Yesterday 08:38 AM
49 12
tools
    OK...the title of the thread is "no VOLTE" so perhaps I missed something. On my S10+ I do have a specific toggle to turn VoLTE on and off, so if that option is missing for some I would suspect it's because the carrier has blocked the service.
    What carrier your on ?
    06-17-2019 08:23 PM
    What carrier your on ?
    Telus (Canada)
    06-17-2019 08:26 PM
    Telus (Canada)
    Probably why you see the toggle.
    06-17-2019 08:28 PM
    Probably why you see the toggle.
    Its an additional option in Network settings. Pixel has it. So does iPhone. If VoLTE is being enabled automatically somehow and this setting doesn't exist, then IMS should show up as registered under Settings/About Phone/IMS status. Otherwise you're not getting VoLTE.

To avoid any confusion, I should probably add HD calling and VoLTE are not the same thing...
    06-17-2019 08:36 PM
    Its an additional option in Network settings. Pixel has it. So does iPhone. If VoLTE is being enabled automatically somehow and this setting doesn't exist, then IMS should show up as registered under Settings/About Phone/IMS status. Otherwise you're not getting VoLTE.

To avoid any confusion, I should probably add HD calling and VoLTE are not the same thing...
    Different phones , but my 1+6 has the toggle which is global unlocked with my tmobile sim or Att sim, iPhone x on tmobile dont have a toggle, my note 9 on att or tmobile dont have a toggle, my pixel 2xl and 3xl on att or tmobile do, my s10+ on tmobile dont
    06-17-2019 08:43 PM
    Different phones , but my 1+6 has the toggle which is global unlocked with my tmobile sim or Att sim, iPhone x on tmobile dont have a toggle, my note 9 on att or tmobile dont have a toggle, my pixel 2xl and 3xl on att or tmobile do, my s10+ on tmobile dont
    Is IMS registered on all those phones?
    06-17-2019 09:05 PM
    Yes of course
    Is IMS registered on all those phones?
    06-17-2019 09:06 PM
    OK...the title of the thread is "no VOLTE" so perhaps I missed something. On my S10+ I do have a specific toggle to turn VoLTE on and off, so if that option is missing for some I would suspect it's because the carrier has blocked the service.
    Nope. The service itself isn't blocked.

The carrier has chosen not to show the toggle.

T-Mobile, same thing.

If your phone is not branded AT&T or T-Mobile, then you're in a different situation.
    06-18-2019 06:14 AM
    Nope. The service itself isn't blocked.

The carrier has chosen not to show the toggle.

T-Mobile, same thing.

If your phone is not branded AT&T or T-Mobile, then you're in a different situation.
    It is also possible to have VoLTE service enabled on your account, but the carrier does not support your device for it and therefore no VoLTE.

The only way to know for sure is to call another person who you know has it enabled. If LTE connection stays on during the call, than you know it is working.

It is interesting that they would remove the toggle though. Perhaps these carriers now consider it a standard feature and hence no reason to make it selectable?
    06-18-2019 06:48 AM
    Just like the media, you only picked one thing out of the whole sentence to focus on.

The title of the thread is "AT&T S10+ - No VoLTE (HD Calling) toggle in settings?"

@dendron01

"To avoid any confusion, I should probably add HD calling and VoLTE are not the same thing..."

True, but you need to have VoLTE to have HD calling.
    06-18-2019 08:51 AM
    you need to have VoLTE to have HD calling.
    Not true. Seems like there is a lot of confusion on this issue. HD calling is just an enhanced audio codec and does not require LTE. It can be transmitted over GSM/UMTS and CDMA2000. Again, it does NOT require an LTE connection, as VoLTE does:

https://www.gsma.com/futurenetworks/...ng-guidelines/

Also - VoLTE and WIFI calling both require IMS registration. HD calling does not.

