Proximity sensor? Galaxy S10+. MAJOR ISSUE!

CraigHHH

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
Guys, this issue is driving me NUTS, and I have no idea what to do.
I've cleared the phone's cache, and I've booted in Safe Mode, and the problem persists.

I press "Play" on a Whatsapp voice note, and it takes a whole second to switch to the earpiece only and for the screen to go black, instead of it doing it instantly!

Anyone else having this issue? Seems to be a hardware thing, but maybe this is something that can be fixed with a software update...?

EDIT: happens when I'm calling someone too. Takes a whole second for it to turn off the screen when I start a call and put the phone on my ears. Very annoying!

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Guys, this issue is driving me NUTS, and I have no idea what to do.
I've cleared the phone's cache, and I've booted in Safe Mode, and the problem persists.

I press "Play" on a Whatsapp voice note, and it takes a whole second to switch to the earpiece only and for the screen to go black, instead of it doing it instantly!

Anyone else having this issue? Seems to be a hardware thing, but maybe this is something that can be fixed with a software update...?

EDIT: happens when I'm calling someone too. Takes a whole second for it to turn off the screen when I start a call and put the phone on my ears. Very annoying!
Maybe problem on WhatsApp end?
Did you try clearing cache there and force close?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, and this was NOT a problem with my OnePlus 5, nor it's a problem with my mom's iPhone XS Max, nor it's a problem with my dad's Huawei Mate 20 Lite.
Ok , just trying help you figure this out.
I have WhatsApp on my following devices also no issues. But want try help you figure it out .
iPhone x
Note 9
1+6
Pixel 3xl
S10+
Those phones I have it on but regardless let's see if we can figure your issue out .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can you go to settings then apps > 3 Dots upper right corner tap> reset app preference see if anything changes?

CraigHHH

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
Can you go to settings then apps > 3 Dots upper right corner tap> reset app preference see if anything changes?

that didn't work, and now my Whatsapp chats appear with the numbers only, not the names. And to fix it, I need to follow the instructions found on https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/30019297/, and I don't know what that's going to do with my Whatsapp chats. Here we go again, uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

It's a phone issue. And Samsung needs to answer for this. Thanks anyway

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
that didn't work, and now my Whatsapp chats appear with the numbers only, not the names. And to fix it, I need to follow the instructions found on https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/30019297/, and I don't know what that's going to do with my Whatsapp chats. Here we go again, uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Oh sorry didn't workout, you can get hold of Samsung through the members app let them Know your issue .

Dec 16, 2018
Visit site
There is definitely something buggy about it. I've hung up a few calls accidentally with my face as well, just using the regular phone app.

Also occasional pocket dials and music starts playing randomly after leaving car / Android Auto, which I suspect may be the sensor as well.

Hopefully just a software issue!

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Doesn’t work with some apps. Runtastic push-ups Pro doesn’t work at all on my S10 5G. Doesn’t recognize the face approaching

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Samsung needs to answer for this? You sound like you're special and entitled. Nobody wants to receive a defective phone but it happens.

Do you realize there are going to be lemons?

Have you contacted Samsung for a replacement?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Its phone. On regular dialer I occassionally notice my phone call is paused. It is because somehow my ear triggers the 3 dots on dialer and hits pause. Usually only happens on incoming calls so I am going to disable AOD and see if that is related...somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith