07-20-2019 04:57 PM
26 12
tools
    I am finally registered so I can ask this question officially. I have a new Galaxy S10 and the talk to text is a mess. It does not matter if I use Samsung or Google Voice, they are equally bad. ---

When I try to use talk to text, it will hang there as if listening, but does not type, or it only types one or two words and just stops. If I restart it to resume dictation, it may erase what it already typed and start over. Or it may just sort of hang there and take several seconds of doing nothing until abruptly typing the sentence all at once. ---

Sometimes it seems to invent words or ad words I never said, especially at the end of sentences. And it seems to struggle with punctuation, often spelling out the word period or translating comma as common. -- I also get an error where talk to text freezes, makes a booping sound and a message appears that reads reads, "An error has occurred, please try again later." ---

I have tried recording my own voice and playing it back and I sound normal. The built-in microphone is not missing any words. I do not have any sort of heavy regional or ethnic accent. But talk to text has performed nearly all of these glitches while dictating this post. ---

If you reply, please make note of all the details I have given. I experience these problems here, in Facebook and Facebook Messenger, in texting, in emails and in Samsung Notes. So it is across multiple apps. ---

The only other detail I can think to add is that I live in a rural area, but I never have an issue with dropped phone calls, so I don't know if that matters. It seems just as crappy when I go into town. Should I just take the dang phone back to the Verizon store and complain? ---

My previous phone was a Galaxy S6 Mini and while talk to text was quirky, at least it was functional. Now, this post has taken me at least 15 minutes to composed by talk to text.
    07-16-2019 02:54 PM
    Hi, thanks for registering, I'll post some screenshots see if your settings are same as mine just to start off .
    I am finally registered so I can ask this question officially. I have a new Galaxy S10 and the talk to text is a mess. It does not matter if I use Samsung or Google Voice, they are equally bad. ---

When I try to use talk to text, it will hang there as if listening, but does not type, or it only types one or two words and just stops. If I restart it to resume dictation, it may erase what it already typed and start over. Or it may just sort of hang there and take several seconds of doing nothing until abruptly typing the sentence all at once. ---

Sometimes it seems to invent words or ad words I never said, especially at the end of sentences. And it seems to struggle with punctuation, often spelling out the word period or translating comma as common. -- I also get an error where talk to text freezes, makes a booping sound and a message appears that reads reads, "An error has occurred, please try again later." ---

I have tried recording my own voice and playing it back and I sound normal. The built-in microphone is not missing any words. I do not have any sort of heavy regional or ethnic accent. But talk to text has performed nearly all of these glitches while dictating this post. ---

If you reply, please make note of all the details I have given. I experience these problems here, in Facebook and Facebook Messenger, in texting, in emails and in Samsung Notes. So it is across multiple apps. ---

The only other detail I can think to add is that I live in a rural area, but I never have an issue with dropped phone calls, so I don't know if that matters. It seems just as crappy when I go into town. Should I just take the dang phone back to the Verizon store and complain? ---

My previous phone was a Galaxy S6 Mini and while talk to text was quirky, at least it was functional. Now, this post has taken me at least 15 minutes to composed by talk to text.
    Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-152014_settings.jpegTalk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-151954_settings.jpeg
    07-16-2019 03:21 PM
    Well, mine don't look exactly like yours but let me try a screen shot in return.
    Attached Thumbnails Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-134240_settings.jpg  
    07-16-2019 04:43 PM
    And another.
    Attached Thumbnails Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-134509_settings.jpg  
    07-16-2019 04:46 PM
    Well, mine don't look exactly like yours but let me try a screen shot in return.
    Ok how about this settings same place Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-164705_settings.jpeg
    07-16-2019 04:47 PM
    And another.
    That preferred change to Google
    07-16-2019 04:48 PM
    I don't see Bixby or Gboard in my list of options, but I will change the preferred over to Google. I've been changing it back-and-forth between Google and Samsung on the keyboard, for example right now when I have the keyboard open. If this is all it takes, you will be my new favorite person for the day!
    07-16-2019 05:06 PM
    Oops okay, now I think I see it. New screencaps.
    07-16-2019 05:08 PM
    I don't see Bixby or Gboard in my list of options, but I will change the preferred over to Google. I've been changing it back-and-forth between Google and Samsung on the keyboard, for example right now when I have the keyboard open. If this is all it takes, you will be my new favorite person for the day!
    Haha I like that , just for a day
    Hopefully it will work , change any settings there to Google also , the Samsung text to speech is horrible.
    07-16-2019 05:09 PM
    Screencaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-140751_settings.jpg   Talk to text fubar Android Galaxy S10-screenshot_20190716-140735_settings.jpg  
    07-16-2019 05:09 PM
    Screencaps.
    Looks good so far
    07-16-2019 05:10 PM
    And now a test. The quick brown fox jumped over the whatever the hell it jumped over, and the cow jumped over the moon. Mary Had a Little Lamb and Old MacDonald Had a Farm. Oh my gosh! This may be a fix. Thank you thank you thank you!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-16-2019 05:11 PM
    Lmfaoooo ..I like your sense of humor
    Please say it's good
    And now a test. The quick brown fox jumped over the whatever the hell it jumped over, and the cow jumped over the moon. Mary Had a Little Lamb and Old MacDonald Had a Farm. Oh my gosh! This may be a fix. Thank you thank you thank you!
    07-16-2019 05:13 PM
    Lmfaoooo ..I like your sense of humor
    Please say it's good
    I think it's good. I don't mind the occasional misunderstood word, that just makes for a laugh. But I swear, it was like talking to an old deaf senile person who doesn't really speak English! I think you fixed my phone! I don't have to kill it after all. You rock like a rocking thing. Thank you! :-)
    mustang7757 likes this.
    07-16-2019 05:14 PM
    Hahaha, your welcome
    I live another day
    I think it's good. I don't mind the occasional misunderstood word, that just makes for a laugh. But I swear, it was like talking to an old deaf senile person who doesn't really speak English! I think you fixed my phone! I don't have to kill it after all. You rock like a rocking thing. Thank you! :-)
    07-16-2019 05:18 PM
    Hahaha, your welcome
    I live another day
    Oh I was only going to kill the phone, not you! :-) Thanks again and have an awesome day.
    07-16-2019 05:31 PM
    Oh I was only going to kill the phone, not you! :-) Thanks again and have an awesome day.
    Hahaha..No problem , your welcome, and thanks again for registering to fix this .
    Welcome to AC Forums!
    07-16-2019 05:32 PM
    I went through this thread out off curiosity. While my voice to text experience wasnt awful... it wasn't great either. I switched to the Google engine and see much better performance.

Thanks from an accidental benefactor.
    07-17-2019 05:32 AM
    I went through this thread out off curiosity. While my voice to text experience wasnt awful... it wasn't great either. I switched to the Google engine and see much better performance.

Thanks from an accidental benefactor.
    Glad it worked out for you also
    07-17-2019 09:42 AM
    I haven't tried voice to text on the S10+ yet but I was curious as to how you send that text? My car will read incoming texts to me and on my previous phone which was a LG G6 I tried to use "Hey Google" to respond and it did compose the text but I still had to hit a button on the phone to send it which to me is strange because I thought the whole thing was for it to be "hands free".
    07-17-2019 10:24 AM
    I haven't tried voice to text on the S10+ yet but I was curious as to how you send that text? My car will read incoming texts to me and on my previous phone which was a LG G6 I tried to use "Hey Google" to respond and it did compose the text but I still had to hit a button on the phone to send it which to me is strange because I thought the whole thing was for it to be "hands free".
    I don't think talk-to-text is designed to be hands free. It's just a way to compose a text, email or other message without pecking at those itty bitty phone keys, and to do so at a talking rather than finger-pecking speed. So, I have to hit Send once I compose the text, email or message, just the same as if I'd typed it by hand.
    Jezza819 likes this.
    07-18-2019 12:49 AM
    I don't think talk-to-text is designed to be hands free. It's just a way to compose a text, email or other message without pecking at those itty bitty phone keys, and to do so at a talking rather than finger-pecking speed. So, I have to hit Send once I compose the text, email or message, just the same as if I'd typed it by hand.
    Ok thanks. Turns out I was doing it right, I just wasn't sure.
    07-18-2019 06:27 PM
    I don't have to hit a button to send mine I say hey Google send a text to my husband and I speak what I want to say it says you want to send the text and I say yes I don't have to touch my phone at all.

My phone was defaulted to Samsung when I first got it and I hated it and then I figure it out to change it to Google and it gets my speaking right most of the time. I'm glad you got yours fixed!
    07-19-2019 01:58 AM
    I don't have to hit a button to send mine I say hey Google send a text to my husband and I speak what I want to say it says you want to send the text and I say yes I don't have to touch my phone at all.

My phone was defaulted to Samsung when I first got it and I hated it and then I figure it out to change it to Google and it gets my speaking right most of the time. I'm glad you got yours fixed!
    The phone asks you if you want to send the text? How does it know you're finished dictating it?
    07-19-2019 09:59 AM
    The phone asks you if you want to send the text? How does it know you're finished dictating it?
    It will wait for a short time after you stop dictating, then it'll read back to you what you dictated, then ask if you want to change it or send it.
    07-20-2019 02:15 AM
26 12