This why many older phones can support HD calling but not VoLTE. They are NOT the same thing.
    06-18-2019 09:08 AM
    Well, in the case of AT&T, wifi calling and HD voice (volte) are the features. I recently switched from an s8+ branded to AT&T and switched to a AT&T branded s10+. On my s8+ with pie and the previous OS version I had both options available to turn on or off. However, on my s10+ only have toggle for wifi calling, no toggle for HD voice. It is on however, because my wife has an iPhone with the setting on and when I talk to her from the car the HD voice doesn't work, but when she turns off the car and continues speaking with me from the mouthpiece, you can notice the difference when the system switches. So it's on, just not available to us as a toggle. I confirmed this today half an hour ago. A family member of mine has another branded att phone that had the setting and noticed a difference while my sister on the same network but with unlocked s9+ sounded normal. Will confirm with them today too.
    06-18-2019 11:18 AM
    It is also possible to have VoLTE service enabled on your account, but the carrier does not support your device for it and therefore no VoLTE.
    Of course, that's not what we're talking about here at all. Never was.
    jes1888 likes this.
    06-18-2019 12:46 PM
    Of course, that's not what we're talking about here at all. Never was.
    The problem is confusing HD voice with VoLTE. If you guys want to believe they are the same thing, go ahead. Just know that if there is/was a toggle in the menu for HD voice on AT&T (or whatever carrier), that it has absolutely nothing to do with VoLTE. Never did.
    06-18-2019 02:08 PM
    06-18-2019 02:32 PM
    Oh wow really? Not the iPhone?
    06-18-2019 03:47 PM
    The problem is confusing HD voice with VoLTE. If you guys want to believe they are the same thing, go ahead. Just know that if there is/was a toggle in the menu for HD voice on AT&T (or whatever carrier), that it has absolutely nothing to do with VoLTE. Never did.
    I don't think anyone is. Most people put HD and VoLTE in the same basket as some didn't get HD until VoLTE but yes they are separate... such as T-Mobile had HD calling before VoLTE back when they were running HSPA whereas Verizon didn't have it until they launched VoLTE.

AT&T is known for hiding toggles that others wouldn't just because .. well .. AT&T. Same with Verizon. Such as on some Verizon phones you can't just easily toggle back to 3G even though the phone is fully capable because they removed the function for easily doing it via a toggle.

Not sure how it is in Canada with modified software on phones but it is hard to compare you guys to our carriers since it may not be the same. Carriers are known in the US for doing stupid things like removing toggles for stuff that has no real reason to be removed just because they think it is a good idea.
    06-18-2019 03:50 PM
    Oh wow really? Not the iPhone?
    I had another look , it was kinda of hidden under cellular Data option had to click..lol when u question me I did a double check it's there
    Almeuit likes this.
    06-18-2019 04:02 PM
    I had another look , it was kinda of hidden under cellular Data option had to click..lol when u question me I did a double check it's there
    Haha I was going to say that should be pretty universal. Apple doesn't like carriers toying with the phone function :P.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-18-2019 04:05 PM
    I don't think anyone is. Most people put HD and VoLTE in the same basket as some didn't get HD until VoLTE but yes they are separate...
    Finally someone acknowledged this, thank you.

I'll go back to my special Canada carrier modified S10+ now (LOL) and leave this thread alone.
    06-18-2019 06:00 PM
    Finally someone acknowledged this, thank you.

I'll go back to my special Canada carrier modified S10+ now (LOL) and leave this thread alone.

I guess that was the point I was making. From my experience, I have never experienced HD calling on Verizon or AT&T until VoLTE came out. I can't speak for Sprint or Tmobile as I have not used them in the past.

So although you are technically correct, that is not what most people experienced. Most people never heard or experienced HD called until VoLTE came out.

Kind of like my whole life, people who eat Sherbet always called it Sherbert. They knew it was incorrect, but they still called it Sherbert.
    06-18-2019 06:52 PM
    06-18-2019 08:11 PM
    Can you be more specific, I am not able to find it.
    I am with ATT on a note 9 device.
    Thanks
    Yesterday 08:33 AM
    Can you be more specific, I am not able to find it.
    I am with ATT on a note 9 device.
    Thanks
    That was my iPhone x ,my Note 9 on Att don't have it
    Yesterday 08:38 AM
49 12