Have participated in the Samsung Trade-in Program 6 times now...

• S7 > S8
    • S8 > S9
    • S9 > S10

We (my wife and I) have each done this for our phones successfully 5 times.

This last one for the S9 > S10 trade in came back as 'no phone in return' and they are charging us $550.

I *thought* I did everything right. Packed the phone myself in bubble wrap, dropped it off at FedEX personally AND got a receipt.

Obviously someone stole the phone out of the box and resealed it and let it get to Samsung.

What recourse do I have here?

Worst case, can I call Verizon and get the old IMEI and have the phone shut down/tracked?

The trade in program obviously has some flaws with a very obvious label indicating that this is a trade in.

Don't need to look in the rear view mirror about what I should have done, just looking for ideas advice about what I can do now.

Thanks all.
    04-26-2019 08:11 AM
    I think you will have to take it up with FedEx if Samsung is saying nothing was in the box.
    04-26-2019 08:22 AM
    If that phone was stolen and if it's already activated, it's gone. You can't put it on the stolen, lost list if it's activated on an account.

You can try to go after it, but you will have to go thru the police and they will have to go to Verizon and get it's location and all the other good stuff. Verizon won't do anything without legal process thru the police. As far as Verizon is concerned if it's activated in another account, you sold it. They can't just shut it off anymore
    04-26-2019 08:31 AM
    This sounds like a mess. Was there insurance on the package?

When using FedEx I always make sure there is full insurance on the package. I had a $1,500. item go missing with FedEx and thankfully I had full insurance coverage.
    04-26-2019 11:35 AM
    This sounds like a mess. Was there insurance on the package?

When using FedEx I always make sure there is full insurance on the package. I had a $1,500. item go missing with FedEx and thankfully I had full insurance coverage.
    No insurance, but trust me if I ever do the Samsung trade in deal again, I will get it.

UPDATE - wife contacted Samsung after they charged out credit card and showed them the FedEx tracking info that showed the weight of a phone in it upon drop off - the box they claimed arrived to them empty - and said we did our part. Your system is off and you need to fix it somehow with a drop off at a carrier, or providing insurance, etc. Threatened BBB and they said they would refund the $550 in 3-5 business days.

Not counting our chickens yet, but we did get a transcript of the chat emailed to her.

We'll see what happens by next Friday.
    DWS44 likes this.
    04-26-2019 12:09 PM
    I hope you get your refund. By the way what is BBB?
    04-26-2019 12:35 PM
    Better Business Bureau
    04-26-2019 01:29 PM
    Didn't you put insurance on it when you shipped?
    04-26-2019 01:31 PM
    Better Business Bureau and it's a complete waste of time.
    04-26-2019 02:00 PM
    You have $100 in insurance coverage by default with FedEx.
    04-26-2019 03:14 PM
    Since Samsung paid Fedex and you are just handing over, can you even put insurance on it. Samsung should have insurance on them since it is there label..account.
    04-27-2019 02:24 PM
    Since Samsung paid Fedex and you are just handing over, can you even put insurance on it. Samsung should have insurance on them since it is there label..account.
    I don't know. I forgot Samsung paid the shipping. Samsung should have the package insured for the trade in amount at least. For some reason I overlooked that.
    04-27-2019 04:49 PM