Navigation bar or gestures?

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
What's everyone using? The navigation bar or the swipe gestures? I've been using the gestures for the most part, but I've been getting annoyed at their inconsistency. I just switched back to the navigation bar so we'll see.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What's everyone using? The navigation bar or the swipe gestures? I've been using the gestures for the most part, but I've been getting annoyed at their inconsistency. I just switched back to the navigation bar so we'll see.

NavBar + GoodLock...way more efficiency if you ask me.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Navigation bar here. I had tried the gestures in One UI on the Note 9 and just couldn't get used to them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Gesture all the way. Navigation bar is waste of space. I used One Hand gestures with Samsung gestures. Love it.
I keep going back to edge gestures. It seems to work better, Samsung's one hand gestures diagonal swipe doesn't seem to work as well, specially the long diagonal swipes.

Edge gestures has a lot more customization.

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's 2019 --- Gestures all the way.
If you don't like Samsung's' there are third party gesture apps that work great! (I like Gesture Control, but everyone is different)

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The amount of screen space added by using gestures is so insignificant that it's not even worth mentioning. You don't even look at that part of the screen. Samsung's gestures as implemented also make it so you're putting in more effort to navigate—you're stretching your thumb further and swiping instead of tapping. It's literally more work for an insignificant amount of extra screen space.

So nav bar here.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The amount of screen space added by using gestures is so insignificant that it's not even worth mentioning. You don't even look at that part of the screen. Samsung's gestures as implemented also make it so you're putting in more effort to navigate—you're stretching your thumb further and swiping instead of tapping. It's literally more work for an insignificant amount of extra screen space.

So nav bar here.

true enough,i use navbar because im OCD and dont want long smudges on my phone...

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

So nav bar here.
Bingo. I couldn't have said it better myself. It's actually less convenient to use the Samsung gestures imo.

There are some apps that I like to back all of the way out of. Sometimes 2-3 taps or more. Swiping that many times takes more time and effort imo.

In short, nav buttons for me!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using gestures. The HTC U12+ buttons would sink below the screen, I've never even tried it on my S10+ to see how they work because I've been doing gestures right out of the box, so I would have to swipe up to get the buttons to appear and then touch the one I wanted. This saves me the extra step and I'm just as happy with it as I was with buttons. I had to rearrange them to match what I'm used to though, I mean who puts the multi tasking button on the left side, SMH. Otherwise I just swipe and go. Do the Samsung buttons sink into the bottom of the screen to hide while in apps or browsing?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm using gestures. The HTC U12+ buttons would sink below the screen, I've never even tried it on my S10+ to see how they work because I've been doing gestures right out of the box, so I would have to swipe up to get the buttons to appear and then touch the one I wanted. This saves me the extra step and I'm just as happy with it as I was with buttons. I had to rearrange them to match what I'm used to though, I mean who puts the multi tasking button on the left side, SMH. Otherwise I just swipe and go. Do the Samsung buttons sink into the bottom of the screen to hide while in apps or browsing?

no but gestures has 3 options.which 1 of them shows nothing.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No hints. I think I've been an Android user long enough to know where the buttons should be, besides if I don't want the buttons I don't want those silly lines. Hahahaha.

the 1st option literally has nothing there.i tried it for a few hours and just didnt feel right -_-