have that also.

How's the standby time on your Note 9, compared to your S10+? I hear that One UI plays nicer with the SD 855 as opposed to the 845. Why, I'm not sure, but that's what I hear.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How's the standby time on your Note 9, compared to your S10+? I hear that One UI plays nicer with the SD 855 as opposed to the 845. Why, I'm not sure, but that's what I hear.
They are about same , StandBy/SOT
The SD855 7nm vs 845 is faster , just dont think it saves much battery like I thought because they about even maybe because they are close in battery 4100mah vs 4000mah

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed its hard to tell and I really dont see a big difference in speed/lag between the Note 9 and the S10+ however the battery in the 9 at least for me is better. I am sure the S10+ will become seasoned in a short time. The Note 9 is a beast and even today is hard to beat for the money and or performance. Thats why I will never get rid of this phone just like a clasic muscle car, I believe the Note 9 will be around for awhile. JMO!

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
No regrets here. And I have T-Mobile JOD, so if I did have regrets I could pay $85 and downgrade back to the Note 9.

Yeah, having an S-Pen is pretty great, but that's about the only thing I miss. With the S10+ I've got a better display, a better processor for a faster experience, a screen with basically no bezel, far superior rear and front facing cameras (e.g. a dual selfie cam), and most importantly wireless PowerShare. That last bit is important because I can now charge my Galaxy Watch without having to cart around an extra charger. If your choice is between the S10+ and the Note 9, I'd commend the S10+ to you. Both phones are excellent, but the S10+ is better. Just my opinion.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
OP, for what you wrote in your OP, I would suggest the S10+. Your listed usage suggests you have no need for the S pen. You will get the same size screen as the note 9 with a smaller overall size of the phone with the smaller bezels. I have both, and I'm not missing the note 9, but then again the S Pen was not a major thing for me. It really does boil down to if you need the S Pen. If it was me, the S Pen is not needed, you don't want to spend the hefty rumored price for the note 10, then I would go with the S 10 series. If you can wait, I might suggest waiting for the note 10 to be announced and pricing. If anything, the S 10 series will lower in price more by then.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I ask this because I'm trying to decide between the two. I have already bought a screen protector and an OtterBox Defender Pro for the S10+, but every time I visit a local store and compare the two phones, I still wonder if I'd be missing out on the Note over the S10+. By the time I do end up purchasing an upgrade to my 6P, the S10+ will no doubt be cheaper, and the Note 9 cheaper still. Obviously, the Note 10 is going to be *WAY* out of my price range unless I wait until Spring 2020.

I've never owned a Note, so I don't know what it's like to miss the S-Pen. I consider myself a basic user, in that I don't do anything graphics intensive like gaming or benchmarking, and I only take point-and-shoot photos. All I really do is talk, text, stream my music with GPM, watch YouTube videos and visit Reddit and other forums. I probably wouldn't use the S-Pen all that often, but isn't it better to have the S-Pen and not use it, than to need it and not have it? It does seem like the better bang-for-your-buck buy.

The issue is I'd like to be as future-proof as possible. I'm not concerned about 5G at this point, since just like early 4G LTE, 5G will be a huge battery hog and be initially expensive to use the service. I plan to keep whatever I get for three years, until those kinks are worked out.

So, those that have come from the Note 9, have you any regrets? Does the fingerprint scanner on the S10+ still suck after the update? How do you find the battery life between the two, in terms of standby time? Since I'm a lighter user, I'm concerned with how much battery drain occurs per hour, as well as overnight when not in use. I know it's subjective, but I'd appreciate your feedback and experiences. Thanks in advance!

well im not an ex Note 9 user but from a Mate 20 Pro and just 3 points which makes me think twice is the camera,super fast charging and battery life.other than that my S10 Plus is doing better.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't need an Spen....I've got my Crayola Big Box 64 with built in sharpener. I'm good....

Attachments

• 4018.jpg
    4018.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 76

twisted_mind

May 7, 2017
Visit site
The wife upgraded from note 9 to the regular 10 and its a world of difference. She couldn't be any happier. I myself got the 10+ but envy the regular 10 for the sheer size and one-handedness. She loves it. The battery on the note 9 wasn't anything spectacular for her. Last few times I've asked, she ends a normal day at around 30% on the 10. And hasn't once complained about the 3500mah battery in the 10 compared to the 4000mah in the Note 9. The note 9 like with most people was wayy too huge for her. And heavy. She even dropped and shattered the screen and we had to get the entire chassis with screen replaced officially at cost.

twisted_mind

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I must add she doesn't miss the spen one bit. We used the spen a lot on trips for selfies but the size of the 10 negates that not fully but to a great degree.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I still love my Note 9 still. The only thing I don't like about my S10+ is it has that bug where the AOD never turns off when in my pocket or face down. I can lay my S9+ and Note 9 face down and the AOD turns off, S10+ stays on no matter what.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
OP, for what you wrote in your OP, I would suggest the S10+. Your listed usage suggests you have no need for the S pen. You will get the same size screen as the note 9 with a smaller overall size of the phone with the smaller bezels. I have both, and I'm not missing the note 9, but then again the S Pen was not a major thing for me. It really does boil down to if you need the S Pen. If it was me, the S Pen is not needed, you don't want to spend the hefty rumored price for the note 10, then I would go with the S 10 series. If you can wait, I might suggest waiting for the note 10 to be announced and pricing. If anything, the S 10 series will lower in price more by then.

Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit that the S10+ is easier to hold, while the squared off Note requires a bit of maneuvering as a female with small hands. I also tend to drop my phones, so the rounded edges might help some with grip.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
1. Don't buy Otterbox, go for Spigen or Unicorn Beetle if you need a rugged case.

2. I would suggest that you look thoroughly through the "improvements" of the S10. I have, which is why I will never buy one.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Don't buy Otterbox, go for Spigen or Unicorn Beetle if you need a rugged case.

2. I would suggest that you look thoroughly through the "improvements" of the S10. I have, which is why I will never buy one.
Improvements is a loose term. What you think are minimal improvements, others think are great improvements. The OP is coming from a older phone, so to them the improvements of either note 9 or S10 will be a decent improvement.

So, OP,... Did you decide on one yet, or going to wait for the note 10 to be announced for official pricing and specs? Just curious what you decided.