Hi,

I recently encountered a problem with my S10+ where I was listening to Spotify and the battery ran down to 7%. Every time I opened WhatsApp or exit the Spotify app, the music would stop and the phone was being slightly slow.
    This was not due to any power saving settings.

When I came to put my phone on fast charge it got hot and charged up to 13%, whilst on charge it dropped to 12% giving an estimated time of 7.5 hours to 100%. After restarting the phone it did charge up to 30% and then slowed down considerably to like 7% per hour whilst on live chat via Samsung members app.

Samsung Live chat suggested I factory reset the phone and see if the issue persists.

Charged to 100% the following day and it lasted 29 hours with about 3 hours on screen time... I considered that fairly decent for Exynos.

I'm now using AccuBattery and saw percentage per hour starts quite high (60/70/80ish) and then drops to like 20% per hour whilst using the phone.

Iv never actually monitored this previously so I'm not sure if there's an problem or if I'm looking for an problem...
    05-27-2019 02:39 PM
    Hi,

I recently encountered a problem with my S10+ where I was listening to Spotify and the battery ran down to 7%. Every time I opened WhatsApp or exit the Spotify app, the music would stop and the phone was being slightly slow.
    You should keep lithium batteries between 40% and 95%. They aren't deep discharge batteries, and if the charger (the chip in the phone) goes bad, leaving the charger (actually just a power supply) plugged in after the battery is fully charged could damage it. But discharging it down to 7% regularly will give you about 500 charge cycles - then the battery starts to die.

When I came to put my phone on fast charge it got hot and charged up to 13%, whilst on charge it dropped to 12% giving an estimated time of 7.5 hours to 100%. After restarting the phone it did charge up to 30% and then slowed down considerably to like 7% per hour whilst on live chat via Samsung members app.
    All signs of a bad battery.

Iv never actually monitored this previously so I'm not sure if there's an problem or if I'm looking for an problem...
    The problem is letting the battery discharge too far before charging it. You're killing it a lot faster than it shoulween 40% and 95% and you shouldn't have any problems - except that you're now starting with a badly misused battery. If it gets down to 40%, and you can't charge it (and you don't carry a power bank with you, turn the phone off until you can charge it. (We used to carry a spare battery or two, but we can't do that any more, with sealed phones, so power banks are the next best thing.)
    Dannyh1991 likes this.
    05-27-2019 03:48 PM
    Thanks for the reply, I do usually try to keep the battery charge higher than that (20-30 minimum in honesty) but on that day had a busy day sorting my car and gym etc etc... I never let it hit 100 or leave the phone on overnight.
    Same way I treated my s7 for 2 years and s9 last year.

I may start carrying my battery pack more often.

Not sure if it would be a strange occurance that I'm making a big deal about or if something is actually wrong with the phone physically.
    05-28-2019 03:09 PM
    You should keep lithium batteries between 40% and 95%. They aren't deep discharge batteries, and if the charger (the chip in the phone) goes bad, leaving the charger (actually just a power supply) plugged in after the battery is fully charged could damage it. But discharging it down to 7% regularly will give you about 500 charge cycles - then the battery starts to die.

All signs of a bad battery.

The problem is letting the battery discharge too far before charging it. You're killing it a lot faster than it shoulween 40% and 95% and you shouldn't have any problems - except that you're now starting with a badly misused battery. If it gets down to 40%, and you can't charge it (and you don't carry a power bank with you, turn the phone off until you can charge it. (We used to carry a spare battery or two, but we can't do that any more, with sealed phones, so power banks are the next best thing.)
    The S10 has been out for less than 3 months. If he'd run his battery down to 7% everyday since it was released, the amount of battery degradation would still be completely unnoticeable.

The issue isn't that he uses his phone like a normal person, it's either a software bug (which is why they told him to factory reset) or a problem with the charging circuitry. If there's a problem at all.

For what it's worth, I'd try clearing the cache from the recovery (hold the bixby and volume down keys while turning the phone on) before factory resetting. But you AccuBattery results sound about right... Fast charge is only fast when your battery is low, as the charge increases, the charge rate shows. It'll also slow down a lot if you use your phone, as it will get hot.

I have to say, coming from a OnePlus phone, Samsung's "fast" charge leaves a lot to be desired...
    05-28-2019 07:13 PM

For what it's worth, I'd try clearing the cache from the recovery (hold the bixby and volume down keys while turning the phone on) before factory resetting. But you AccuBattery results sound about right... Fast charge is only fast when your battery is low, as the charge increases, the charge rate shows. It'll also slow down a lot if you use your phone, as it will get hot.

What does clearing the cache actually do?

What gets deleted/cleared from phone?

Thanks
    05-29-2019 09:20 AM
    Basically just temporary files like stored images from webpages and stuff... All of your data like photos and downloads will be safe.
    05-29-2019 10:43 AM
    Basically just temporary files like stored images from webpages and stuff... All of your data like photos and downloads will be safe.
    I turned phone on while holding bixby and volume down button. A screen came up with a message about installing a different OS. Then instructions..... Which i now i can't recall. I think it was volume up to cancel or volume down to continue.

I didn't see anything about clearing cache.

Did i do something wrong that i saw that screen instead of cache clear.
    05-30-2019 07:23 AM
    I turned phone on while holding bixby and volume down button. A screen came up with a message about installing a different OS. Then instructions..... Which i now i can't recall. I think it was volume up to cancel or volume down to continue.

I didn't see anything about clearing cache.

Did i do something wrong that i saw that screen instead of cache clear.

Switch off your device.

Hold volume up + Bixby button and power on your device holding volume up and Bixby button.

You will find a screen with many option scroll down using volume down key till you reach cache partition to select it press the power button.
    05-30-2019 07:29 AM
    Fwiw, the original instructions above state volume down and Bixby when starting up.

Was that a mistake?
    05-30-2019 07:30 AM
    Yeah it is volume up, my mistake.

Just make sure you don't accidentally wipe data.
    05-30-2019 12:02 PM