Be very careful before installing the latest update

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm lucky that I have the unlocked version and updates roll out last to us, because I've been checking every few days for over a week now. Since the issue seems to be related to asking for a password, I wonder what would happen if you put in a password just because you knew it was going to ask for one? Later you could delete it but would it work?

I also wonder if it would affect the unlocked phones the same because in the OP's link the story almost sounds like it is only affecting carrier branded devices...?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But I think the problem is happening on phones that already have a PIN/password set, and the password it's asking for after the update is different from the one the user created.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
But I think the problem is happening on phones that already have a PIN/password set, and the password it's asking for after the update is different from the one the user created.
No, it's also asking for passwords from some users who never set one up.

The AT&T support forum had some of the first complaints I'd seen about this issue, starting about a week and a half ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, I realize that -- but the fact that it's happening to people who never set a password as well as those who did set a password suggests that it doesn't matter if the user sets a password, because the phone is expecting a different one (or isn't even expecting one at all, and just incorrectly throws up the password entry screen).

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, I realize that -- but the fact that it's happening to people who never set a password as well as those who did set a password suggests that it doesn't matter if the user sets a password, because the phone is expecting a different one (or isn't even expecting one at all, and just incorrectly throws up the password entry screen).

I see.

Over in the XDA forums, someone suggested that maybe, somehow, an internal development password was initiated on the user side by accident and never turned off prior to the final build/compile/whatever-it-is they do to package the OS. It was even posted what that default password was (I think is was "default_password"). Whatever it was, another user tried it and it didn't work.

I haven't seen a picture of what it's asking. If it's different than the usual boot-up password/PIN request screen.

Not that I could offer any helpful suggestions. I'm still on an S9. But now I'm nervous about any upcoming update for that phone. It's close to about time for their July security update.