Samsung Universe, How in are you?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Samsung and I've been trolling the S10/S10+ threads for awhile now and I've seen that many like the Samsung browser and Samsung Messages. I tried the browser and preferred Chrome but I haven't defaulted to it yet, still giving Sammy a chance. I just switched to the Messages, we'll see how it goes. Those are kind of light things. Samsung seems to want to be as involved as Google in a lot of things, and it took me a long time to go down the Google hole. Now I'm being faced with the rabbit hole that is Samsung and I wanted to know how deep are you? What do you like or hate about it?

Samsung Pay vs Google Pay

Samsung Members vs Google + (I don't even know if this still exists)

Galaxy Store vs Play Store

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password

Samsung Contacts vs Google Contacts

Bixby vs Google Assistant

Samsung Cloud vs Google Drive

Samsung Backup vs Google Backup

Samsung Browser vs Chrome

Samsung Messages vs Hangouts or Google Messages

About the only thing missing is email...? So are you more Left side, Right side or both sides?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm new to Samsung and I've been trolling the S10/S10+ threads for awhile now and I've seen that many like the Samsung browser and Samsung Messages. I tried the browser and preferred Chrome but I haven't defaulted to it yet, still giving Sammy a chance. I just switched to the Messages, we'll see how it goes. Those are kind of light things. Samsung seems to want to be as involved as Google in a lot of things, and it took me a long time to go down the Google hole. Now I'm being faced with the rabbit hole that is Samsung and I wanted to know how deep are you? What do you like or hate about it?

About the only thing missing is email...? So are you more Left side, Right side or both sides?
Both sides ..

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What keeps me on Samsung phones is that I actually prefer Samsung apps over Google apps. Almost all of them in fact. I won't go into all the details since I don't want to derail this thread with a war. It's all personal preference. And yes, Google+ is dead.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What keeps me on Samsung phones is that I actually prefer Samsung apps over Google apps. Almost all of them in fact. I won't go into all the details since I don't want to derail this thread with a war. It's all personal preference. And yes, Google+ is dead.
So other than Gmail and Google search you're only doing Samsung? How long has it been since you left Google? Another issue I have with Samsung on some things is not only are they trying to be Google in some ways they're taking after Apple in others, i.e. the fees. They seem to charge for everything or give you a little taste but if you want more show us the cash.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use mainly Samsung stock apps except for Chrome and Gmail. They work well and they are tied to my Google accounts for syncing. I do use Samsung Pay over Google pay. I also use Google Photos to backup my photos and turn off the Samsung Photo backup. I use mixed devices (iPad, iPhone and a Microsoft Surface Pro) so Chrome, GDrive and Google Photos works best for that scenario. I also turn the photo backup option off on my Apple devices and rely on Google on those. The only reason why I use gmail instead of Samsung's email app is because of calendar invites. Samsungs email app requires an extra step to accept or deny a calendar invite. I use both Google and Samsung for my Backup and Restore of the rest of the device. Galaxy Store only for Samsung Apps and my smartwatch. On my Apple devices I basically use all Google Apps with the exception of iMessage of course. So I'm pretty much mainly Google services for email, contacts, calendar, docs and photo sync as it's the best for Multi-platform.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Pay vs Google Pay - Samsung Pay

Samsung Members vs Google + (I don't even know if this still exists) - Neither

Galaxy Store vs Play Store - Google Play Store

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password - Both

Samsung Contacts vs Google Contacts - Samsung Contacts EDIT: I use the Samsung contact/dialer but for backing up my phone numbers I use Google.

Bixby vs Google Assistant - Both

Samsung Cloud vs Google Drive - Google Drive for documents...Samsung Cloud for backups of all data

Samsung Backup vs Google Backup - Samsung Backup

Samsung Browser vs Chrome - Both

Samsung Messages vs Hangouts or Google Messages - Samsung Messages until Google Messages works w/RCS. Hangouts sometimes w/my son

Last edited:

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
So other than Gmail and Google search you're only doing Samsung? How long has it been since you left Google? Another issue I have with Samsung on some things is not only are they trying to be Google in some ways they're taking after Apple in others, i.e. the fees. They seem to charge for everything or give you a little taste but if you want more show us the cash.
I never really "left" Google. I've had a Nexus and Pixel phones a few times but never stuck with them.

I still to this day use my Hotmail email address as my primary, so I only use Gmail for other things like promo emails and stuff. So I primarily use the Samsung email app to handle my Hotmail address. I rarely use Gmail.

