How to stop screen going blank during call on Android S10?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Screen goes blank. Very hard to double tap to bring it back.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There's a proximity sensor (located near the front facing camera) that is supposed to detect when your phone is put to your ear, which turns off the screen to prevent accidental touches. Occasionally a screen protector will trick it to think it's blocked, so you can try removing it if you have one installed. If the screen is extra dirty, that too can trigger the sensor.

If those don't work, it could be a software bug, which would be hard to pinpoint and fix without just going the nuclear route and factory resetting the phone. It also could be a hardware problem with the sensor itself, which would require having a shop try to repair it or try making a warranty claim.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
This is a "feature" which has been part of the Samsung experience since at least the Note 8. Have tried many things, many threads, and no one has prevented it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree it goes blank when on call to the ear , but my screen goes back on once I pull away from the ear .

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Well , in my case if I take away from ear screen is back on until it times out or if I put back to my ear it goes black again.
This is how mine has always worked as well. If the screen goes back out it's due to your screen timeout settings not because of the calls.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is how mine has always worked as well. If the screen goes back out it's due to your screen timeout settings not because of the calls.
No not the part to the ear , that's the proximity sensor working at that moment, I'm saying if I take away from my ear then it will depend on the screen timeout.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
No not the part to the ear , that's the proximity sensor working at that moment, I'm saying if I take away from my ear then it will depend on the screen timeout.
You're correct wasn't implying that. I was agreeing with the part about up to the ear and was also specifying that when not up to my ear about the screen timeout. Just didnt make that real clear I guess

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree it goes blank when on call to the ear , but my screen goes back on once I pull away from the ear .
That's how mine functions.

OP if your screen doesn't come back on when you pull the phone away from your ear, then there might be something blocking the proximity sensor (screen protector/case) or it may be faulty.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm hoping it's okay to jump in and ask.

I never put phone to my ear. I hold it where I can look at screen. But screen always goes black! Very annoying. So much so I put some card in my iPhone X.

I can't find solution. Hard to believe this is default normal behavior it for me it's been this way for month I've owned S10+.

Screen timeout is 10 minutes, I'd set it for never if I could. Developer Mode is on. But that only affects while charging.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm hoping it's okay to jump in and ask.

I never put phone to my ear. I hold it where I can look at screen. But screen always goes black! Very annoying. So much so I put some card in my iPhone X.

I can't find solution. Hard to believe this is default normal behavior it for me it's been this way for month I've owned S10+.

Screen timeout is 10 minutes, I'd set it for never if I could. Developer Mode is on. But that only affects while charging.
Definitely ok to jump in ..