Review: Whitestone Dome for Samsung Galaxy S10+

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Back towards the end of March I was presented with the opportunity to review the Whitestone Dome Screen Protector for the S10+. I wanted to give it a full and complete review, however I decide to share my first impressions in an earlier thread. The thread ended up opening a huge dialogue about the pros and cons of the Dome and how well or not it worked with the FPS. If you haven't seen that thread or would like to revisit it please feel free to click on the link below or skip past the link to read my full review and final thoughts.
Whitestone Dome Screen Protector installed S10 plus: First Impressions

Full Review:

I installed a Whitestone Dome on my S10 Plus a couple of weeks after getting the device and wanted to share my thoughts thus far. I wanted to publish this sooner, however into my second week I dropped my phone so I had to start over as you will see further on in the review

IMG_20190509_213030.jpg

I wanted to try the Whitestone, because some of my fellow team members here in the forums swear they are by far one of the best protectors you can install. I almost put one on the my Pixel 3XL when I first bought it, however, like most people the price and the installation process kept me away.

That fear of installation didn’t fade for me even after receiving it, in fact I think it increased when I saw all of the bits, pieces and gadgets included in the package. I read the instructions a couple of times and watched the install video at least a few times before making the attempt. The install after having actually done it is not as bad as I might be making it sound, however you’re looking at a fairly handy guy who hates reading instructions. I knew in this case there isn’t a lot of margin for error and if I messed up, my forum buddies Mustang7757 and Spookdroid would never let me live it down.
I should also mention that I kept the video nearby so I could play, pause, rewind as I went along.

The installation process went very smooth and I actually enjoyed it.
The FPS is just as accurate as it was with the factory installed screen protector. I realize the FPS experience hasn’t been the best for everyone on the S10 and that seems to have carried over to Whitestone Dome. I wish there was a good explanation why it just doesn’t work for some. I do know that any air trapped between the screen and the protector would cause issues with readability. All I can say is that I followed the directions to letter. I feel it is extremely critical to follow the added step in the video where you apply pressure to the FPS area for about a minute after the initial curing step. I have seen reviews by Youtube reviewers that omitted this step, possibly because they installed it prior to the video’s release or were not aware it was added, however they still had a successful install.
The FPS on the S10+ hasn't lost any accuracy so far and it feels as accurate as the original. As I removed the original protector I was amazed at how slim it was and I can’t believe it affords anywhere near the protection of the Whitestone Dome.

IMG_20190509_224112.jpg

As luck would have it, somewhere into my second week I got to test it’s drop protection first hand. I fumbled my device while getting out of my car and onto the pavement in my driveway it went. I picked it up and everything looked great, however I started noticing that the FPS was not as responsive. Eventually I found that it had a hairline crack that was almost invisible. I imagine this was due to the adhesive bonding.

I would have lived with it bit, however because it was directly over the FPS that wouldn’t work for me. Luckily I had a backup Dome so I would be back in business in no time. It was very easy to remove and left no visible reside. The trick to removing without it shattering to pieces is to start at one corner and gently lift the corner and gradually pull only using as much pressure as required to let it gently pull away. It came off in one piece even with the cracked portion. Some people preheat it with a blow dryer to soften the adhesive but I didn’t need it. I did notice a tiny puncture along with the crack so I suspect it encountered a pebble during the drop. Since I was now a install pro, the second install was less intimidating. The second one has been doing well despite a couple of drops. I am definitely sold on the Whitestone Dome.

Final Thoughts:

I really like the Dome and it will be hard for me to review anything else because that would mean taking off my Dome and that's not happening unless it's time to replace it. It's that good, especially on Samsung devices with their curved screen. That is if you want the fullest protection you can buy. Yes, some do feel it's a bit pricey and there are some less expensive alternatives, however it’s a well designed product and all of the items included in the box make for a perfect installation and we simply can’t ignore that. The installation tray makes alignment a snap and Ultraviolet curing light is perfectly designed for use and even has an automatic shut off so no need to time it except for the initial cure. We also can't ignore that the S10+ is a super expensive device and you deserve the best protection you can buy outside of insurance. I feel that way about a lot of things and it was the same when I rode motorcycles. My friends would often question why I bought expensive helmets that were often quadruple the price of a decent helmet. My response was simply "If you have a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet.
IMG_20190509_212531.jpg

It looks amazing, fits perfectly. Looks as nice as the original screen so that you can't tell you have it on except for the cutout and at the top and bottom edges. With a case installed even more so, however you may not be able to use it with some of the bulkier cases. Again, the installation was smooth, however you must pay attention to the installation guide and video. I had a bubble free installation but I made sure there was absolutely no dust on the screen. The feel of the glass is super smooth and it has an Oleophobic coating so fingerprints are not an issue. The biggest issue is despite how well it works with the FPS for myself and others some people have had difficulty. That said, some have difficulty with the FPS even with the pre-installed protector or even with it removed. I don’t what the root cause is, however I feel that it is either a poor installation or a borderline device with an unforgiving FPS. The Dome comes with a lifetime warranty and replacements are about ten dollars with shipping. If you would like to learn more about their protector for the S10plus click on the link below.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s%2Fgalaxy-s10-plus-dome-glass&token=WTgHL1gO

Domes10-plus.jpg

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

Back towards the end of March I was presented with the opportunity to review the Whitestone Dome Screen Protector for the S10+. I wanted to give it a full and complete review, however I decide to share my first impressions in an earlier thread. The thread ended up opening a huge dialogue about the pros and cons of the Dome and how well or not it worked with the FPS. If you haven't seen that thread or would like to revisit it please feel free to click on the link below or skip past the link to read my full review and final thoughts.

Full Review:

I installed a Whitestone Dome on my S10 Plus a couple of weeks after getting the device and wanted to share my thoughts thus far. I wanted to publish this sooner, however into my second week I dropped my phone so I had to start over as you will see further on in the review

I wanted to try the Whitestone, because some of my fellow team members here in the forums swear they are by far one of the best protectors you can install. I almost put one on the my Pixel 3XL when I first bought it, however, like most people the price and the installation process kept me away.

That fear of installation didn’t fade for me even after receiving it, in fact I think it increased when I saw all of the bits, pieces and gadgets included in the package. I read the instructions a couple of times and watched the install video at least a few times before making the attempt. The install after having actually done it is not as bad as I might be making it sound, however you’re looking at a fairly handy guy who hates reading instructions. I knew in this case there isn’t a lot of margin for error and if I messed up, my forum buddies Mustang7757 and Spookdroid would never let me live it down.
I should also mention that I kept the video nearby so I could play, pause, rewind as I went along.

The installation process went very smooth and I actually enjoyed it.
The FPS is just as accurate as it was with the factory installed screen protector. I realize the FPS experience hasn’t been the best for everyone on the S10 and that seems to have carried over to Whitestone Dome. I wish there was a good explanation why it just doesn’t work for some. I do know that any air trapped between the screen and the protector would cause issues with readability. All I can say is that I followed the directions to letter. I feel it is extremely critical to follow the added step in the video where you apply pressure to the FPS area for about a minute after the initial curing step. I have seen reviews by Youtube reviewers that omitted this step, possibly because they installed it prior to the video’s release or were not aware it was added, however they still had a successful install.
The FPS on the S10+ hasn't lost any accuracy so far and it feels as accurate as the original. As I removed the original protector I was amazed at how slim it was and I can’t believe it affords anywhere near the protection of the Whitestone Dome.

As luck would have it, somewhere into my second week I got to test it’s drop protection first hand. I fumbled my device while getting out of my car and onto the pavement in my driveway it went. I picked it up and everything looked great, however I started noticing that the FPS was not as responsive. Eventually I found that it had a hairline crack that was almost invisible. I imagine this was due to the adhesive bonding.

I would have lived with it bit, however because it was directly over the FPS that wouldn’t work for me. Luckily I had a backup Dome so I would be back in business in no time. It was very easy to remove and left no visible reside. The trick to removing without it shattering to pieces is to start at one corner and gently lift the corner and gradually pull only using as much pressure as required to let it gently pull away. It came off in one piece even with the cracked portion. Some people preheat it with a blow dryer to soften the adhesive but I didn’t need it. I did notice a tiny puncture along with the crack so I suspect it encountered a pebble during the drop. Since I was now a install pro, the second install was less intimidating. The second one has been doing well despite a couple of drops. I am definitely sold on the Whitestone Dome.

Final Thoughts:

I really like the Dome and it will be hard for me to review anything else because that would mean taking off my Dome and that's not happening unless it's time to replace it. It's that good, especially on Samsung devices with their curved screen. That is if you want the fullest protection you can buy. Yes, some do feel it's a bit pricey and there are some less expensive alternatives, however it’s a well designed product and all of the items included in the box make for a perfect installation and we simply can’t ignore that. The installation tray makes alignment a snap and Ultraviolet curing light is perfectly designed for use and even has an automatic shut off so no need to time it except for the initial cure. We also can't ignore that the S10+ is a super expensive device and you deserve the best protection you can buy outside of insurance. I feel that way about a lot of things and it was the same when I rode motorcycles. My friends would often question why I bought expensive helmets that were often quadruple the price of a decent helmet. My response was simply "If you have a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet.
It looks amazing, fits perfectly. Looks as nice as the original screen so that you can't tell you have it on except for the cutout and at the top and bottom edges. With a case installed even more so, however you may not be able to use it with some of the bulkier cases. Again, the installation was smooth, however you must pay attention to the installation guide and video. I had a bubble free installation but I made sure there was absolutely no dust on the screen. The feel of the glass is super smooth and it has an Oleophobic coating so fingerprints are not an issue. The biggest issue is despite how well it works with the FPS for myself and others some people have had difficulty. That said, some have difficulty with the FPS even with the pre-installed protector or even with it removed. I don’t what the root cause is, however I feel that it is either a poor installation or a borderline device with an unforgiving FPS. The Dome comes with a lifetime warranty and replacements are about ten dollars with shipping. If you would like to learn more about their protectors form the S10 series click on the link below.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tonedome.com%2Fproducts-2-2%2F&token=lOrf7QvF

Great review!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Solid review, thanks. I'm just so para about the glue going into holes where it shouldn't go.

They give you a mask for the earpiece speaker which prevents any chance of the glue entering. Any other holes are really out of the way of entry, however I do understand you concerns

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Full Review:

<.....>

Great review. Thanks for doing this. I ordered a very similar product from amFilm, but it didn't work out because it has a discoloration when wearing my polarized sunglasses. How is the Dome in this regard?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Great review. Thanks for doing this. I ordered a very similar product from amFilm, but it didn't work out because it has a discoloration when wearing my polarized sunglasses. How is the Dome in this regard?
Sorry for the late response. I have not experienced any issues, however I wear transition lenses and if polarization was available I would have opted out because they make it tuff or impossible to view screens regardless of protector or no protector. I will say this ... The Dome is crystal clear

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The amFilm is crystal clear, but with polarized sunglasses it has a flowing shade as opposed to the whole screen dimming. I don't mind the latter but the former was just too difficult to overlook.

anon(10509503)

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
I'm upgrading to the Note10+ and I have a spare WhiteStone Dome (just the glass replacement). Cover the shipping and it's yours. Message me if you're interested or it's going in the trash...