When will Samsung release the S10 5G unlocked model?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Samsung launched Galaxy S10 5G model in 1st Quarter of 2019. Recently, in May, the 5G model is released for sales but only with Verizon carrier. Is there a plan to release unlocked version?

Vishnu_Prakash

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
Not sure what is taking Samsung so long to release the unlocked version. Atleast if they can confirm whether they will launch in near future, I can plan accordingly.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung launched Galaxy S10 5G model in 1st Quarter of 2019. Recently, in May, the 5G model is released for sales but only with Verizon carrier. Is there a plan to release unlocked version?

It’s already out here in Switzerland. You can buy it unlocked from pretty much any retailer who sells Samsung phones.

Price-wise it’s the same locked (currently being sold by Swisscom) and unlocked. 1280.- Swiss Francs including tax - which is exactly 1280$ at the current exchange rate :) that’s for the single SIM 256gb version. It’s also 100 bucks cheaper than the iPhone XS Max 256gb.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Note 10 5G will be absolutely insanely expensive. The S10 5G is already 1280$ here, the Note 10 will be close to 1500
I hope it wont reach that price, but if it does and I like it I'll trade my s9+ or note 9 in for to knock the price down.

knowledge775

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
The Note 10 5G will be absolutely insanely expensive. The S10 5G is already 1280$ here, the Note 10 will be close to 1500
Yeah, but Sammy usually does good promo's for pre-orders... The Note 10 Pro 5G specked out may hit close to 2K considering how much they were charging for the fold.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there even an unlocked version? I was under the understanding that because the 5G rollouts are so different, a universal unlocked model won't be happening.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Europe may be different. In the US all the carriers are very different as far as how they're deploying 5G
What do you mean by that? Don't they just deploy the network and that's it? Here they're doing just that - put up new cell towers until everyone has coverage

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by that? Don't they just deploy the network and that's it? Here they're doing just that - put up new cell towers until everyone has coverage

All the networks are using different technology and frequencies right now. Before the networks were even built there were stories that universal unlocked devices wouldn't be a thing for a while in the US because of those differences.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
All the networks are using different technology and frequencies right now. Before the networks were even built there were stories that universal unlocked devices wouldn't be a thing for a while in the US because of those differences.
Oh wow, that blows - back to incompatible networks, like in the 90s. Also sucks if you go on vacation to Europe or if tourists come to the US - as those phones won't work then I suppose

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Oh wow, that blows - back to incompatible networks, like in the 90s. Also sucks if you go on vacation to Europe or if tourists come to the US - as those phones won't work then I suppose
It's less of an issue these days as so many flagships these days are multiband radio equipped. I remember my USA Note 3 at the time wasn't compatible with giffgaff 4g so it was always in hspa+ in the UK. But on Vodafone UK it would have got one LTE band.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Not in the UK. Only locked EE or Vodafone devices ATM.

Which is worrying for the Note 10. Can't imagine going back to a locked device and being tied to a specific carrier. Are the technologies so different that the modems differ?

Yes there is, I'm typing this message on one :) but I'm in Europe

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't you think they just have exclusivity for a few weeks or months? You can already get 3 different 5G models here, all unlocked. I'm pretty sure Swiss companies will gladly sell you one.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's less of an issue these days as so many flagships these days are multiband radio equipped. I remember my USA Note 3 at the time wasn't compatible with giffgaff 4g so it was always in hspa+ in the UK. But on Vodafone UK it would have got one LTE band.

With 5G devices its going backwards compared to LTE