Google maps now allowing crowd sourcing

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
So now you get the great routing of Google maps (Waze often gets too cute and [ahem] "creative" for its own good) with the information of Waze.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Google navigation for years. I was surprised while driving recently and got a pop-up message asking if a freeway speed trap still exists. Sure enough, I just passed a police stop on the freeway. So I pressed the yes button to the question. Actually, I find this a little annoying, but I suppose it's useful.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know, it's so weird that they don't share routing algorithms.
Google bought out Waze not too long ago, which explains that.

Personally, I'm waiting for Maps to finally give accurate eta's. It seems like the only way it could be accurate is if you're doing about ten over the speed limit. I drive the speed limit, and sometime under, so I have to factor in about an extra 15% to its time.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google bought out Waze not too long ago, which explains that.

Personally, I'm waiting for Maps to finally give accurate eta's. It seems like the only way it could be accurate is if you're doing about ten over the speed limit. I drive the speed limit, and sometime under, so I have to factor in about an extra 15% to its time.
I've never noticed inaccurate ETAs. It also adjusts the ETAs as traffic patterns change so that could account for some of what you're experiencing.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the recalculations due to accidents and such. But if the speed limit is 65mph, and I'm driving 65 mph, I can watch my estimated arrival time get later and later despite no backups reported or experienced. I'd have to be going 70+ in the 65 mph zone to keep the eta the same.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was traveling from Charleston SC back home yesterday and I was going the speed limit according to my car. When I looked at Google Maps it was saying I was going 2-3 MPH below the speed limit. I did notice the ETA for my destination increase a little bit. Once I got up to the speed limit for Google Maps I didn't notice the ETA increasing any longer. Either way I think Google Maps MPH is inaccurate.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was traveling from Charleston SC back home yesterday and I was going the speed limit according to my car. When I looked at Google Maps it was saying I was going 2-3 MPH below the speed limit. I did notice the ETA for my destination increase a little bit. Once I got up to the speed limit for Google Maps I didn't notice the ETA increasing any longer. Either way I think Google Maps MPH is inaccurate.

Fine for me in Google Maps & Waze when using CarPlay w/ my iPhone. It matches what my truck says.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I have all the latest Google maps bells and whistles apart from the posted road speed limits. Maybe it's what Obama said, "The UK will have to go to the back of the line if you want out of the EU. :'(.
Apart from that, I'm a fan of Google maps.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I like that these features are being implemented from Waze. However, they should add all the croud sourcing reporting options. Unless I am missing something, I only see three options.

Would also like to see these available as well as speed in "Driving Mode" when a route isnt currently in use. These option show when you are actively navigating someplace.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I like that these features are being implemented from Waze. However, they should add all the croud sourcing reporting options. Unless I am missing something, I only see three options.

Would also like to see these available as well as speed in "Driving Mode" when a route isnt currently in use. These option show when you are actively navigating someplace.
I'm sure they are taking it one step at a time. I just wonder if in time this spells the end of Waze