07-21-2019 11:16 PM
112 12345
tools
    Wondering if these phones can boot into safe mode as mentioned in the article
    belodion likes this.
    07-11-2019 03:35 PM
    I'm sure it can .
    07-11-2019 04:48 PM
    Nice to see a Blog/website talking about this issue (based on the link posted in a earlier post).

Now for Samsung to fix it, forthwith...
    07-12-2019 02:20 AM
    Same issue. I've had the phone for months. Always use a pin (required by work). Just did the OS update and now it's asking for a password. I've run through every password I use.

Not only is this confusing, but really BS that updating the OS would change my security settings without permission.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-12-2019 07:39 AM
    You’d think that posters in this thread would have tried that and sent feedback in the 16h since you posted that, wouldn’t you? It would only take one minute to try it. But no.
    07-12-2019 07:51 AM
    Same issue. I've had the phone for months. Always use a pin (required by work). Just did the OS update and now it's asking for a password. I've run through every password I use.

Not only is this confusing, but really BS that updating the OS would change my security settings without permission.
    Did you try using "default_password" like I suggested several comments up?
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-12-2019 07:55 AM
    You’d think that posters in this thread would have tried that and sent feedback in the 16h since you posted that, wouldn’t you? It would only take one minute to try it. But no.
    No big surprises
    belodion likes this.
    07-12-2019 08:02 AM
    The same with @Mooncatt’s default password suggestion, made 2d ago. No responses from anyone affected by this.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-12-2019 08:27 AM
    I did try "default_password". It didn't work. Any other suggestions that are perhaps less snarky and more useful?

Oh and Safe Mode doesn't work either. I can get to the Safe Mode prompt, but tapping or holding doesn't actually do anything.
    07-12-2019 08:41 AM
    After running the new update my phone wants a password , I have never put a password on my phone.
    This is the crux of the problem. Unless the ops are not activating their phones, using as a quasi tablet, they, and us, selected a email account with a password to get in the play store and download apps during initial setup. A lot of the posts state the phone has been in use for a while, but not set up to ever need a pw. Something doesn't compute.
    07-12-2019 08:43 AM
    I did try "default_password". It didn't work. Any other suggestions that are perhaps less snarky and more useful?

Oh and Safe Mode doesn't work either. I can get to the Safe Mode prompt, but tapping or holding doesn't actually do anything.
    Unless we get feedback we can't rule things out. There was nothing "snarky" about it. Clearly you don't appreciate the help people are trying to give you. We all do these replies, in our spare time, for no reward to help people. Here's a "more useful suggestion". Wait for ATT to sort it out.
    BerryBubbles likes this.
    07-12-2019 08:57 AM
    This is the crux of the problem. Unless the ops are not activating their phones, using as a quasi tablet, they, and us, selected a email account with a password to get in the play store and download apps during initial setup. A lot of the posts state the phone has been in use for a while, but not set up to ever need a pw. Something doesn't compute.
    I've tried my current Google password, my current Samsung password, and the other 3 passwords I've used since I bought the phone in March. It's not that.

I can boot into recovery mode and download mode, but I lack the kung fu to do anything with that. I'm down to my last password attempt before a hard reset, so I guess I lose my data to the Gods of QA Imbeciles.
    07-12-2019 09:18 AM
    I've tried my current Google password, my current Samsung password, and the other 3 passwords I've used since I bought the phone in March. It's not that.

I can boot into recovery mode and download mode, but I lack the kung fu to do anything with that. I'm down to my last password attempt before a hard reset, so I guess I lose my data to the Gods of QA Imbeciles.
    Have you tried safe mode , how the article mention?
    07-12-2019 09:21 AM
    Have you tried safe mode , how the article mention?
    Safe Mode won't work. I can get to the icon but tapping/holding doesn't actually reboot the phone. It just times out until I'm back at the lock screen.
    07-12-2019 09:32 AM
    Safe Mode won't work. I can get to the icon but tapping/holding doesn't actually reboot the phone. It just times out until I'm back at the lock screen.
    Can you get to recovery?
    07-12-2019 09:35 AM

Did you have your Samsung account doing routine backups? Google backups?
    I wonder if you'll still need a password after you reset.
    Posters who state they never used a password id like to know how the phone was being used as to never be required.
    07-12-2019 09:40 AM
    Did you have your Samsung account doing routine backups? Google backups?
    I wonder if you'll still need a password after you reset.
    Posters who state they never used a password id like to know how the phone was being used as to never be required.
    I've been using a PIN since day one.

I can boot to recovery/download.
    07-12-2019 09:49 AM
    If you read my comment initially suggesting that, you'd see that there was no snark at all and that there was a very legit reason for trying it.
    07-12-2019 09:52 AM
    I've been using a PIN since day one.

I can boot to recovery/download.
    If you can into recovery perform factory reset
    07-12-2019 09:55 AM
    If you read my comment initially suggesting that, you'd see that there was no snark at all and that there was a very legit reason for trying it.
    Yeah that's on me. I'm incensed that I'm going to lose data because of yet another shoddy OS update and I lost my patience. I do apologize.
    07-12-2019 10:09 AM
    Yeah that's on me. I'm incensed that I'm going to lose data because of yet another shoddy OS update and I lost my patience. I do apologize.
    No worries. I've been burned by enough OS updates that I now block them if at all possible.
    07-12-2019 10:34 AM
    You wouldn't if you kept the phone backed up. Imagine if Google said "Sorry, all your data is gone because one of our hard drives went".

If everything is backed up, do a factory reset, get into the phone and restore everything.

You can't keep Samsung from sending out defective updates, but you can keep from losing important data.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-12-2019 01:42 PM
    You wouldn't if you kept the phone backed up. Imagine if Google said "Sorry, all your data is gone because one of our hard drives went".

If everything is backed up, do a factory reset, get into the phone and restore everything.

You can't keep Samsung from sending out defective updates, but you can keep from losing important data.
    I agree
    07-12-2019 02:09 PM
    It's possible , but no one came forward to try to work with us , just my Samsung did this and there gone .
    I had to ship my phone back to Samsung to get it unlocked! Nothing would work on the phone not even a reset was still asking for password. Customer service is totally useless
    07-12-2019 04:08 PM
    I had to ship my phone back to Samsung to get it unlocked! Nothing would work on the phone not even a reset was still asking for password. Customer service is totally useless
    Sorry to hear that , this is a first that something like this happened , hope Samsung straighten this out.
    07-12-2019 04:23 PM
112 12345