Password Vault Apps

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Going to move to using a password app. I've never used one so I'd like some feedback from those of you who have.

What password apps have you tried that you no longer use and why did you quit using them?

What app do you use now and why do you like it?

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Used: BlackBerry Password Keeper - Stopped using it because it's not available everywhere I need it to be. It's a phone only app.
Moved to: 1Password. It's pricey, and subscription based but it's everywhere I need it to be. Multiple devices, desktop, etc. and it's a solid app with great features and an excellent track record of secuirty AFAIK.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use Enpass and am pretty happy with it. Main reason is because subscriptions rub me the wrong way.

I used Dashlane for a while but stores y after it deleted all my passwords and failed to load a backup.

If you're cool with a monthly sub I'd say lastpass looks like it's probably the best all around.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What password apps have you tried that you no longer use and why did you quit using them?

I've only used one after much research, so I can't answer this question. I just wanted to first recognize that it's a very astute question to ask.

I personally use Last Pass. There is a yearly charge for premium features, but the basic version is free. I love it for the cross platform compatibility, all encryption and decryption is performed on your device (their servers never get access to your raw info), you can get a storage vault for notes and files, and ease of use. This was the video that sold me on it.

https://youtu.be/r9Q_anb7pwg

Note that it is a little old and some of it is out of date (I.e. The premium price has gone up, but I believe mobile access is now included in their free services). They start talking about it at 53:30 into the video. There's a couple extra things worth mentioning too.

There is no master password recovery/reset if you forget yours. Since they never have access to that, it's likely impossible to have that feature even if they wanted. Instead, you can create a custom password hint to help you remember. Because this is a hint you create yourself, it can also be a bit cryptic. I.e. "My birthplace city, split in half with birth year backwards." So if born in Boston and your birth year was 1976, your master password could be "Bos6791ton" You'll obviously want something better than that, but it makes the point.

Also, and this goes for any password manager, don't use a PIN number for quicker login. I don't remember if LP still has this option, but it can be a huge security risk by essentially locking your vault with only 4 digits. It is ok to use fingerprints (face recognition has been tricked rather easy, even with forensics level detective work).

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
About a year ago I tried LastPass, Dashlane, and 1Password. I chose 1Password and have been happy with it.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no master password recovery/reset if you forget yours. Since they never have access to that, it's likely impossible to have that feature even if they wanted. Instead, you can create a custom password hint to help you remember. Because this is a hint you create yourself, it can also be a bit cryptic. I.e. "My birthplace city, split in half with birth year backwards." So if born in Boston and your birth year was 1976, your master password could be "Bos6791ton" You'll obviously want something better than that, but it makes the point.

Not correct. You can fully setup recovery for LastPass.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to do a lot of reading on Lastpass, 1pass, Bitwarden and Enpass.

If anyone has other suggestions I'm still to them.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not correct. You can fully setup recovery for LastPass.
When I signed up, this wasn't an option and I hadn't seen any updates announcing it (their emails are not very regular). I'll stand corrected, and they do now have a few options that seem to give that flexibility without giving up too much security (though I do still see some potential issues). I'm glad they are opt-in features, though. If you have security concerns about allowing recovery methods, simply don't set them up. I found a recent blog on it here.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/05/never-lose-access-lastpass-account-recovery-mobile.html/

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
When I signed up, this wasn't an option and I hadn't seen any updates announcing it (their emails are not very regular). I'll stand corrected, and they do now have a few options that seem to give that flexibility without giving up too much security (though I do still see some potential issues). I'm glad they are opt-in features, though. If you have security concerns about allowing recovery methods, simply don't set them up. I found a recent blog on it here.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2019/05/never-lose-access-lastpass-account-recovery-mobile.html/

They had it years before this as well. I have been with LP for the past 3 or so years and they have had recovery as options ever since. They only recently introduce the mobile recovery but other methods have been available for a long long time.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I use Roboform. I admit that the fingerprint login doesn't always work on my device but otherwise it works to auto-fill passwords in web pages and apps (not copy/paste, it just fills once you select the password to fill). There's a cost to sync across devices (Roboform Everywhere, about $2 a month billed annually with discounts for multi-year plans), and they allow you to designate someone as your "backup" in case something happens to you and someone needs to get to your accounts.

Roboform is cross-platform as well, Android, Windows, macOS, iOS...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've used eWallet for years - many, many years.

It's available for multiple Android, iOS, Windows and Mac, even Blackberry . By default, your data resides only on your device, but if you want to, you can set it to sync among your devices via your *own* Dropbox account.

Oh, and no subscription pricing...

https://www.iliumsoft.com/ewallet

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
this is an important thread. for all the passwords we have to remember these days, having an app that can do it would be great. i will be keeping an eye on this thread to find one suitable for me as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar