Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10

erinrua

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
I am finally registered so I can ask this question officially. I have a new Galaxy S10 and the talk to text is a mess. It does not matter if I use Samsung or Google Voice, they are equally bad. ---

When I try to use talk to text, it will hang there as if listening, but does not type, or it only types one or two words and just stops. If I restart it to resume dictation, it may erase what it already typed and start over. Or it may just sort of hang there and take several seconds of doing nothing until abruptly typing the sentence all at once. ---

Sometimes it seems to invent words or ad words I never said, especially at the end of sentences. And it seems to struggle with punctuation, often spelling out the word period or translating comma as common. -- I also get an error where talk to text freezes, makes a booping sound and a message appears that reads reads, "An error has occurred, please try again later." ---

I have tried recording my own voice and playing it back and I sound normal. The built-in microphone is not missing any words. I do not have any sort of heavy regional or ethnic accent. But talk to text has performed nearly all of these glitches while dictating this post. ---

If you reply, please make note of all the details I have given. I experience these problems here, in Facebook and Facebook Messenger, in texting, in emails and in Samsung Notes. So it is across multiple apps. ---

The only other detail I can think to add is that I live in a rural area, but I never have an issue with dropped phone calls, so I don't know if that matters. It seems just as crappy when I go into town. Should I just take the dang phone back to the Verizon store and complain? ---

My previous phone was a Galaxy S6 Mini and while talk to text was quirky, at least it was functional. Now, this post has taken me at least 15 minutes to composed by talk to text.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, thanks for registering, I'll post some screenshots see if your settings are same as mine just to start off .
I am finally registered so I can ask this question officially. I have a new Galaxy S10 and the talk to text is a mess. It does not matter if I use Samsung or Google Voice, they are equally bad. ---

When I try to use talk to text, it will hang there as if listening, but does not type, or it only types one or two words and just stops. If I restart it to resume dictation, it may erase what it already typed and start over. Or it may just sort of hang there and take several seconds of doing nothing until abruptly typing the sentence all at once. ---

Sometimes it seems to invent words or ad words I never said, especially at the end of sentences. And it seems to struggle with punctuation, often spelling out the word period or translating comma as common. -- I also get an error where talk to text freezes, makes a booping sound and a message appears that reads reads, "An error has occurred, please try again later." ---

I have tried recording my own voice and playing it back and I sound normal. The built-in microphone is not missing any words. I do not have any sort of heavy regional or ethnic accent. But talk to text has performed nearly all of these glitches while dictating this post. ---

If you reply, please make note of all the details I have given. I experience these problems here, in Facebook and Facebook Messenger, in texting, in emails and in Samsung Notes. So it is across multiple apps. ---

The only other detail I can think to add is that I live in a rural area, but I never have an issue with dropped phone calls, so I don't know if that matters. It seems just as crappy when I go into town. Should I just take the dang phone back to the Verizon store and complain? ---

My previous phone was a Galaxy S6 Mini and while talk to text was quirky, at least it was functional. Now, this post has taken me at least 15 minutes to composed by talk to text.
Screenshot_20190716-152014_Settings.jpegScreenshot_20190716-151954_Settings.jpeg

erinrua

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
Well, mine don't look exactly like yours but let me try a screen shot in return.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190716-134240_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716-134240_Settings.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 15

erinrua

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
I don't see Bixby or Gboard in my list of options, but I will change the preferred over to Google. I've been changing it back-and-forth between Google and Samsung on the keyboard, for example right now when I have the keyboard open. If this is all it takes, you will be my new favorite person for the day!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't see Bixby or Gboard in my list of options, but I will change the preferred over to Google. I've been changing it back-and-forth between Google and Samsung on the keyboard, for example right now when I have the keyboard open. If this is all it takes, you will be my new favorite person for the day!
Haha I like that , just for a day
Hopefully it will work , change any settings there to Google also , the Samsung text to speech is horrible.

erinrua

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
Screencaps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190716-140751_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716-140751_Settings.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20190716-140735_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716-140735_Settings.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 13

erinrua

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
And now a test. The quick brown fox jumped over the whatever the hell it jumped over, and the cow jumped over the moon. Mary Had a Little Lamb and Old MacDonald Had a Farm. Oh my gosh! This may be a fix. Thank you thank you thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Lmfaoooo ..I like your sense of humor
Please say it's good
And now a test. The quick brown fox jumped over the whatever the hell it jumped over, and the cow jumped over the moon. Mary Had a Little Lamb and Old MacDonald Had a Farm. Oh my gosh! This may be a fix. Thank you thank you thank you!

erinrua

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
Lmfaoooo ..I like your sense of humor
Please say it's good

I think it's good. I don't mind the occasional misunderstood word, that just makes for a laugh. But I swear, it was like talking to an old deaf senile person who doesn't really speak English! I think you fixed my phone! I don't have to kill it after all. You rock like a rocking thing. Thank you! :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hahaha, your welcome
I live another day
I think it's good. I don't mind the occasional misunderstood word, that just makes for a laugh. But I swear, it was like talking to an old deaf senile person who doesn't really speak English! I think you fixed my phone! I don't have to kill it after all. You rock like a rocking thing. Thank you! :)

steve_ma

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I went through this thread out off curiosity. While my voice to text experience wasnt awful... it wasn't great either. I switched to the Google engine and see much better performance.

Thanks from an accidental benefactor.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I went through this thread out off curiosity. While my voice to text experience wasnt awful... it wasn't great either. I switched to the Google engine and see much better performance.

Thanks from an accidental benefactor.
Glad it worked out for you also

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I haven't tried voice to text on the S10+ yet but I was curious as to how you send that text? My car will read incoming texts to me and on my previous phone which was a LG G6 I tried to use "Hey Google" to respond and it did compose the text but I still had to hit a button on the phone to send it which to me is strange because I thought the whole thing was for it to be "hands free".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith