06-30-2019 10:33 AM
29 12
tools
    Here I am, this close to moving from an S9+, to a S10+.

Curious, are most of you using the Default Launcher or Nova Launcher?

Also, with the Telsa Unread not available for Pie, if you're using Nova, how are icon notifications working?

Thanks all...
    gendo667 likes this.
    05-29-2019 12:47 PM
    I use both actually. Switch at my leisure. Notification badges work seamlessly on Nova.
    Rukbat and ivantwilliams like this.
    05-29-2019 01:15 PM
    Badging didn't used to work in Nova on Pie - it does now. (I just got a notification on the AC Forums app a few minutes ago, and the little "1" was sitting on the icon.)
    (You on't need Tesla Unread any more wither - just Nova Prime.)
    05-29-2019 01:35 PM
    Correct in that Nova has its own built-in notification badges (yes, multiple options for how they work) ... The "numeric dots" notification badge is my fave, but there is still an issue (meaning, characteristic) of it that I'm not a fan of (and it makes me miss Tesla UNREAD)... here's what I mean:

The "numeric dots" shows you a badge with a number ... but the number is NOT an "unread count" ... it's the amount of current notifications for that app. So, let's say you see your email app with a badge and a 3 on it ... that means you have 3 notifications for your email. So, you pull your shade down, look at the notifications, then clear them. Well ... when you do that, the badge goes away. Or, if you cleared only one of the notifications, the badge now says 2 ...

Point being, for me ... I like the actual "unread" count for emails within the app, as well as the persistent badge until you actually open up the app and address the items that you were notified about. When it works "my way", it allows you to quickly check your notifications and see if you need to address anything immediately ... and if not, you can still dismiss the notifications but keep the badge on the app icon to remind you that you have unread items, or notifications in the app that you need to address.

Maybe I'm too particular ... but I just don't care that much for a badge that's directly tied to the actual notification in the status bar. Because of that, it's more a redundancy than anything else. The "unread" count type badge will persist until addressed, which to me is a FAR better tool.
    ivantwilliams and dllrogers55 like this.
    05-29-2019 02:12 PM
    I flip flop. I prefer Nova just because you have the gestures for quick access to things and the one widget I always use, play music, is in the dock.

As for the notifications, i just have mine set to show me if I have something. So not diving too deep in to Tesla Unread.
    ivantwilliams likes this.
    05-29-2019 04:22 PM
    Correct in that Nova has its own built-in notification badges (yes, multiple options for how they work) ... The "numeric dots" notification badge is my fave, but there is still an issue (meaning, characteristic) of it that I'm not a fan of (and it makes me miss Tesla UNREAD)... here's what I mean:

The "numeric dots" shows you a badge with a number ... but the number is NOT an "unread count" ... it's the amount of current notifications for that app. So, let's say you see your email app with a badge and a 3 on it ... that means you have 3 notifications for your email. So, you pull your shade down, look at the notifications, then clear them. Well ... when you do that, the badge goes away. Or, if you cleared only one of the notifications, the badge now says 2 ...

Point being, for me ... I like the actual "unread" count for emails within the app, as well as the persistent badge until you actually open up the app and address the items that you were notified about. When it works "my way", it allows you to quickly check your notifications and see if you need to address anything immediately ... and if not, you can still dismiss the notifications but keep the badge on the app icon to remind you that you have unread items, or notifications in the app that you need to address.

Maybe I'm too particular ... but I just don't care that much for a badge that's directly tied to the actual notification in the status bar. Because of that, it's more a redundancy than anything else. The "unread" count type badge will persist until addressed, which to me is a FAR better tool.
    I agree with you. I prefer the unread counts rather than notification based badges. It seems stupid that if you have 3 unread text messages and only read one, it clears the badge rather than update the count for unread badges. I've read a lot of comments made by Cliff (creator of Nova) and it's the way Android notifications work now. They are notification based counts.
    05-29-2019 05:13 PM
    ...this is all brilliant information. Thanks all for sharing.
    I will try Nova again, for a while. It might even fix my Outlook notification issue, too.
    gendo667 likes this.
    05-29-2019 05:26 PM
    I always use the stock launcher of the OEM. If I don't like the launcher then I don't buy the phone. Right now it's Google and Sammy thanks to One UI.
    05-29-2019 05:56 PM
    I use Nova. Have been using it for years. One benefit, no matter what phone you get, you will know how the launcher works. Plus Nova offers more features.
    ivantwilliams and dllrogers55 like this.
    05-29-2019 06:08 PM
    Nova for me. Pie is an absolute step in the right direction but I think Nova is so much more customizable.
    05-29-2019 06:54 PM
    How is everyone's battery with Nova?
    05-29-2019 08:36 PM
    How is everyone's battery with Nova?
    Mine is fine
    05-29-2019 08:49 PM
    I always use Nova. So many options that aren't available with stock launcher. I could never use a stock launcher.
    05-29-2019 08:56 PM
    I used One UI first, now trying Action Launcher. So far like it. Notification badges work great. I used Nova for years and kinda wanted to try something new.
    06-01-2019 10:50 PM
    Nova definitely for first choice launcher , it just has the look and feel like it should came with the phone by default .
    Blasted_1 likes this.
    06-01-2019 11:03 PM
    I am a prime nova user. I've tried to just use stock but there are just certain things I miss like putting however many dock icons that I want, gestures, Google feeds swiping to the right and more.
    Blasted_1 likes this.
    06-02-2019 07:46 AM
    I used to use nothing but Nova for a long time, but for a month now I have been using Action Launcher. I like how it is close to what you get on Pixel devices as far as the look goes, and I like. being able to swipe from the left for quick access to all my apps. I also enjoy being able to easily customize my icons and folders by a simple long press yo bring up customization. Of course I have the pro version so some things are not available in the free version.Action launcher fits very well with my S10 and is probably now my favorite launcher to date.
    06-23-2019 02:54 PM
    Nova Launcher... Because I feel that it's the best for me...
    06-23-2019 07:11 PM
    Nova prime here. Still gives me more features than OneUI
    06-25-2019 03:00 AM
    mostly stock launcher, but will switch to Nova once in awhile.
    06-25-2019 09:12 AM
    Used to use Nova but it's been years. Stock for me is a lot smoother than Nova and less resource hungry. Samsung's UI is awesome.
    06-25-2019 08:18 PM
    Also using stock Samsung Launcher here. Looks great, very customizable, and super fast.
    06-25-2019 08:33 PM
    Nova prime here. Still gives me more features than OneUI
    +1. One Ui is a massive step in the right direction but I still think Nova allows for way more customization.
    06-25-2019 08:50 PM
    currently using using Samsung s10 default launcher
    and just as you suspect;
    the notifications
    are
    absolutely horrible
    Honestly hate it I mean it's cool that the pull down notification menu is directly connected to the app icon badges
    but
    how tf do I TURN IT OFF??!!??!!?
    I've been for months now trying to figure out how to get the badges (numbers and all) to just stay put
    once I've cleared the pull down menu
    but
    always
    they clear as well

Here I am, this close to moving from an S9+, to a S10+.

Curious, are most of you using the Default Launcher or Nova Launcher?

Also, with the Telsa Unread not available for Pie, if you're using Nova, how are icon notifications working?

Thanks all...
    06-26-2019 06:46 PM
    Tesla Unread is still available on their website:
    https://help.teslacoilapps.com/teslaunread
    06-28-2019 11:21 AM
29 12