Poor camera picture quality

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having poor picture quality? Supposedly the S10 camera was superior to all the other cellphones out there. But I beg to differ. Pictures looks good. But when you zoom in, the pics gets super pixelated...

I feel like the s7 was far better than the S10. Does anyone agree? If not, does anyone have any advice on the camera settings to help with the poor picture quality?

Attached are two pictures. The one with my bicycle is shot with the S10+

The picture of ocean in Thailand was shot with my s7...

None of the pictures have any filters. Shot them as is.

Attachments

• 11640.jpg
    11640.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 71

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: poor camera picture quality

I don't know where you got the impression that the S10 camera is superior to all the others, however it is pretty good based in my results.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Also, remember that pictures get compressed when uploaded, so if you really want to compare you'll need to upload this to a sharing site (like Drive or Samsung's temporary file share).

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I don't know where you got the impression that the S10 camera is superior to all the others, however it is pretty good based in my results.

It was based on YouTubers during prelaunch... MKHD and others says it's a solid camera. Giving Apple a run for it's money.

But all my pics looks good. But until you zoom in, it gets blurry. I never had that issue with the s7...

Unless my settings are off? I tried everything... But to no avail...

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Also, remember that pictures get compressed when uploaded, so if you really want to compare you'll need to upload this to a sharing site (like Drive or Samsung's temporary file share).

Yup. I know about pics/quality diminishes when it's uploaded... But even if you zoom in the pic after you taken a picture (from your gallery)... The pics are blurry...

I also tried shooting with all the other aspect ratios.. full, 9:16, 3:4, 1:1...

With the s7, I believe 3:4 offers the highest megapixel (12mp)? But on the s10, it doesn't really say. So I assume it's shooting at 12mp across the board? I could definitely be wrong...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yup. I know about pics/quality diminishes when it's uploaded... But even if you zoom in the pic after you taken a picture (from your gallery)... The pics are blurry... I never had that issue with the s7...

We can't see the issue on our end because the pictures are already compressed and blurry/pixelated to begin with...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It was based on YouTubers during prelaunch... MKHD and others says it's a solid camera. Giving Apple a run for it's money.

But all my pics looks good. But until you zoom in, it gets blurry. I never had that issue with the s7...

Unless my settings are off? I tried everything... But to no avail...

It is a solid camera but it has not earned the distinction of being the best out there. It can certainly go toe to toe with the iPhone, however iPhone is no longer the king.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

We can't see the issue on our end because the pictures are already compressed and blurry/pixelated to begin with...

Understood. Just out if curiosity.. if you go into your gallery, zoom into any pics that you may have.... Do you have any pixelated issue?

When I do, I get a lot of "noise". As if I was using a dslr, shooting with a high ISO.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Understood. Just out if curiosity.. if you go into your gallery, zoom into any pics that you may have.... Do you have any pixelated issue?

When I do, I get a lot of "noise". As if I was using a dslr, shooting with a high ISO.

I'm not getting heavy pixelation

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I never liked zoom in any phone camera I've used , seems picture quality diminishes.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Is anyone having poor picture quality? Supposedly the S10 camera was superior to all the other cellphones out there. But I beg to differ. Pictures looks good. But when you zoom in, the pics gets super pixelated...

I feel like the s7 was far better than the S10. Does anyone agree? If not, does anyone have any advice on the camera settings to help with the poor picture quality?

Attached are two pictures. The one with my bicycle is shot with the S10+

The picture of ocean in Thailand was shot with my s7...

None of the pictures have any filters. Shot them as is.

Hmmm.. Im sure if you took the same photo with the S7 and S10 side by side the S10 would be better... Because sensors react differently in different situations.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Out of curiosity. What screen mode and acreen resolution are you using?

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity. What screen mode and acreen resolution are you using?

I was using FULL. Assuming FULL would offer max megabytes... Maybe it doesn't??

Also with the s7, different aspect ratios offers different megabytes options. The s10 doesn't state it anymore... So I'm not sure which aspect ratio offers the highest megabytes

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was using FULL. Assuming FULL would offer max megabytes... Maybe it doesn't??

Also with the s7, different aspect ratios offers different megabytes options. The s10 doesn't state it anymore... So I'm not sure which aspect ratio offers the highest megabytes

3:4 is the native resolution for the sensor and photos are apx 4MB. Full drops down to apx 2.5MB

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I never liked zoom in any phone camera I've used , seems picture quality diminishes.
If it's digital zoom, all the phone is doing is taking a small part of the picture and enlarging it to full size - that pixelates, no matter how good the camera (and I'm talking Hasselblad good). If it's optical zoom, that has nothing to do with pixelation, the lens zooms in. (It could blur if the lens is less than almost perfect, but lenses don't pixelate.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

If it's digital zoom, all the phone is doing is taking a small part of the picture and enlarging it to full size - that pixelates, no matter how good the camera (and I'm talking Hasselblad good). If it's optical zoom, that has nothing to do with pixelation, the lens zooms in. (It could blur if the lens is less than almost perfect, but lenses don't pixelate.)
No I'm talking about digital zoom .

heatherburks

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

First off use 3:4 Full isn't the full megapixels. Confusing I know. Second the s10 looks better here in my opinion. I've had the s7 and the s10. The s10 is much better. The s7 over saturated and had major limitations, especially in high dynamic range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol