A software update just took place on my S10, now it is asking for a password.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

ColonelChaos

Jul 10, 2019
Visit site
I can confirm that the password locking issue has been a sporadic problem for *some* Samsung S10 owners, and is a result of a glitch with the June update. Unfortunately, waiting on Samsung to fix it is a lost cause...and it wouldn't help anyway because customers with this problem are already locked out of their S10's.

First option you can try - hold volume down + power for at least 10 seconds, then your S10 should power down. As soon as the screen goes black, try holding volume up + Bixby button + power button to get into Recovery. If you get into Recovery, go ahead and factory reset from there. Should get you back up and running.

If that doesn't work, entering the password incorrectly 15 times should cause the S10 to factory reset itself. This will allow you to reset your S10 with your Gmail/Google account.

You could also try and re-flash your S10. To get into Download mode, instead of holding volume up + bixby + power after powering the device down, you'd hold volume down + bixby + power to get into Download mode. This would allow you to connect your S10 to a Windows PC and use Odin to flash. The process of flashing a Samsung S10 is covered in detail if you search the web. It does take time, requires some additional technical knowledge, but overall it's not a bad process.

What triggers or causes this "glitch" is not yet known. It seems fairly random, and only a small % of customers have reported this issue so far...some have updated and have not encountered this issue, while others have indeed encountered this problem. For anyone who hasn't updated to the June release, make sure your S10 is backed up, set a PIN or a password as the lock screen type and ensure it works before running the update. No guarantee that will prevent this problem but it should help.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
At this point they gave no choice but to flash the firmware or try factory reset , they can't get into their phones , and that's if those 2 methods work .
It was asking for a password even though one wasn't set-up by the user. It sounds like the phone's default password isn't supposed to be requested to to use it, so my thinking is maybe the glitch is now causing it to ask for that default. I'm still not totally convinced this is a real issue, but this is a possible solution if it is.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It was asking for a password even though one wasn't set-up by the user. It sounds like the phone's default password isn't supposed to be requested to to use it, so my thinking is maybe the glitch is now causing it to ask for that default. I'm still not totally convinced this is a real issue, but this is a possible solution if it is.

It's possible , but no one came forward to try to work with us , just my Samsung did this and there gone .

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
Same issue. I've had the phone for months. Always use a pin (required by work). Just did the OS update and now it's asking for a password. I've run through every password I use.

Not only is this confusing, but really BS that updating the OS would change my security settings without permission.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if these phones can boot into safe mode as mentioned in the article

You’d think that posters in this thread would have tried that and sent feedback in the 16h since you posted that, wouldn’t you? It would only take one minute to try it. But no.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Same issue. I've had the phone for months. Always use a pin (required by work). Just did the OS update and now it's asking for a password. I've run through every password I use.

Not only is this confusing, but really BS that updating the OS would change my security settings without permission.
Did you try using "default_password" like I suggested several comments up?

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
I did try "default_password". It didn't work. Any other suggestions that are perhaps less snarky and more useful?

Oh and Safe Mode doesn't work either. I can get to the Safe Mode prompt, but tapping or holding doesn't actually do anything.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s10 wants a password after update

After running the new update my phone wants a password , I have never put a password on my phone.
This is the crux of the problem. Unless the ops are not activating their phones, using as a quasi tablet, they, and us, selected a email account with a password to get in the play store and download apps during initial setup. A lot of the posts state the phone has been in use for a while, but not set up to ever need a pw. Something doesn't compute.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I did try "default_password". It didn't work. Any other suggestions that are perhaps less snarky and more useful?

Oh and Safe Mode doesn't work either. I can get to the Safe Mode prompt, but tapping or holding doesn't actually do anything.

Unless we get feedback we can't rule things out. There was nothing "snarky" about it. Clearly you don't appreciate the help people are trying to give you. We all do these replies, in our spare time, for no reward to help people. Here's a "more useful suggestion". Wait for ATT to sort it out.

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site

This is the crux of the problem. Unless the ops are not activating their phones, using as a quasi tablet, they, and us, selected a email account with a password to get in the play store and download apps during initial setup. A lot of the posts state the phone has been in use for a while, but not set up to ever need a pw. Something doesn't compute.

I've tried my current Google password, my current Samsung password, and the other 3 passwords I've used since I bought the phone in March. It's not that.

I can boot into recovery mode and download mode, but I lack the kung fu to do anything with that. I'm down to my last password attempt before a hard reset, so I guess I lose my data to the Gods of QA Imbeciles.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I've tried my current Google password, my current Samsung password, and the other 3 passwords I've used since I bought the phone in March. It's not that.

I can boot into recovery mode and download mode, but I lack the kung fu to do anything with that. I'm down to my last password attempt before a hard reset, so I guess I lose my data to the Gods of QA Imbeciles.
Have you tried safe mode , how the article mention?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084