I use the Samsung SMS app exclusively. I use SwiftKey for my keyboard, so neither Google or Samsung for that. I use Google Photos and the Samsung Gallery, so a little of both for those. I like the editing options of the Samsung Gallery at times.

I use Samsung dialer and contacts. I use Samsung calendar, calculator and clock. I use Samsung music as my music player. I use the Google Play Store and Galaxy Store for different things. I use Samsung Pay over Google Pay exclusively. I use the Samsung browser exclusively.

I use Bixby and Google Assistant for different things. Bixby is great at phone level tasks and Google Assistant for more search related tasks. I use the Samsung camera app.

I also like some of the extra Samsung apps that I use like the Reminder app. I also use some of the Good Lock apps.

So as you can see, I always end up back on a Samsung phone because of how much I enjoy their apps and ecosystem if you will.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I know this in the S10 group, and I have an S9, but this seems like such a general question that I'll jump in.

I started using most of Samsung's apps when I got my first Samsung, the S8 after years with a BlackBerry Z10. My oldest son had a Galaxy S2, then S4 during that time, so I was familiar with Samsung's android for a while.

But, after the initial use of Samsung's stock apps, I started drifting to other options.

Store: Google Play for most apps (had a patched Google Play Store on the Z10 so already had apps on my Google account). Galaxy Store for the few Samsung specific apps I run - like Good Lock.

Pay: don't use it at all, so, neither.

Members: I have a Samsung account, but that's it.

Messaging: Textra, so, neither.

Browser: Firefox, so, neither. Disabled Chrome (it won't delete).

Assistant: None - of no use to me. In fact I disabled as much of Bixby as I could. Deleted the Google app itself (can be deleted and hurts nothing else Google related).

Email, Calendar and Contacts: BlackBerry Hub+ Suite, so, neither. I don't even have a gmail account (Google accounts don't need to be a gmail address). My email is an outlook.com account and an ISP email address.

Keyboard: BlackBerry Virtual keyboard, so, neither. I still love flicking up the words from the key itself - a feature carried over from BB10. No other vkb app does that.

Pass: don't use. I have a PIN lock on the phone itself, but that's it.

Cloud: have both plus OneDrive. Google and OneDrive to share with other non-Samsung devices, like my Fire tablet. Samsung for device backup.

Photos: stock Samsung, but I don't use the cloud option. I manually copy or move photos to my PC as needed.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use mostly Samsung's apps, but with Google services. Calendar & contacts are synced to my Google calendar & contacts. I use Samsung Internet with my bookmarks synced to Chrome via extension so I can view them on my Chromebook. Samsung Pass works like a champ for me. Like stated above, I use Drive for documents & Samsung cloud for a complete backup. Samsung Pay for MST. I use both Bixby & Assistant, Bixby for device functions (I have really enjoyed Bixby quick commands & routines more than I thought I would) & I use Assistant for all search & navigation inquiries. I have a plethora of Google Home speakers throughout my house so I use Assistant more on them than I do my phone.

I have zero intentions of using any other phone than a Sammy, so being invested in Sammy's ecosystem isn't that big of a deal... that being said, I am invested in both Samsung & Google and that's the great thing about our Galaxy devices is choice. What works for me might not work for you. But you will find that right mix of what works for you.

GaryD9

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
For several things, I've answered "Google - portability." This is to indicate that the reason for using the google solution is that it works or syncs across multiple platforms. (For example, I can share bookmarks between desktop chrome and mobile chrome.)

Samsung Pay vs Google Pay -- Samsung Pay, because it works with magnetic strip readers.

Samsung Members vs Google + : Neither.

Galaxy Store vs Play Store: Play Store for everything except specific samsung things that are only on samsung's store. Partially because of all the play store credit I have as a result of google's opinion polls, but also so I can share apps purchased with non-samsung phones.

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password: Google - portability.

Samsung Contacts vs Google Contacts: Google - portability.

Bixby vs Google Assistant: Google - portability.

Samsung Cloud vs Google Drive: Google - portability.

Samsung Backup vs Google Backup: Google - portability.

Samsung Browser vs Chrome: Google - portability.

Samsung Messages vs Hangouts or Google Messages: For SMS messages? Samsung (or rather, Samsung's implementation that's tied in with AT&T.)

About the only thing missing is email...? : Mixed. I use gmail for my G Suite account and I use Samsung for my work Exchange Server account.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Pay vs Google Pay - When using a Samsung phone? Samsung Pay

Samsung Members vs Google + (I don't even know if this still exists) - Google + doesn't exist anymore.

Galaxy Store vs Play Store - Play Store all day

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password - Neither -- LastPass is my choice

Samsung Contacts vs Google Contacts - Google Contacts - works with any phone

Bixby vs Google Assistant - GA - works with any phone

Samsung Cloud vs Google Drive - Google Drive - works with any phone

Samsung Backup vs Google Backup - Google backup - works with any phone

Samsung Browser vs Chrome - Chrome

Samsung Messages vs Hangouts or Google Messages - None. Textra

Mine above.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Samsung Pay

Play Store

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password (Both)

(Both)

Google Assistant

Google Drive

(Both)

Chrome BETA

Samsung Messages

I also like Open Source.

For example the S10's didn't come with a notification light. So a developer made one for the S10's that notifies me when I have a E-Mail, Text, alert, etc... It's called Holey Light and it works exactly like a notification led. Download it through the play store. With Apple their developers can't do that because their system is not open source.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Google Pay

N/A Google + no longer exists

Play Store

Neither

Google Contacts

Google Assistant

Google Drive

Google Backup

Neither on my phones / Chrome on my desktop

Google Messages

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Only Google apps i use is Chrome,Keep,Maps,Gmail and Google Play Games.i disabled the rest.

MsKate

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I use Google apps for work-related tasks (including G+, which is still in use for enterprise), plus Chrome, Photos, and Contacts. I believe that I use Samsung for almost everything else. For apps, I use both Galaxy Store & Play Store. I like that I don't have to fully subscribe to one or the other, and can customize my experience.

bryantj3303

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Fro me, it's a mix -

Samsung Pay vs Google Pay (Samsung Pay)

Samsung Members vs Google + (I don't even know if this still exists) - Neither

Galaxy Store vs Play Store- (I tend to default to the Play Store, however will use both)

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password (Samsung Pass)

Samsung Contacts vs Google Contacts (Google)

Bixby vs Google Assistant (Google Assistant)

Samsung Cloud vs Google Drive (Google Drive)

Samsung Backup vs Google Backup - My phone is backed up on both

Samsung Browser vs Chrome (Samsung Browser - Chrome was disabled)

Samsung Messages vs Hangouts or Google Messages (Google Messages, only b/c I can use it the web)

About the only thing missing is email...? Both. Samsung email for my work account and Gmail for personal.

I also prefer Samsung Calendar because it syncs with both my work and personal calendars

I know some call it bloat, but I like having options and choosing the one I like best.

PatkosCsaba

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I personally prefer Google apps, even though all my smartphones to date were Samsung Galaxy devices.

I think that Google is a great Software company, but not so much hardware. Samsung is a great hardware company, but not so much software.

To get the best of both, I use Google apps on Samsung phones.

The biggest advantages I see are:
1. Most of the Google apps have web versions, so I can use them from a desktop computer. Samsung apps are phone only.
2. If in the future I find a smartphone with better hardware, from a manufacturer other than Samsung, I can continue using the same apps. I don't have to learn new apps from a different phone maker.

And I like to go with this idea far enough so that if I have to use any other Android phone, application wise it will be identical to my previous phone.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
For several things, I've answered "Google - portability." This is to indicate that the reason for using the google solution is that it works or syncs across multiple platforms. (For example, I can share bookmarks between desktop chrome and mobile chrome.)

Samsung Pay vs Google Pay -- Samsung Pay, because it works with magnetic strip readers.

Samsung Members vs Google + : Neither.

Galaxy Store vs Play Store: Play Store for everything except specific samsung things that are only on samsung's store. Partially because of all the play store credit I have as a result of google's opinion polls, but also so I can share apps purchased with non-samsung phones.

Samsung Pass vs Google's built-in Password: Google - portability.

Samsung Contacts vs Google Contacts: Google - portability.

Bixby vs Google Assistant: Google - portability.

Samsung Cloud vs Google Drive: Google - portability.

Samsung Backup vs Google Backup: Google - portability.

Samsung Browser vs Chrome: Google - portability.

Samsung Messages vs Hangouts or Google Messages: For SMS messages? Samsung (or rather, Samsung's implementation that's tied in with AT&T.)

About the only thing missing is email...? : Mixed. I use gmail for my G Suite account and I use Samsung for my work Exchange Server account.

I'm pretty on board with all of this the same way. Although, I use Pulse SMS.

I did buy a Galaxy Watch, and the whole Samsung infrastructure is quite nice. My wife got one too, but with her non-Samsung phone a few features are missing. So it's good to be in the Samsung world, I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam